WI WI - Cathy Nameth, 43, Loon Lake, 12 Oct 2002

giagreen

Reaction score
I really hope I am posting this in the right place and that this is not posted all ready and I have missed it.

This case sticks out to me. Gave me the chills because it's like from a movie or something. Just wondering what others think about this.

Cathy Nameth, 43, was at her parents cabin on Loon Lake. When she had reached out for help on her fire department radio saying "there's a man with a raincoat and he's scruffy looking and.." then the radio cut out.
From what I have read she was then chased around the property and put up a fight. She died of multiple stab wounds.
She was found alive by her husband and son, her husband had asked her who attacked her and he reportedly said she didn't know.

One idea is that she may have been murdered because she was due to give details in an embezzlement case.

I really hope I am posting this in the right place and that this is not posted all ready and I have missed it.

This case sticks out to me. Gave me the chills because it's like from a movie or something. Just wondering what others think about this.

Cathy Nameth, 43, was at her parents cabin on Loon Lake. When she had reached out for help on her fire department radio saying "there's a man with a raincoat and he's scruffy looking and.." then the radio cut out.
From what I have read she was then chased around the property and put up a fight. She died of multiple stab wounds.
She was found alive by her husband and son, her husband had asked her who attacked her and he reportedly said she didn't know.

One idea is that she may have been murdered because she was due to give details in an embezzlement case.

I can see why you're intrigued, gia. Creepy, but so sad, too, for her husband and son. Do you have MSM links?

Btw, you did pick the correct forum. ;)

From a news article :
PUBLISHED: March 3, 2008 at 9:04 a.m. | UPDATED: November 13, 2015 at 5:05 a.m.
Sheriff: DNA tests of 24 people produces no clues in 2002 murder
ANTIGO, Wis.—The DNA testing of 24 people in the 2002 slaying of a rural fire chief’s wife produced no new clues, and a man who claimed to have some information about the killing died before he could be interviewed, according to the sheriff and court records.

A year ago, Langlade County Sheriff Bill Greening announced that investigators would start collecting DNR samples from potential suspects to compare with a DNA profile developed in the death of Catherine Nameth, the 43-year-old wife of the Town of Elcho fire chief.

Nameth was found dead outside her parents’ cabin on Loon Lake in rural Elcho on the rainy evening of Oct. 12, 2002. Officials said at the time that nothing was stolen and it did not appear to be a random attack.

Greening said the people who have been subjected to DNA testing include people of interest and emergency workers who were at the murder scene. Other DNA samples await analysis but investigators have no suspects, he said.

“There are people we are comfortable with that have information and haven’t come forward or are not willing to,” he said, declining to elaborate.
A computer and other equipment was seized from the home of a Pittsville man Feb. 21, a day after he died, according to court records. The 42-year-old man died of natural causes but had scheduled a meeting Feb. 22 with a Wood County sheriff’s detective about the Nameth killing, a search warrant said.
The cabin where Nameth died was unoccupied because her parents had left earlier that day for their winter home in Florida. Nameth had stopped there to get food from the freezer.

Nameth, the wife of former Fire Chief David Nameth, was an emergency medical technician with the Elcho ambulance squad and called on her radio for help, reporting she saw a “man with a raincoat and he’s scruffy looking” before the radio went dead.

David Nameth tried to contact his wife by radio without success and then went to the cabin and found her at 7:44 p.m., 32 minutes after her last broadcast.

The slaying happened days after Nameth, her husband and three others were removed from the Elcho Fire Department Board amid an embezzlement investigation that was later resolved. A one-time treasurer for the department admitted taking at least $3,500 and was fired.

Town officials had discounted any connection between the death and the probe.

And then another article….

Milwaukee man's perjury linked to unsolved 2002 murder up north​

Sept. 29, 2010

As part of an ongoing effort to solve Langlade County's only open homicide case, authorities convened a John Doe investigation.

Catherine Namath's 2002 stabbing death -- moments after she had used her fire department radio to call in a scruffy man in a raincoat -- remains unsolved, but detectives hope a recent conviction might lead to a break in the case.

Last week, 45-year-old Donald R. Kustelski of Milwaukee pleaded guilty to false swearing during the John Doe, the Antigo Daily Journal reports.

A condition of his two-year stayed prison term is to cooperate in the investigation of the Namath homicide. “The Kustelski matter is an integral part of our investigation and we are confident that he and other people may have information in regards to her murder,” Langlade County Sheriff Bill Greening told the Journal.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back