Midwest States - IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, SD, ND, NE, WI, OH - Weather Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Knight

Reaction score
PUBLIC SEVERE WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1132 AM CDT THU MAY 25 2006

...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS EXPECTED OVER PARTS OF THE OHIO VALLEY THIS
AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT...

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING THE
DEVELOPMENT OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS OVER PARTS OF THE OHIO VALLEY
THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

THE AREAS MOST LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE THIS ACTIVITY INCLUDE

INDIANA
KENTUCKY
OHIO

SURROUNDING THE MODERATE RISK AREA...THERE IS A SLIGHT RISK OF
SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS FROM PARTS OF THE MID SOUTH AND OZARKS ACROSS
THE LOWER TENNESSEE AND OHIO RIVER VALLEYS TO THE MID ATLANTIC
COAST.

A STRONG JET STREAM DISTURBANCE...IN CONJUNCTION WITH DAYTIME
HEATING AND THE PERSISTENT INFLOW OF WARM AND MOIST AIR NEAR THE
SURFACE...WILL SET THE STAGE FOR INTENSE THUNDERSTORMS OVER PARTS OF
THE OHIO VALLEY TODAY.

THE STORMS...INCLUDING SUPERCELLS WITH HIGH WIND...HAIL AND
TORNADOES...LIKELY WILL FORM IN SEVERAL BANDS FROM SOUTHERN LOWER
MICHIGAN SOUTHWESTWARD INTO INDIANA...SOUTHERN ILLINOIS AND WESTERN
OHIO BY MID TO LATE AFTERNOON. SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE ONGOING
ACROSS MIDDLE TENNESSEE AND THESE STORMS MAY PERSIST OVER MUCH OF
TENNESSEE AND MOVE INTO THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS THROUGH THE DAY.
OTHER INTENSE STORMS MAY FORM A BIT LATER IN THE DAY OVER WESTERN
AND NORTHERN KENTUCKY AND WESTERN TENNESSEE. SOME OF THE ACTIVITY
COULD REMAIN STRONG INTO THE NIGHT...SPREADING GENERALLY EAST AND
SOUTH TO THE WESTERN SLOPES OF THE APPALACHIANS.

WHILE THE MOST SIGNIFICANT SEVERE THREAT IS EXPECTED TO BE DAMAGING
STRAIGHT LINE WINDS AS THE STORMS ORGANIZE INTO LINES...INDIVIDUAL
CELLS COULD PRODUCE LARGE HAIL AND A FEW STRONG
TORNADOES...ESPECIALLY DURING THEIR EARLY STAGES OF DEVELOPMENT IN
WESTERN OHIO...INDIANA AND WESTERN/NORTHERN KENTUCKY.

THOSE IN THE THREATENED AREA ARE URGED TO REVIEW SEVERE WEATHER
SAFETY RULES AND TO LISTEN TO RADIO...TELEVISION...AND NOAA WEATHER
RADIO FOR POSSIBLE WATCHES...WARNINGS...AND STATEMENTS LATER TODAY.

..EVANS.. 05/25/2006

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/pwo.html

Powerful storms with rain and strong winds left nearly half a million homes and businesses without power early Thursday as the region braced for another day of 100-degree heat. Power officials said it could take five days to restore electricity.

The summer storm that tore through the Midwest on Wednesday ripped off a section of airport roof and dumped it on an interstate, blew windows out of a hotel restaurant and baseball stadium press box and injured more than 30 people. At least three St. Louis-area buildings partially collapsed.

The city's light rail system, down for several hours, was running again by the Thursday morning rush hour, but at least 450,000 customers were still without power, according to utility company AmerenUE.

"This is one of the worst storms we can all remember to hit the city of St. Louis in recent years," St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060720/ap_on_re_us/summer_storms_3&printer=1;

I saw this on the Weather Channel at lunch. Quite an impressive storm. I hope they get a break for a few days before more bad weather moves through, but in that part of the country at this time of year I would not be surprised if another bad one rolled through today.

The Mid Atlantic region just had similar storms pass thru the area on Tuesday..

There were upwards of 500,000 without power as of Wednesday morning.. many area residents spent the night without power and as of today there are still hundreds of thousands that are still without power.

Many stores and businesses were closed, and lost much of the perisable foods due to the lack of power.. and ice was not available in most locations.. it had all been sold. Stores are still recovering.. many have bare shelves where much of their goods have perished and have not yet been replaced..

Significant damage was felt in the region stemming from the wind ( in excess of 65 mph), rain and hail. many trees have been damaged, or had fallen due to the wind. A number of people have been killed by falling trees etc.

Its estimated that come homes may not reciev their power until as late as Monday..

scary stuff these storms.. and highly unusual.

Hope you guys are safe and sound. I am here in NC and we have had that High Pressure system sitting around and it has kept much needed rain away from us.

curious1 said:
Hope you guys are safe and sound. I am here in NC and we have had that High Pressure system sitting around and it has kept much needed rain away from us.
Beryl didn't help you any? Or did the high pressure keep him too far away to help?

