Pet food recall: Sweeping recall affects food for cats, dogs, and ferrets

Thanks for this...I don't feed Natura, but I will make sure all my friends who may feed it know about this.

More and more I'm beginning to think I should be making my own food straight down the line...

Best-
Herding Cats

ETA: I should've read more thoroughly...I do feed one of the recalled brands. I will contact my store and see what they want to do.

Thanks, DK!

'The recall includes all Innova, California Natural, EVO, Healthwise, Mother Nature, and Karma branded dry pet food and biscuit treats with expiration dates prior to June 10, 2014. The expiration date appears in different places on the various products. To find out where to look for your pet food's expiration date, see the illustrated guide on the Natura website."

"If you own any of the recalled pet food, dispose of it immediately, but not before you clip key information off the bag. To get a full refund, you need to fill out this form and mail it to Natura with the UPC label, expiration date, and product code cut from the pet food bag."

In general, pet food is not as tightly regulated as human food so outbreaks of salmonella and E.coli are more common.

Make sure you always wash your hands after filling your pet bowls, just to be safe!

I hope they moved quickly so the least amount of animals got sick.

ETA: I should've read more thoroughly...I do feed one of the recalled brands. I will contact my store and see what they want to do.

I wouldn't worry about it Herding Cats, if everyone seems fine it didn't cause any harm. The recall is for Salmonella not for something deadly (like the tainted protein from China that caused deadly kidney failure in likely thousands of animals and 60 or so brands of food recalled, that was really serious and very very scary!).

Dogs and cats are resistant to salmonella poisoning, people are too to a large extent. Those recalls are often because they worry about a child or elderly person with a suppressed immune system getting seriously ill from handling the food. Lots of folks feed raw chicken to their dogs daily and the dogs thrive even though some of that chicken surely carries salmonella.

Every pet food brand has had recalls at one time or another, if your brand rarely has recalls you can be sure they will seriously step up their cleanliness and probably be one of the safest brands out there. Now if they have recalls every year (like Diamond Pet foods which also turns out many many other brands in their factories) that is another matter entirely as they are running a shoddy operation.

Not too worried, Sonya, but I appreciate the info. The recall is, it appears, more of a safety thing rather than like when the China or Diamond thing happened...so I'm not worried.

Still, with losing Eeyore just a bit ago, I am just being a tad paranoid right now. Even though it was not my fault with Eeyore, still I'm being super careful.

Turns out it's only the DRY food that is being recalled, and since the wet food is what I feed, I'm even less concerned. The dry food my critters get is a different kind, so I'm not too terribly worried.

And TBH, I appreciate the recalls...makes me more confident in the makers that they're on top of things.

Best-
Herding Cats

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member