The man with a pencil in his head

Donjeta

Adji Desir, missing from Florida
Reaction score
Pencil extracted from Afghan man's head
German doctors say an Afghan man who for years suffered from headaches, a runny nose and eyesight problems was found to have a 10-centimetre (four-inch) pencil lodged in his head
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22699975

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162...removes-pencil-from-mans-head-after-15-years/

A 20-month-old girl from New Boston, N.J. accidentally fell off the sofa when drawing and impaled herself through the right eye with a colored pencil. Remarkably, it missed every major blood vessel, nerve and artery and was successfully removed by doctors at Boston Children's Hospital.

In Dec. 2011, the British Medical Journal reported on a 76-year-old woman who went to a U.K. hospital with unexplained weight loss, only for doctors to find a felt-tip pen had been lodged in her body for at least 25 years. Not only did the pen miss perforating the small intestine, it still was able to write once doctors pulled it out.

In 2007, a German woman had a pencil removed from her head after it was lodged there during a childhood accident a remarkable 55 years earlier. A piece of a pencil about four-fifths of an inch long could not be removed.

Support pen control!

Stories Sould like the old Ripley's Beleive It or Not......!
:cat:

When asked how the pencil had got there he recalled that as a boy he had once fallen and had a serious nosebleed.
:dunno: ........ :liar: ........ :noooo:

Guess while he had the pencil in his head, he was always in his write mind. :drumroll:

His friends thought that it was odd that he always wanted to wear yellow clothing.

Not only did the pen miss perforating the small intestine, it still was able to write once doctors pulled it out.

Bahahaha! I had this vision of the surgeon plucking the pen out: *SCRIBBLESCRIBBLE* "Hey it's still good!"

Pencil guy could feasibly suffer a profound sense of loss after losing his inner writing implement. His confidence might be sketchy, to the point of asking:

"2B or not to 2B?"

Aussies of a certain vintage will get this one :D

Attachments

• mr-squiggle.jpg
    mr-squiggle.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2
Pencil extracted from Afghan man's head
German doctors say an Afghan man who for years suffered from headaches, a runny nose and eyesight problems was found to have a 10-centimetre (four-inch) pencil lodged in his head

Wow. When I was around 5yrs old, my older bully brother stabbed me in the forehead with a sharp pencil and my mom took me to the Emergency Room because there was a chunk of lead embedded into my forehead. The Doctors told her to leave it, not to mess with it because if they removed it, it would cause lead poisoning. (at least i think that's what they said, if i remember correctly)

Now 35 years later, the lead is still in my forehead, it's a greenish-blue color and if I put my finger on it, it moves around under the skin (it's kinda gross feeling) It's not very noticeable until i point it out, once i do, you can definitely tell there's a chunk of lead in my head. hahaha What's weird, is I have the same exact symptoms going on as this man did... Mainly a runny nose and a watering right eye along with some eyesight problems and slight headaches. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. It seems my nose is constantly running, like i have the sniffles, but i am never sick. It's not from a cold or anything... Ever! Same with my watering right eye... it's not from allergies or anything, it just tears up every morning for a few hours and then stops... but it's annoying as hell!o

I wonder if it's doing more damage by remaining in my head or if I should've sought treatment to get it removed? But since that first doctor told my mom it was dangerous to remove it, due to the risk of lead poisoning, I just never bothered to pursue medical treatment. I wonder if by leaving it there, if it will only cause it to progressively get worse? :scared:

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

If so, I'd love to hear em'

Thanks!
:newbie:

Wow. When I was around 5yrs old, my older bully brother stabbed me in the forehead with a sharp pencil and my mom took me to the Emergency Room because there was a chunk of lead embedded into my forehead. The Doctors told her to leave it, not to mess with it because if they removed it, it would cause lead poisoning. (at least i think that's what they said, if i remember correctly)

Now 35 years later, the lead is still in my forehead, it's a greenish-blue color and if I put my finger on it, it moves around under the skin (it's kinda gross feeling) It's not very noticeable until i point it out, once i do, you can definitely tell there's a chunk of lead in my head. hahaha What's weird, is I have the same exact symptoms going on as this man did... Mainly a runny nose and a watering right eye along with some eyesight problems and slight headaches. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. It seems my nose is constantly running, like i have the sniffles, but i am never sick. It's not from a cold or anything... Ever! Same with my watering right eye... it's not from allergies or anything, it just tears up every morning for a few hours and then stops... but it's annoying as hell!o

I wonder if it's doing more damage by remaining in my head or if I should've sought treatment to get it removed? But since that first doctor told my mom it was dangerous to remove it, due to the risk of lead poisoning, I just never bothered to pursue medical treatment. I wonder if by leaving it there, if it will only cause it to progressively get worse? :scared:

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

If so, I'd love to hear em'

Thanks!
:newbie:

I don't think you can get lead poisoning from a pencil tip unless it was an antique pencil from the medieval ages. What is called the lead is generally made of graphite which is carbon based, and clay.
In the first half of the 20th century or so, pencils may have been painted with paint containing lots of lead though which could have been ingested if chewing pencils.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite"]Graphite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil"]Pencil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I don't think you can get lead poisoning from a pencil tip unless it was an antique pencil from the medieval ages.

hahaha lmfao! :floorlaugh:

What is called the lead is generally made of graphite which is carbon based, and clay.

Seriously? whoa, so all this time I have been walking around with graphite and clay in my head? hahaha! so why is the little chunk embedded there a greenish blue color? I thought that's what color the lead became under the skin, no?

In the first half of the 20th century or so, pencils may have been painted with paint containing lots of lead though which could have been ingested if chewing pencils.

Wow, so what do you think made the man with the pencil in his head experience these symptoms? since he didn't actually ingest the pencil, or chew on it, the paint wouldn't have caused it would it? Or just the mere fact that he had a 4 inch pencil in his head could've caused a plethora of symptoms, since it was in there so long?

So do you think there is any danger in having this chunk of granite and clay in my head for 35 years? Do you think it's safe to have it removed?

I wonder why the Doctor told my mom that? Or maybe that's just what my mom "told" me the Doctor said huh? Lol :moo:

Thanks for the input, i totally appreciate it and the reference. Quite interesting. I didn't know any of that :)

Graphite, not granite.

I'm no doctor but I don't think poisoning is a serious issue if you've got a small chunk of graphite in your head. I would imagine that the main risks are infection, if you leave it there, and possible facial scarring, if it's removed. Either way it's probably a small risk if it's been there uninfected for 35 years and the scarring would likely be minimal if it's a very tiny piece.

JMO but I think the man with the 4 inch pencil in his head probably had the symptoms because the strange sharp object had caused injury in his sinuses and his eyesocket and his symptoms had little or nothing to do with the possibility of lead.

If your injury is just a fragment under the skin it's not as drastic as that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back