Nope. Beryl just waved as he went by. I live very far inland, but my parents live on the coast and I don't think they got anything. I will have to check with them. At the most they might have gotten a few rain showers. Here nothing. We had a severe TS alert yesterday around 5 PM that was suppose to expire at 6:15 PM. It expired around 5:45 PM. It just had all it's energy sucked out and nothing feeding it. It sat SW of us and rained for about 20 mins and threw around some wind and lightening, but there was nothing to feed it once it expended it's energy.

Destructive Straight Line Winds in LaPorte County

A National Weather Service assessment team has preliminarily concluded a damage survey of the affected areas. All damage that was observed was consistent with straight line wind damage. There was no evidence of a tornado.

A supercell thunderstorm developed Wednesday afternoon along a lake breeze boundary just south of Milwaukee, Wisconsin . The storm moved southeast and then south over the lake continuing to intensify. As the storm moved onshore in Michigan City, Indiana, a 106 mph wind gust was recorded at the GLERL observation site near the Michigan City lighthouse. The storm produced extensive damage in Michigan City with numerous trees and power lines down, some on cars and buildings. A train was blown off the tracks in northern Porter County . Golf ball sized hail, which covered the ground in places, was also reported with this storm. Washington Park was especially hard hit as thunderstorm winds swept in off the lake. The largest in water boat show in the Great Lakes was setting up in the park for a 4 day show. Several boats and trailers were destroyed, and the tents and merchandise were significantly damaged and scattered all over.

The storm continued to produce damage as it moved south through LaPorte County with extensive damage in Westville and the City of LaPorte . As the storm continued south into Starke County , tennis ball sized hail was reported along U.S. Route 30, a few miles west of Hamlet. The storm continued to produce large hail and strong winds as it dropped south through Pulaski and White counties with damage reported in Winamac, Medaryville, and Monticello .

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/iwx/?n=laportedamage8_23_06

Holy Cow that is a STRONG wind gust! :eek:

Even thought it's a ways from us, I had a call during my radio show from someone at La Porte describing the scene, and it sounded like a war zone. Absolutely unreal!

I remember monitoring this storm on the radar, and thinking it looked like one of the worst storms I have ever seen. Unfortunately, it delivered.

Rescuers searched early Saturday for people believed trapped in a partially collapsed hospital after a massive tornado roared across this southwest Kansas community.

The tornado struck Friday night, leaving a broad swath of destruction in the Kiowa County town about 110 miles west of Wichita. For hours later, the same storm front continued to spawn tornadoes along a path stretching northeast from Greensburg through central Kansas.

Emergency medical crews, law enforcement personnel and search and rescue teams from throughout southwest Kansas and as far east as Wichita raced toward Greensburg after the twister struck.

All communications to the Kiowa County town of about 1,600 people were knocked out by the tornado, and the Kansas Department of Transportation sent its Communications on Wheels mobile unit from Wichita to restore 911 service.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070505/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather&printer=1

This was a bad one--1.5 miles wide,much larger than typical tornado,struck at 11:20 pm,16 people in critical condition--town of 1500 is 60% destroyed--nothing worse than a tornado at night--you hear it but can't see it--MSNBC showed the incredible destruction this morning

CNN is reporting that 7 lives have been lost due to this tornado. :(

My heart and prayers go out to all the families affected. And, to the entire town of Greensburg (or maybe I shoud say, what's left of it). Sad.

News is reporting that 90% of Greensburg has been destroyed. The entire town had to be evacuated as there is no structure safe enough there for people to evacuate to.

Weather forecasts more bad weather for today and tomorrow for that same area.

The devastation is truly horrific.

Lots of pictures at this link http://www.kansas.com/
Where is FEMA? They have not arrived yet according to Sen Sam Brownback(R-KS).
This community needs lots of prayers.

This community needs lots of prayers.

Yes, they sure do, Shadow. Fox News is now reporting nine deaths. Sadly, I think there will be more fatalities discovered as the day passes.

Imagine well over 1000 people with no homes, no cars, no nothing! And, more storms headed their way. :(

Senator Pat Roberts was just on the phone with Trace Gallagher (FNC) and told him that if they (Fox) have helicopters on the way to Greensburg, to turn them around, as there is a new tornado warning. The senator stated he estimates the devastation there to be a 95%.

Looks like at least an F-4--Winds probably over 200 mph--The town is in pieces--total destruction--

Wow my heart goes out to these people I'm sure glad that we moved out of KS.

Wow my heart goes out to these people I'm sure glad that we moved out of KS.

Lucky for you, Windchime. It is heartbreaking.

Fox showed an interview of a couple who lost not only their home but also their (Ace) hardware store, with their two little girls who looked to be about three. One daughter, clutching her stuffed animal, said her house was all in little pieces now. That brought tears to my eyes, plus watching their Dad trying to contain his emotions in front of his daughters, while looking at the spot where his hardware store used to be.

Prayers and donations (Red Cross) could really be beneficial. This is utter devastation of an entire town!

My heart hurts for these poor people who have lost so much. I hope that through donations and other ways we can help them rebuild their town. If we can help do that then perhaps we can help them to heal from this tragedy, too. This reminds me of the Jarrell tornado on May 27th, 1997. I was there doing a search, and it was very challenging to be there. Gosh, these poor people. They are in my thoughts and in my prayers.

Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member