New England, ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, CT - Weather Discussion

Misfitdolly

Reaction score
Many homes and cars are under water and people have been rescued from homes and cars by boats that can float down the roadways. We have had bridges collapse and sections of roads just wash away.
Aerial video of one of our malls which is half under water:

http://www2.turnto10.com/jar/news/local/historic_flooding/article/video_warwick_mall_aerials/34187/

The main news site that has countless photos and stories on the main page:

http://www2.turnto10.com/jar/news/

I am very fortunate that our home is fine, we have a pond in the back yard that wasn't there before but none has made it into the house that the sump pump couldn't handle.

Oh thank god you and your home are ok Misfit....how horrible!!

I was *very* fortunate myself. My neighbors across the street, not so much. I have never seen so many number of hoses coming out of one home(s) in this part of the State. Roads closed. Behind me, they have a literal lake. It's a mess here. :(

I live in RI as well. Thankfully, my house hasn't been damaged. My neighborhood was evacuated yesterday due to a bridge and a dam upstream that are in danger of collapsing. I think everything will be okay, though. I'm glad everyone else is okay!

BOSTON — At least four people were killed when tornadoes touched down Wednesday in Springfield, Mass., and a number of nearby towns. The twisters flipped vehicles, collapsed buildings and stunned residents who are not used to such violent storms.

Gov. Deval Patrick activated the National Guard and declared a state of emergency. He said that at least two tornadoes had hit and that serious damage had been reported in 19 communities, many of them small towns along the Massachusetts Turnpik

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/02/us/02tornado.html?_r=2&hp

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who was in line of these bad storms.

This stuff scares the crap out of me. I live in a small town in PA and we do get storms/wind but I am so scared of getting a tornado now because of all this crazy weather. We've had warnings but a lot of times they have passed us and we just get a storm. The county next to me had an EF1 touch down it did some damage but nothing majorly destructive and no deaths or anything. I used to be afraid of storms when I was little but eventually I got over it. Well that fear is back full force ever since we got this one really bad storm when we were under tornado warning a few weeks ago. Ever since I've been paranoid. Like this crap in MA didn't even happen to me and I have anxiety over it.

BOSTON — At least four people were killed when tornadoes touched down Wednesday in Springfield, Mass., and a number of nearby towns. The twisters flipped vehicles, collapsed buildings and stunned residents who are not used to such violent storms.

Gov. Deval Patrick activated the National Guard and declared a state of emergency. He said that at least two tornadoes had hit and that serious damage had been reported in 19 communities, many of them small towns along the Massachusetts Turnpik

This stuff scares the crap out of me. I live in a small town in PA and we do get storms/wind but I am so scared of getting a tornado now because of all this crazy weather. We've had warnings but a lot of times they have passed us and we just get a storm. The county next to me had an EF1 touch down it did some damage but nothing majorly destructive and no deaths or anything. I used to be afraid of storms when I was little but eventually I got over it. Well that fear is back full force ever since we got this one really bad storm when we were under tornado warning a few weeks ago. Ever since I've been paranoid. Like this crap in MA didn't even happen to me and I have anxiety over it.

From what I understand tornado season lasts through June, but now comes hurricane season.They do say if conditions are right tornadoes can hit almost anytime of the year. Hope we don't get a lot of cat 4 and 5, hurricanes this season, I'm still thinking about all that BP oil coming ashore, with a couple of really strong storms, to totally ruin the environment.

One tornado hit 5 miles from my dad in West Springfield .
We were all frantic but he is okay . I feel so bad for all the people affected by tornados this year .

I sure understand your fear. I have always had a storm phobia. Last month we had a tornado roll right past our neighborhood and I have to pass the miles of destruction every day to go anywhere. Mostly trees leaning or broken off or uprooted. It was an F3 and 2 people died. But, now that my worst fear has happened, my dread has lessened.

The odds of having one in your area are very slim. Being hit by it is a million to 1. If hit, being injured is rare. They make a lot of noise and knock down trees and huff and puff. But overall that is all they are, wind and noise. Try not to let them make you nervous and I will try to do the same.

Where are all the NEnglanders, lol? It is looking like TS Andrea will be coming our way. The weatherman did say that it won't be a TS when it gets here, but we will be getting A LOT of rain - starting tonight through Sat. morning...

Ok, tangentially related to weather lol - Anyone else in NE TIRED of the insane allergy season we seem to be having? Not even the rain has gotten rid of all the pollen here, and there is some nasty white stuff blowing all over making it look like its snowing (and making me sick as a dog!).

And the temps have taken a nose dive... Just got a pool, and now despite having full sun on it, the water turned too cold to go in... :waiting:

Ok, tangentially related to weather lol - Anyone else in NE TIRED of the insane allergy season we seem to be having? Not even the rain has gotten rid of all the pollen here, and there is some nasty white stuff blowing all over making it look like its snowing (and making me sick as a dog!).

And the temps have taken a nose dive... Just got a pool, and now despite having full sun on it, the water turned too cold to go in... :waiting:

Cottonwood seed is blowing here too.I had to come in from cutting the grass.It sticks to everything.I hate it with a flaming passion.YUCK!

Thank you! I never knew what it was, just little white puffballs... Now I have a name for what I'm complaining about lol!

I can't be the only one here to complain about the heat, can I?

Anyone else dyin? Can't do anything, too damn hot! :help:

No your not GL - SWELTERING here in CT...In a house with no AC, no window units, nothin' but a fan...

I am from CA (Bakersfield) and am used to 100+ heat, but with no humidity. It's been downright MISERABLE! It looks like some relief is coming by Sunday...

I can't be the only one here to complain about the heat, can I?

Anyone else dyin? Can't do anything, too damn hot! :help:

It's low 90's here and believe you me it's cool compared to last year's triple digit heat wave for weeks. That being said it looks like we may start hitting some freakin' hot weather soon....boy oh boy will I be complaining then! It will be my whine time.

Apparently the Great Lakes folks and us here in New England are expected to get some nasty weather later in the week? A derecho? Never heard of that one yet, will have to look up more about it. Just glancing at the weekend forecast though they're saying our areas could get sideways rain, hail, bad lightning, etc.

I don't care though, if it cools it off, LET IT COME. Like you said, PML, it's the humidity. If it didn't feel like I was walking through water outside, it wouldn't be half so bad. Ugh!

And boy, the weather is giving everyone road rage... Even worse than usual for us "Ma$$hole" drivers! :lol:

Oh that sounds fun, and its supposed to happen right when I'll be making a three hour drive north to get my daughter from camp. :crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back