CA - Beaten, starved German shepherd dumped at Oakland shelter

Columbo

Reaction score
This is absolutely horrendous. At this point I think the poor baby is still alive and they have some hope to save her, but she is in horrendous pain, beaten and starved, with a bungee cord embedded in her neck.

There's video footage of the monster who dumped her at the shelter. Just leaves the crate there with a push of his foot, turns and walks away. Heartless #$%^&*.

Beware, you may not want to see this video--it's heartbreaking:
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Abused-Dog-Dumped-at-Shelter-209619531.html

So, I have been pondering this story-I had to come back to it after I had calmed down.

Why did he drop her at the shelter at all? I mean talk about a mixed message here. This was an expensive animal, probably. She is beautiful-you can see she is. Why torture this beauty in such a monstrous fashion and then bring her to a shelter? Why not finish your crime? I mean, he is on surveillance camera-he is going to be caught.

I dont get it. I really dont.

I am glad he dropped her off because her memories now will be of care and concern, and if they cannot save her, her final moments will be filled with love and sorrow.

Dude-you are a pathetic loser. Not that he cares what the rest of us think....but still.

OMG I have never seen anything that horrible. That poor, sweet baby dog. I am praying for her...oh God LOVE her! crying...

I am going to use my crystal ball and bet this is part of a domestic violence case. JMO.

So, I have been pondering this story-I had to come back to it after I had calmed down.

Why did he drop her at the shelter at all? I mean talk about a mixed message here. This was an expensive animal, probably. She is beautiful-you can see she is. Why torture this beauty in such a monstrous fashion and then bring her to a shelter? Why not finish your crime? I mean, he is on surveillance camera-he is going to be caught.

I dont get it. I really dont.

I am glad he dropped her off because her memories now will be of care and concern, and if they cannot save her, her final moments will be filled with love and sorrow.

Dude-you are a pathetic loser. Not that he cares what the rest of us think....but still.

bolded by me.

I know, it makes no sense--the carrier looks like a nice carrier, too. You'd think a person who treats an animal like that would be so skanky they wouldn't have a carrier at all--maybe a box. If they even bothered taking her to the shelter. And why take the chain, too?

Maybe the kid who dumped her had nothing to do with the abuse, but it was a lame attempt to "rescue" her? I just don't know.

Whoever did this deserves the same treatment as the poor animal, times ten, as far as I'm concerned.

bolded by me.

I know, it makes no sense--the carrier looks like a nice carrier, too. You'd think a person who treats an animal like that would be so skanky they wouldn't have a carrier at all--maybe a box. If they even bothered taking her to the shelter. And why take the chain, too?

Maybe the kid who dumped her had nothing to do with the abuse, but it was a lame attempt to "rescue" her? I just don't know.

Whoever did this deserves the same treatment as the poor animal, times ten, as far as I'm concerned.

BBM

I was wondering the same. That shelter is a No Kill shelter I believe.

I can't bear to look.

Poor sweet girl. Female German Shepherd's are amongst the most loyal parts of a family.

Prayers she will not suffer too much any longer and be nursed back to health. It takes a monster to starve and hurt a devoted family member who only wants to please and protect.

I've been searching the internet trying to find out if the poor baby is still alive. I did find a facebook page for Julie Haener, who is a newscaster on KTVU in the Bay Area. She says that the dog had to be euthanized. She wrote this 14 hours ago, but I am not sure if it's correct (sorry, Julie! I'm skeptical because I want this dog to live). Apparently it's impossible to reach the SPCA by phone.

BBM

I was wondering the same. That shelter is a No Kill shelter I believe.

You're right, popsicle. They don't euthanize for space or time--here's what the website says:

"We will euthanize when an animal requires medical treatment that goes beyond our ability to humanely provide, or has a condition that puts other shelter animals or workers at risk."

https://eastbayspca.org/page.aspx?pid=1022

Yes, she was euthanized:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=9123512

!!WARNING: don't click on the video link in that article if you are at all sensitive to images of abuse!!

She was in kidney failure and other organs were shutting down. Given that, it was kinder to put her out of her extreme misery than attempt recovery. There is a $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of whoever did this (reward from a private group, not the Oakland shelter).

This comes on the heels of three extreme animal abuse cases in SF. Which i won't even link to because I am still nauseated about it, days later.

Poor baby. If I were the person on the tape, I would turn myself in pretty quickly.

That poor baby! I passionately love German shepherds and have a gorgeous 90 pound sable female that I rescued from Animal Control 3 1/2 years ago. I can't imagine how anyone could do that to a dog.

Yes, she was euthanized:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=9123512

!!WARNING: don't click on the video link in that article if you are at all sensitive to images of abuse!!

She was in kidney failure and other organs were shutting down. Given that, it was kinder to put her out of her extreme misery than attempt recovery. There is a $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of whoever did this (reward from a private group, not the Oakland shelter).

This comes on the heels of three extreme animal abuse cases in SF. Which i won't even link to because I am still nauseated about it, days later.

I was really hoping they'd be able to save her--I was surprised to see that she was able to stand. Poor thing!!! It's just heartbreaking; she's a beautiful dog! I kept waking up at night trying to figure out how the vets could even give her pain meds if her kidneys were shutting down....i guess there was no way to help her at all. At least she has no more pain now and can rest in peace. Why on earth would anyone do this? :crying:

Well this is weird, I can't find a link to what I read yesterday about the reward, but the ALDL's own site says $1,000 and they're the ones offering the reward so they should know the amount! Sorry for posting incorrect info in my previous post, I will edit it.

I am glad she is no longer suffering. Although this is heartbreaking, it helps to know there are so many GOOD people who care, including Websleuthers.

ETA: I guess it's too late to edit my previous post, so again my apologies

I am so freaking outraged!!!!! She deserved to live. Her organs were shutting down from starvation but that can be reversed. I have seen it countless times. I wish I had known about her situation and that she had been near me. I am beyond devastated!!!!

I have 4 rescues. Two are German Shepherds, one is a Belgian Malinois and one is a Boxer. The white GSD was a horrific cruelty case and she still suffers PTSD 9 years later. She thrives on routine and staying home and that is how we structure things for her. We have a dog door to a fenced yard because our two abuse cases get very anxious if they feel cut off from the family. The Boxer also was starved and chained and had an imbedded chain. He's very neurotic but has calmed down a lot. The other two are emotionally healthy nuts that were too much work for people who decided to toss them out like garbage.

Three times we were advised to euthanize our white GSD because it was determined that she was suffering and that it would be too expensive to care for her. Thank the Lord we didn't. When she was younger and learned to play... I still remember the way my heart felt like it would explode. And the day she was afraid and first ran to me, and not away to cower, was right up there with watching my children's milestones. I am so devastated today!

I can't watch the video. Animal abuse stories haunt and disturb me.

I did notice the headline...Oakland, CA. Either very rich or very much a .

I can't watch the video either. I have raised 4 German Shepherds and loved them with all of my heart. I cannot bare to watch that video. I do hope they find out who mistreated that poor dog. I am not sure that the person who is seen in the video is thew guilty party though. Maybe they found the dog and brought them to safety?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back