GUILTY CA - Terry Smith, 11, autistic, Menifee, 6 July 2013

nikb

Reaction score
Couple of links:

http://www.pe.com/local-news/rivers...0130707-menifee-autistic-boy-goes-missing.ece

http://www.menifee247.com/2013/07/missing-child-last-seen-in-his-home-in.html

An 11-year-old autistic boy has gone missing, and a search around his Menifee home on Sunday, July 7, has not been successful.

Terry Dewayne Smith is 4-foot-8 and 76 pounds, with blond hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing blue basketball shorts, the Riverside County Sheriff's Department said in a news release.

Menifee police were called about 10:30 a.m. Sunday to a home in the 33000 block of Helen Lane, a more rural area off Scott Road about two miles west of Interstate 215. His family said Terry had gone missing sometime after 7:30 p.m. Saturday.

Police and sheriff's officials used a helicopter, a bloodhound and volunteers to search the area, but were not able to find the boy.

Anyone who may have information about Terry's whereabouts may call Menifee police at 951-210-1000 during regular business hours, or Riverside County sheriff's dispatch at 951-776-1099.

S_MISSING_0708.jpg

I wonder what he was doing just before he disappeared. Is there water near his home, like a lake or pond. Did he have a bicycle? If so, was it missing too? We need more details.

Agreed Jan, we definitely need more details! I happened to get this on my Facebook feed and didn't see a thread for him yet so I posted it, but I know almost nothing beyond the news links I posted. I'm looking for more, too.

Here's the very little bit I've found, just a quick summary from the above news links:

- 7:30 or so Sat night he went to bed
- Last seen wearing blue basketball shorts and no shirt
- 9:30 or so Sunday morning parents realized he wasn't there
- 10:30 LE was called
- LE, helicopter, bloodhounds, and volunteers searching

Couple of quick personal comments. That seems kind of early to go to bed IMO for a boy his age, and also seems like a long time to sleep (7:30-9:30?). Maybe he needs lots of sleep? I'm wondering if he was made to go to bed early for some reason and got mad. AFAIK there's no indication he's a potential runaway, the time is just the only thing that jumped out at me so far.

There's definitely water around. From the Menifee City FB page:
r0230132013

You might have to scroll around some but here's a Yahoo map too:
http://y.ahoo.it/pI2SszHk

Thanks jwp. This is worrisome. Another missing autistic child.

From the above article:

"He was last seen wearing only blue basketball shorts and no shirt, in his bedroom in his family's home at the 33000 block of Helen Lane in Menifee near Scott Road and Murrieta Road."

Here's a basic map of the location last seen:

http://goo.gl/maps/5op9P

Hopefully the nearby water areas have been checked if there are any.
<Lake Elsinore is 10 miles, Holiday Bay 7 miles...>

Thanks jwp / nikb. This is worrisome. Another missing autistic child.

From the above article:

"He was last seen wearing only blue basketball shorts and no shirt, in his bedroom in his family's home at the 33000 block of Helen Lane in Menifee near Scott Road and Murrieta Road."

Here's a basic map of the location last seen:

http://goo.gl/maps/5op9P

Hopefully the nearby water areas have been checked if there are any.
<Lake Elsinore is 10 miles, Holiday Bay/Canyon Lake is 7.6 miles...>

Hi nikb!

No worries. It is perfectly fine to have two threads if one is in the Information and Support forum, and the other in the Discussion forum!

Regards,
~Summer_Breeze

https://local.nixle.com/alert/5029352/

Sunday July 7th, 2013 :: 04:14 p.m. PDT

Advisory
At-risk missing autistic child, Terry Smith age 11, 4’8” 76 lbs, blonde hair and blue eyes. Helen Lane, Menifee.

On July 7, 2013, at approximately 10:33 am, officers from the Menifee Police Department responded to the 33000 block of Helen Lane, Menifee reference an at-risk missing autistic child, 11-year-old Terry Smith. Terry was discovered missing from his residence sometime between July 6, 2013, at 7:30 pm and July 7, 2013, at 10:30 am. Officers from Menifee Police Department along with Riverside Sheriff's helicopter, a bloodhound, and volunteers searched the area but were unable to locate Terry.

Terry Dewayne Smith age 11, 4'8" - 76 lbs, blonde hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing blue basketball shorts.
The investigation is continuing and there is no additional information available for release at this time. Anyone who may have information regarding the whereabouts of Terry Smith is encouraged to call the Menifee Investigations Unit at 951-210-1000 or Riverside Sheriff's dispatch at 951-776-1099.

