Southeast States - AL, AR, LA, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN - Weather Discussion

Buzz Mills

Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
Heavy Storms Threaten Mardi Gras Events

NEW ORLEANS - The Bacchus Lounge is a shell of its former self — gutted to the studs after Hurricane Katrina flooded it to the ceiling — but the Krewe of Dreux was determined to celebrate Mardi Gras at the little neighborhood bar Saturday and, weather permitting, march through the surrounding devastation. Heavy storms in the forecast threatened to drown many of the day's activities: the large, like the celebrity-studded Krewe of Endymion's parade on elaborate floats through the relatively unscathed Uptown area; and the small, like the ragtag Krewe of Dreux's 34th annual trek through the flood-ravaged Gentilly neighborhood.

"We're winging it," Bacchus patron and Krewe of Dreux member Dave Stephens, who helped gut the bar, said Friday. "We're going to see what the weather does. We plan to march. If the weather prevents that, then we'll party at the Bacchus." This is the last big weekend of the annual Carnival season, culminating on Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, on Feb. 28 with parades and street parties in and around the city. Tourism officials and merchants are hoping that the event will gin up an economy reeling since Katrina hit on Aug. 29, flooding 80 percent of the city and dispersing more than two thirds of the population.

There were promising signs Friday in the French Quarter, as the streets began filling with revelers, many in costumes — white Elvis jumpsuits, sexy bustiers, T-shirts with obscene slogans taking aim at government officials. "We're already starting to pack them in," said a jubilant Lisa Linscott, bartender at the Old Absinthe House bar.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060225/ap_on_re_us/mardi_gras_7

They cancelled Endymion. It will roll after Bacchus tomorrow.

Strangely, it is sunny and 77 degrees. GORGEOUS!

At least eight people were killed when a tornado slammed into northwestern Tennessee's Dyer County, emergency official says.

Nothing yet, just on the breaking news bar on CNN

we getting a very bad storm where i live at now, very high wind's and hard rain the worst storm we had in a while...

christine2448 said:
At least eight people were killed when a tornado slammed into northwestern Tennessee's Dyer County, emergency official says.

Nothing yet, just on the breaking news bar on CNN

(don't ask me how it posted this thread 3 times, but I PM's mod of this forum and asked them to fix it)
Did you mean Dyersburg?

Tennessee has long been considered part of a secondary Tornado alley -- the only twisters I ever experienced were the ones that hit Nashville when I was a kid and again in 1998. Thanks for this, I'm looking into it. No close family in TN anymore, but it's still home.

Steve

Up to 19 dead in 6 states. Prayers for them all.

Dark Knight said:
Up to 19 dead in 6 states. Prayers for them all.
This is just terrible. I think they are expecting to find more dead, but I hope not.

The National Weather Service says it's possible that a tornado went right through downtown Indianapolis.

Let me tell you........I am in East Tennessee and we had horrid storms starting about 9 pm last night and lasting til about 6 this morning. I can't imagine them being any worse than they were here, but we did not have tornado activity, thankfully. We had several tornado watches through the night, but nothing materialized. Several trees down, stuff blown out of place, some power outages, but definitely not the devastating blow they took to the west.

The storms were bad here. I kept waiting to hear a freight train. Thankfully I didn't. Prayers to those who were less fortunate.

JMHO

Our sirens have been going off all day today even though the weather is clear. I am metro Atlanta. Maybe it is just a test.

A bit of irony that today is the anniversary of the Super Outbreak in the same general area:

1974 -- At 2:07pm a tornado touched down near Morris, Illinois. Over the next eighteen hours another 147 twisters would touch down over the eastern third of the United States, comprising the largest known tornado outbreak, dubbed the Super Outbreak. 315 people were killed, 6142 injured, over 27,500 families had some sort of loss, and damage was estimated at $600 million.

Anybody know if the tornado went through Chattenooga? My brother lives there and I just heard about this, it's too late to call.

In the second wave of violent weather to hit the state in less than a week, severe thunderstorms and tornadoes tore off roofs, overturned cars and left 11 people dead.

While families of Sunday's tornado victims in the western counties of Dyer and Gibson planned funerals for this weekend, many residents of Sumner County began picking through newly flattened homes and mangled cars.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060408/ap_on_re_us/severe_storm

It's just horrible. My heart goes out to everyone this touched. I just sat here watching the news a min ago and cried for all the devastated areas.

We had the same storms tonight but were so lucky and blessed. I've heard of two injuries so far. These things are so deadly and so scary!

Hey all-

I'm not familiar with TN, but I have to ask - was this second round of twisters close to Goodlettsville? My employer has a branch located there and the first twisters leveled it (everyone's ok at least). I'm just hoping they didn't get a second dose.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back