3 men missing in same Toronto ON neighborhood, 2010-2012

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.680news.com/2013/06/06/police-investigating-3-missing-men-from-church-and-wellesley-area/

"TORONTO, Ont. – Police canvassed the Church and Wellesley area, Thursday, looking to see if there is a connection between three missing men who were all regulars in the neighbourhood. Two disappeared in late 2010 and a third in 2012.

Toronto police said the three men did not know each other. They have been identified as Majeed “Hamid” Kayhan, 58, Abdulbasir “Basir” Faizi, 44 and Skandaraj “Skanda” Navaratnam, 40 years of age.

Constable Tony Vella told 680News the first man was seen leaving a bar with an unknown man"

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/police-probing-cases-of-3-missing-men-from-church-and-wellesley-1.1314030

Bbm

"
Skandaraj “Skanda” Navaratnam, 40, who was last seen leaving Zippers nightclub on Carlton St. on Sept. 6, 2010. Friends said he had recently bought a puppy, and it was out of character for him to leave the dog behind. Navaratnam’s identification, money and laptop were also left behind in his apartment.
Abdulbasir “Basir” Faizi, 42, who was reported missing to Peel Police on Dec. 29, 2010. Faizi was last seen leaving a restaurant in the Church and Wellesley area. His car was later found about four kilometres from the neighbourhod.
Majeed “Hamid” Kayhan, 59, lived in the Church and Wellesley area and was last seen by his son on Oct. 14, 2012.

Eight detectives have been working the case since last December. While the lead detective would not comment on whether police believe a serial killer may be at work, the homicide squad is monitoring the investigation"

Read more: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/police-pr...-church-and-wellesley-1.1314030#ixzz2VU0FONbJ

Were the three men into men? Also, are they all of the same nationality? TIA

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/pdfs/26688.pdf
"Investigators have concluded there are a number of similarities between the three men and
they have not been seen since they were reported missing.
On Thursday, June 6, 2013, at 10 a.m., police will be canvassing and handing out flyers in the
Church Street/Wellesley Street East area.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at the hotline number 416−808−5110,
Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416−222−TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR
and your message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on Facebook. Download the free
Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.
Constable Tony Vella, Corporate Communications, for Detective Deb Harris, 51 Division"

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/06/three-missing-men-cases-may-be-linked-toronto-police

"“Specifically, they looked for individuals with similar ethnicity and lifestyle who were associated to the Church and Wellesley area,” Vella said.

Surprisingly, the officers found two other cases that fit the profile

Abdulbasir “Basir” Faizi, 44, was reported missing in Peel Region on Dec. 29, 2010, only a few months after Navaratnam disappeared.

“Subsequent investigation places his last known whereabouts in the Church-Wellesley area,” Vella said.

Faizi’s car, a 2002 Nissan, was later found on Moore Ave, near Mount Pleasant Rd. and St. Clair Ave. E.

And nearly two years after the Brampton man vanished, Majeed “Hamid” Kayhan, 59, was reported missing by his son to Toronto cops
"
The 59-year-old was last been seen Oct. 14, 2012, and he was also active in the Village

bbm.

Seems there's a serial killer targeting Gay men. Thank you dotr for the articles.

Were the three men into men? Also, are they all of the same nationality? TIA

The Church-Wellesley Village is an LGBT area in Toronto. It seems as if all three men were Canadians of Middle Eastern or South Asian descent.

I wonder if there were any similar disappearances across the country or if there is any connection with the dates these men vanished and scheduled Toronto conferences?

Thanks dotr for setting up this thread! I’m surprised there has been no memorable MSM coverage into any of these cases.

Seems there's a serial killer targeting Gay men. Thank you dotr for the articles.

That's what it seems like to me. Targeting gay men of Middle Eastern/South Asian descent in particular.

ETA: That sounds like something straight off of a TV crime drama, I know. These poor guys. :(

How sad... it may be that since the men are of middle eastern decent and from countries known for homophobia that the killer thought their families might not notice or 'care' making them more vulnerable. I wonder if the killer is of middle eastern decent too because often times serial killers pick victims of their own ethnicity unless they know that a victim will be at a disadvantage due to racism and stereotypes...

Just read the Sun comments and many posters are theorizing that it might be a "Sharia Law" type thing going on...