Address/Location
Riverside County Sheriff's Department - Headquarters
4095 Lemon St
Riverside, CA 92501

Contact
Emergency: 9-1-1
Non-emergencies: 951-955-2400

http://www.riversidesheriff.org/press/per13-0707.asp

Press Release: At-Risk Missing Child
Agency: Menifee Police
Station Area: Perris
Written Date: July 7, 2013 Time: 2:30 P.M.
Incident Date: July 7, 2013 Time: 10:33 A.M.
Incident Location: 33000 block of Helen Lane, Menifee
Reporting Officer: Sergeant Lisa McConnell / Public Information Officer
File Number(s): ME131880029

Terry Smith
Details:

On July 7, 2013, at approximately 10:33 am, officers from the Menifee Police Department responded to the 33000 block of Helen Lane, Menifee reference an at-risk missing autistic child, 11-year-old Terry Smith. Terry was discovered missing from his residence sometime between July 6, 2013, at 7:30 pm and July 7, 2013, at 10:30 am. Officers from Menifee Police Department along with Riverside Sheriff's helicopter, a bloodhound, and volunteers searched the area but were unable to locate Terry.

Terry Dewayne Smith 03/21/02, 4'8" - 76 lbs, blonde hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing blue basketball shorts.

The investigation is continuing and there is no additional information available for release at this time. Anyone who may have information regarding the whereabouts of Terry Smith is encouraged to call the Menifee Investigations Unit at 951-210-1000 or Riverside Sheriff's dispatch at 951-776-1099.

OH NO !
I don't know if 7:30 is so early to go to bed these days. When mine ' go to bed' they mean they'll be laying in their bed watching movies and on twitter and playing games from now until daylight, not necessarily going to ' sleep'. This is so scary because it's already been so long. In the first few hours, there is a great chance they just wandered off . Come on kiddo , come home safe :)

So my question is at 7:30pm, were the boys playing video games and the mother got home a lot later than that and "thought" she saw them sleeping in bed?

Or did she go out earlier to play pool and get home at 7:30pm, where they appeared to be sleeping.

The wording in the interview with mom and mom's friend make it sound like, to me, that they were playing video games when she left at 7:30pm and only thought she saw him sleeping when she cam home later.

I don't know many people who go out to play pool on a Saturday and are home by 7:30pm. That is usually the time that they are leaving, if not later.

She also seemed to indicate that she didn't actually definitely lay eyes on him sleeping, but may have just thought it looked like it.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...issing-Autistic-Boy-in-Menifee-214564711.html

'' left Terry with his older stepbrother. The pair was playing video games.''

Here's what I wonder ! Does this older step brother stay often or does he live elsewhere and is town because of a summer visit? There are a variety of behaviors with autism so I wonder if Terry had any that might make it hard for the older boy to keep tabs on him. KWIM? If this older boy lives with them, then I would assume he is well versed at Terry's special needs IF ANY. For example if Terry says " im going outside by myself "" is that normal , ok, routine and he's responsible enough to do so? Or would the older boy know not to let him or think it's ok . Sorry if that's a lot of rambling, confusing thoughts.

This is in my area, just up the road from my city. My in-laws live in Menifee, also.

About going to bed so early (from the other thread) - my friend has an autistic 19-year-old and his bedtime is around 8:30, so I see nothing unusual about the time he went to bed. My friend's son gets up so early that he needs to go to bed that early.

There is a big man-made lake in Menifee, with houses built right up to the water, but if they live off Scott Road that would be quite a hike for him to make. Doable, but not real close.

This is in my area, just up the road from my city. My in-laws live in Menifee, also.

About going to bed so early (from the other thread) - my friend has an autistic 19-year-old and his bedtime is around 8:30, so I see nothing unusual about the time he went to bed. My friend's son gets up so early that he needs to go to bed that early.

There is a big man-made lake in Menifee, with houses built right up to the water, but if they live off Scott Road that would be quite a hike for him to make. Doable, but not real close.

I agree on the bedtime Meri. My autistic son is 18 and goes to bed at 8pm. Going outside of his routine ruins his day and he monitors it himself. He's never been upset by the early bedtime, always seemed to appreciate there is something he can control.

I hope this sweet kiddo stays away from the water.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back