NY - Man Holds Vandal Kids in Closet, Now Faces Jail

Blondie in Spokane

Reaction score
Son who locked boys who were vandalizing father-in-law's home in a closet faces JAIL

"A man who says he caught four boys vandalizing his father-in-law's home has been charged with child endangerment after corralling them in a closet until police arrived."

"Jesse Daniels was arraigned on four counts of endangering the welfare of a child after authorities say he interrupted the vandalism at the empty home in the Wayne County village of Clyde, midway between Rochester and Syracuse.
Daniels, 53, told WHAM-TV in Rochester that he heard pounding coming from the home next door the night of June 8. The house is empty while Daniels renovates it for his father-in-law."

"Daniels said he went to investigate while his wife called 911. He said he found four boys, ages 8 and 10, inside with hammers. He took a hammer from one, then stuck the boys in a closet until officers arrived, he said."

'I was fortunate that they were in that room that had a closet, so I put them in the closet,' he said. 'I said, "Listen, you guys are staying here until the police come, period."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ys-closet-vandalizing-home.html#ixzz2WR4RnhgY

That's crazy... Unless he called like a day later

One of the parents weighs in:

"Their parents said Daniels handled the boys roughly and threatened them with the hammer."

"The damage to the home included holes in the walls, broken windows and graffiti derogatory to women spray-painted on walls. Daniels estimated that the damage to his father-in-law's property exceeds $40,000."

'I understand they were in the wrong, but there are other ways to handle it,' he said. 'He (Daniels) knew who the kids were. It's not like they were strangers. And send the kids home and call the cops then. You don't sit there and torment them and tell them you're going to bash their skulls in with a hammer.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ys-closet-vandalizing-home.html#ixzz2WR62aOJl

I'm still trying to get past ages 8 & 10! And one of the parents is complaining because they were traumatized? $40,000 damage?

What time of night were these little darlings out causing all this damage?

Hope the judge drops charges on the man who found them doing all the vandalism. Those kids need some "attention."

Shaking my head.

Well, if he were in TX, I am pretty sure he could actually smack them with that hammer and get away with it.
Trying to put him in jail over putting them in a closet is a complete nonsense, IMO.

Those children are lucky to be alive. Another homeowner may have shot first and then asked questions. And the parents should be ashamed of themselves. A little rough? Maybe if they had been a little rougher with their kids they wouldn't be doing $40,000.00 of damage to someone's house. And by rough I don't mean physically, I mean maybe having rules and discipline instead of making excuses and blaming someone else because they can't control their kids.

One of the parents weighs in:

"Their parents said Daniels handled the boys roughly and threatened them with the hammer."

"The damage to the home included holes in the walls, broken windows and graffiti derogatory to women spray-painted on walls. Daniels estimated that the damage to his father-in-law's property exceeds $40,000."

'I understand they were in the wrong, but there are other ways to handle it,' he said. 'He (Daniels) knew who the kids were. It's not like they were strangers. And send the kids home and call the cops then. You don't sit there and torment them and tell them you're going to bash their skulls in with a hammer.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ys-closet-vandalizing-home.html#ixzz2WR62aOJl
oh puhleeze! If he had taken those kids home and then called police the kids and the parents would have lied through their teeth and denied all involvement. JMO

The parents may not be whining about their little angels as much if the homeowner is able to sue them and the 10 years olds go to juvie. Not that I necessarily agree with suing parents, but kids that young should be supervised or not able to sneak out, however it happened.

I wonder if they can sue the parents' home owners policy (or maybe their insurance company will do so) to recoup their losses.

I really get a twitch when I see articles like this. If my son did something like this, a red mark on his neck from the neighbor guy would be the least of his worries.

Really? Just send them on home, maybe give them a lollipop to go?
I know I sound just like my mom, but back in my day
that neighbor man would've swatted my hind-end, marched me back to
my parents where I would've gotten another swat on the hind-end, and
then been grounded! (and no, I was not abused). But I usually learned a good lesson and knew not to re-offend!

JMO

I think that kids who are 8 & 10 and capable of doing the amount of damage shown in the pictures of the article are also capable of lying about how Mr. Daniels handled the situation (Maybe he did threaten them or maybe the kids made it up).