Here is a direct link to the Toronto Police Service news release (which I found helpful for clarifying dates last seen versus date reported):

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/pdfs/26688.pdf

Here is a link to the NAMPN page for Faizi (missing man #2)
http://www.nampn.org/cases/faizi_abdulbasir.html

Details of Disappearance
On December 29, 2010, Abdulbasir Faizi left his workplace, Schiffenhauss Canada Inc, located on Kitimat Road in Mississauga.
Mr. Faizi contacted his wife at approximately 7:30 pm stating he was going out with a coworker and would be back later. He
failed to return home and to attend work since December 29, 2010. His vehicle was found on January 4, 2011 by Toronto Police.
The vehicle was abandoned on Moore Avenue, in the City of Toronto. The vehicle yielded no clues to his whereabouts. His
disappearance is completely out of character. Last seen at Steamworks, Steamworks is a men's bathhouse.

fyi...Steamworks is at 540 Church, near Wellesley. (By online accounts it sounds like a fairly large well-known place.)

Moore St is a straight 4km drive up Mount Pleasant. Easy spot to ditch the car other than the parking. I presume the car got tagged for illegal street parking and that is how they found it.

Faizi is described as 5'8" 175 lb., shaved head, Middle Eastern.

ETA: according to a Brampton Guardian article from Jan 10/11, Faizi lived with this wife and children in Brampton. ;( This must be difficult for them.

Were all 3 of these men of the same religion?

Maybe they went to the same masjid/mosque? I am wondering if maybe someone who knew them from outside of the gay community caught on that they were frequenting gay bars & didn't like it (maybe someone who is a closeted homosexualy himself...and yeah, until we see any info that points in a different direction, I'm going with the perp is a man).

Maybe they went to the same masjid/mosque? I am wondering if maybe someone who knew them from outside of the gay community caught on that they were frequenting gay bars & didn't like it (maybe someone who is a closeted homosexualy himself...and yeah, until we see any info that points in a different direction, I'm going with the perp is a man).

Good question!

They all disappeared during holidays:

Skandaraj “Skanda” Navaratnam, 40 — September 6, 2010 (Monday) Labour Day

Abdulbasir “Basir” Faizi, 44 — December 29, 2010 (Wednesday) Christmas/New Year’s week

Majeed “Hamid” Kayhan, 58 — October 14, 2012 (Sunday) Canadian Thanksgiving

They all disappeared during holidays:

Skandaraj “Skanda” Navaratnam, 40 — September 6, 2010 (Monday) Labour Day

Abdulbasir “Basir” Faizi, 44 — December 29, 2010 (Wednesday) Christmas/New Year’s week

Majeed “Hamid” Kayhan, 58 — October 14, 2012 (Sunday) Canadian Thanksgiving

Great point! Maybe those are days when perp/s get time off or families are not around?

Wondering also if they were spotted at a food store or restaurant geared to the middle eastern community?

I must say that some of the information out there in MSM is conflicting. For example, the first missing man, Skandaraj “Skanda” Navaratnam, is reported last seen on September 6th and also on the 16th of 2010. It’s been written that he left Zipperz with another man, but an article from September 23, 2010 says he left alone. (Maybe LE subsequently discovered someone with Skanda on surveillance cameras?)

"After being mugged in Riverdale Park while walking home two years ago, Navaratnam had been taking cabs home, so Cloutier (best friend) can only assume that's what he did Sept.6."

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/09/23/15452641.html

Not all 3 are from the same religion. Skanda is not a Muslim name, this gentleman I believe is Sri Lankan and could be any religion. The other 2 gentleman are Muslim most likely as both of their names are Muslim in origin . Sometimes though people may have Muslim names yet be Christian as their family may have converted generations ago. The 2 who are most likely Muslim (Faizi & Kayhan) are do not resemble Middle Eastern Men to me. They look South Asian most likely from Pakistan/Afghanistan. Faizi particularly is wearing a Pakistani hat and vest in his photo. Faizi and Kayhan would not be celebrating Thanksgiving or Christmas most likely as most Muslims don't do much on those days (some will but the majority won't). So it would not be odd for them to be away from home doing something else at that time. At this point I don't feel it was a crime committed from "within" their religious group as Skanda is not a Muslim. I did go on Craigslist in the men seeking men section and found a number of ads from a person seeking "South Asian Men", and in some ads "south asian men who were cab drivers." Skanda was seen leaving a bar with another male so perhaps there is a male who is targeting a particular ethnicity. I wonder what race the male was who Skanda left with?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back