Valedictorian Speech

Wonder if he'd have got the same public support for disrupting the ceremony and disrespecting the rules if his religion had been anything other than christian?

Ack. Consider the source. It's "The Blaze", Glenn Beck's baby. Appropriate for church. Not a commencement ceremony.

I love it. I'm an atheist and couldn't care what prayer or language he used. He's valedictorian, so he is a bright kid. I just love how it gets under the skin of some people. Those in attendance loved it as well.

“Those that we look up to, they have helped carve and mold us into the young adults that we are today,” he said. “I’m so glad that both of my parents led me to the Lord at a young age.”

“And I think most of you will understand when I say…” he paused. “Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name…”

The auditorium began to erupt with applause and cheers.

Pickens County School District spokesman John Eby said that no disciplinary action will be taken against Mr. Costner.

“The bottom line is, we’re not going to punish students for expressing their religious faiths,” he told Christian News. “He’s a graduate now. There’s nothing we can do about it, even if we wanted to.”

Attendee Logan Gibson told reporters that he thought “it took a lot of courage” to do what Mr. Costner did, Christian News reported.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/5/crowd-stunned-after-valedictorian-rips-speech-reci/

The Washington Times is not the Blaze not that it matters or changes the facts.

Yes, it's very courageous to publicly recite a Christian prayer in a majority Christian nation where even the people running for office have to make a show during election time about what good Christians they are simply to satisfy a loud section of the electorate. :rolleyes:

Taking a page from Nova, call me when someone reads from the Quran, the Upanishads, the Tao Te Ching, the Sutras, or heck, even Dorothy Day or Thomas Merton.

Ack. Consider the source. It's "The Blaze", Glenn Beck's baby. Appropriate for church. Not a commencement ceremony.

How is a prayer not appropriate for a graduation speech? I never thoght I'd see the day when reciting The Lords Prayer would get so many undies in a bundle.

Just reread all the posts and no one is claiming it to be an 'act of courage'.

The "courage" remark is a quote from the article. Never said anyone here said it. Just caught my eye as a particularly ridiculous characterization of what the kid did.

I Congratulate him on his achievement.
It was his moment, the people there applauded, seems they enjoyed it.

[video=youtube;1nIr4zBz18E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nIr4zBz18E[/video] - YouTube[/url]

He's obviously a bright boy, and also an arrogant one. He held the rules of the place he supposedly respected in utter contempt. Not to mention that you'd think those god fearin' folk, so keen to honour god's word, might be better acquainted with his actual teaching about praying in public to make a point.

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. Matthew 6:5,6 NIV

Essentially he was on an ego trip. I just find it hilarious that people are responding to it like he's some grand defender of faith while he's flouting christ's own instruction on how to behave.

Yep, ego tripping and arrogant. Wonder if he'll expect applause and attention in future when he decides to break rules he'd already accepted. "Stand up for what you believe in" - even if it goes against your word and what the bible says!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back