I hope the charges against Mr. Daniels get dropped; putting them in the closet probably wasn't the best idea, but I don't think it "traumatized" the kids. if it really did scare them, that might be a good thing--maybe they won't end up in a jail cell (which like the closet, has 3 walls and 1 door).

Whether or not Mr. Daniels is able to sue the parents/their homeowner's insurance, I think the kids should be a part of the clean-up...learning how to scrub spray paint off of various surfaces and patch up holes in the wall would be a fitting punishment.

4 kids? perfect - each of the parents ponies up $10,000 to pay off the damage

maybe it'll teach the 'parents' to keep a better eye on their little hooligans

and drop the charges against Mr. Daniels!

Wow - there's a lot of damage there!
If I ever need my house demolished I'll see if the parent will hire these kids out.
:bricks:

On a serious note - it will be interesting to hear how the courts handle this and what happens.

4 kids? perfect - each of the parents ponies up $10,000 to pay off the damage

maybe it'll teach the 'parents' to keep a better eye on their little hooligans

and drop the charges against Mr. Daniels!

When my son was 7, on a Sunday afternoon, he asked to play at his friend's house. Friend's mom assured me that it would be fine. An hour later DH and I took the dog for a walk and could hear kids shouting and laughing. Turns out my DS, his friend and two other boys (brothers) had discovered cans of paint and were happily flinging it all over a neighbours half built barn. @&^$%$#! We marched our paint splattered kid to the neighbour so he could explain and apologize. We paid for new paint and covered 1/4 of the damages. The other parents refused to contribute. My DS did chores all summer to work off his debt.

If the neighbour had dragged my DS home by the back of his neck or called the sheriff, I would have applauded. Actions have consequences.

This poor man!

He traumatized them..... did he shoot them? No. Did he shoot at them? No. Did he beat them with the hammer or with his fists? No. So these must be really "sensitive" boys.

They were unable to handle being told to stay off someone else's property. They were "traumatized" by facing an angry man when they were caught trespassing and vandalizing that property.

Well I think that such "sensitive" delinquents... uhhh I mean "children" should be carefully protected an nurtured somewhere that can handle them.

Like a juvenile detention center.

They weren't "traumatized" by the angry man IMO, they were scared because they knew they were doing wrong and they were scared because they got caught. And the best way to get out of trouble, is to blame someone else for wrongdoing. (just ask any convicted felon.)

Instead of being concerned about the guy traumatizing the boys, they should be worried about the next time the boys get caught. The next homeowner may not be so nice to them!

When my son was 7, on a Sunday afternoon, he asked to play at his friend's house. Friend's mom assured me that it would be fine. An hour later DH and I took the dog for a walk and could hear kids shouting and laughing. Turns out my DS, his friend and two other boys (brothers) had discovered cans of paint and were happily flinging it all over a neighbours half built barn. @&^$%$#! We marched our paint splattered kid to the neighbour so he could explain and apologize. We paid for new paint and covered 1/4 of the damages. The other parents refused to contribute. My DS did chores all summer to work off his debt.

If the neighbour had dragged my DS home by the back of his neck or called the sheriff, I would have applauded. Actions have consequences.

This poor man!

You're an excellent parent! Pat yourself on the back as my arm won't reach ya! :)

I truly hope the parents of those kids are made to foot the $40,000 in damages. I really do.

As the parent of a somewhat challenging child (when she was that age, she's pretty awesome these days) I do realise that it's not always about how a child is raised - kids do make stupid mistakes independently of parental influence and don't always think of consequences before they act. I also think that you can't keep pre-teen children cooped up and under supervision ALL the time and expect them to be socially okay later in life...

But gawrsh, if she'd done that? She'd be paying it off with her allowance and chores until she's old enough to get a job and pay the rest herself. I certainly would not be pressing charges on the victim of my child's bad behaviour!

You're an excellent parent! Pat yourself on the back as my arm won't reach ya! :)

Thank you kindly! :) Was talking to DS just the other day about 'painting the barn'. He is grown now with 2 kids of his own. He confessed that he was very unhappy with us all that summer. He thought he was hard done by cause the other 3 didn't have to work at chores and didn't have to pay for damages.

But, by the time he hit his early teens, he had figured out that we were trying to teach him a lesson and finally understood.

He also admitted that he'd do the same thing if one of his kids did such a thing today. :floorlaugh: Sometimes it's a hoot being a parent of grown kids who have kids. Oh the conversations!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back