Discussion of Related Weather Info and Regions

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
I've always been confused about where Oh fell when they talked about regions.

It doesn't feel like it is in the west. It is in the eastern half of the country. But it is listed as Midwest. Go figure.

Growing up, KS was considered a midwestern state - in fact, the ne plus ultra of midwestern states. Then it slowly became "central region." Here in OK, ten miles from the SE KS line, hard by the borders of both Missouri and Arkansas, I am now considered to be in the "southwestern region," with NM, AZ, et al. Miles from here to Albuquerque: 749.

Growing up, KS was considered a midwestern state - in fact, the ne plus ultra of midwestern states. Then it slowly became "central region." Here in OK, ten miles from the SE KS line, hard by the borders of both Missouri and Arkansas, I am now considered to be in the "southwestern region," with NM, AZ, et al. Miles from here to Albuquerque: 749.

LOL I am guessing your area didn't move?

Just some scientists perception of where you are moved?

Breakdown Map of The Regions

Why is the midwest called the midwest I wonder. Never questioned or thought about this before, but aren't these states closer to the east than the west? Especially when considering the states that are considered to be central. Just a weird observation. Maybe the states' regional name took hold before the real west was developed and just stuck and stayed that way.

Why is the midwest called the midwest I wonder. Never questioned or thought about this before, but aren't these states closer to the east than the west? Especially when considering the states that are considered to be central. Just a weird observation. Maybe the states' regional name took hold before the real west was developed and just stuck and stayed that way.

I have no clue, I always thought it was strange.

I've always been confused about where Oh fell when they talked about regions.

It doesn't feel like it is in the west. It is in the eastern half of the country. But it is listed as Midwest. Go figure.

LOL! Before I read your post, I posted something similar. Maybe we need to rename our regions!

I consider Iowa and Kansas midwestern states, always have. Kansas is further west from where I grew up in the 'midwest' - ha!
Shouldn't central be in the middle? Or, why not simply divide mid east and mid west and call it a day?

Hm. Let's see. The geographic center of the contiguous 48 United States, says Wiki, "is pinpointed by a historical marker that is located within a small park at the intersection of AA Road and K-191, accessible by a turn-off from U.S. Route 281 approximately a mile north of the town of Lebanon KS." (Been there!) So it's fair to call Kansas "central region," I suppose, even though that's about as milquetoast a description as one will find. (What about the Dorothy-inspired "There's no place like home" region, I ask you? Darn.) Kansas National Guard needs to arm and push east to reclaim our "midwestern" designation.

How about we just change the thread titles to the states...lol.. Now I am confused

Let me know if the Title threads with the states are better

Hm. Let's see. The geographic center of the contiguous 48 United States, says Wiki, "is pinpointed by a historical marker that is located within a small park at the intersection of AA Road and K-191, accessible by a turn-off from U.S. Route 281 approximately a mile north of the town of Lebanon KS." (Been there!) So it's fair to call Kansas "central region," I suppose, even though that's about as milquetoast a description as one will find. (What about the Dorothy-inspired "There's no place like home" region, I ask you? Darn.) Kansas National Guard needs to arm and push east to reclaim our "midwestern" designation.

Oh heck....now you tell us after we built the Arch in St. Louis! :floorlaugh: We can still claim to be the 'gateway' to the mid-west.

The Arch is so cool. Looks as perfect as a silver safety pin with both ends stuck into the earth, from a jet plane thousands of feet above. One of the highlights of senior trip, riding to the top and peering out its windows at the thick brown bootlace of a mighty river far below. I love St. Louis, but, then, I would, as I've been a Cardinals fan for life.

How about we just change the thread titles to the states...lol.. Now I am confused

We may just have to see what eventually works best. This is not an easy forum to start! Quite frankly I don't know how I'd name the threads. If there is an earthquake say in Big City, California or only the Florida keys were threatened by a hurricane those will be easy. But if there is Mississippi heavy rains and flooding along Missouri, Illinois, Louisiana it might be a little tricky.

It will all work out in the end. We will all figure it out.

I'm just very excited to have a weather sub forum, especially under Up to the Minute forum where it is easy to find quickly.

The Arch is so cool. Looks as perfect as a silver safety pin with both ends stuck into the earth, from a jet plane thousands of feet above. One of the highlights of senior trip, riding to the top and peering out its windows at the thick brown bootlace of a mighty river far below. I love St. Louis, but, then, I would, as I've been a Cardinals fan for life.

I wouldn't go up in the Arch. Hubby and kids did but me the mom bravely stayed down on the ground floor coward section. I have vertigo and hate heights. Not afraid to fly though.

FWIW -- I think the term "Midwest" is an historical term, rather than geographical.... but then again we call our area the great lakes states so what do I know :p

We will Figure it out and I am starting a new thread just for Discussions

Ok I have moved all our post here so we do not clog the Midwestern thread.

Well that could be interesting, every time a storm system crossed state lines a new thread would pop up. If they did a few back and forths like they sometimes do or if it is a long storm system threads would go crazy.

But no, I don't think we should change it. This is the way the media describes this area (I think.)

LOL I just think of it every time I see this area described as the Midwest. So it just sort of popped out...... autotyped

LOL I am guessing your area didn't move?

Just some scientists perception of where you are moved?

I dunno...at the rate the severity of these storms is increasing, I'm expecting to see OK in my backyard any storm now.

And if AR, OK, TX, NM and LA are due south of "Central," then why isn't this area called "South Central" instead of "Southwest?"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back