LA LA - Taranika Nichelle Raymond, 13, New Orleans, 13 Nov 1995

Fuuro

spicy user
Reaction score
Taranika's Charley Project Profile, which can be viewed at http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/raymond_taranika.html:

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: November 13, 1995 from New Orleans, Louisiana
Classification: Endangered Runaway
Date of Birth: July 6, 1982
Height and Weight: 5'3, 165 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Taranika's hair was long at the time of her disappearance. Her ears are pierced and she has a dimple on the left side of her face.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: Gold apple earrings with "Tara" written on them, a gold apple ring with "Tara" written on it and a gold medallion ring with "Tara" and "Betty" written on it.

Details of Disappearance

Taranika was last seen at 10:00 p.m. on November 13, 1995 at her home in on north Derbigny Street in New Orleans, Louisiana. When her mother checked on her two hours later, she had disappeared. Authorities believe Taranika left of her own accord. She may still be in the New Orleans area. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
New Orleans Police Department
504-826-1265

Source Information
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
The Times-Picayune
NamUs

Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004.

Last updated November 5, 2010; clothing/jewelry description added, distinguishing characteristics updated.

This is another case that seems strange to me. The circumstances of her disappearance look like a typical abduction: parents leave home and leave their children alone, parents come home and find that their child is not home. But Taranika is listed as a runaway, and there's just so much about this case that we don't know about. I'm guessing they didn't find evidence of forced entry, since LE believes Taranika apparently left of her own accord. Taranika had a brother, who was seven at the time, and he became a victim of a homicide 10 years after her disappearance, but I doubt the two cases are connected. Her brother had been charged with homicide and Taranika was listed as surviving him. I can't find any reason as to why Taranika would run away, since she was apparently a straight-A student who was well behaved (I found that out in a CNN article), and she didn't come from a troubled home, according to family friends and family members who commented on Meaghan's blog. Her family does not suspect foul play took part in her disappearance; they think she is alive and they wish to locate her. I really hope she is alive too. She's been missing for almost 2 decades now.

Charley Project clickable link:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/raymond_taranika.html

raymond_taranika.jpg

Taranika went missing and then her little brother died a decade later. How sad. :(
I hope her family can locate her. It is strange that she was written off so quickly as a runaway at 13. Even if she did runaway...a 13 year old cannot make it out there alone and someone is bound to take advantage of them so there should have been a big search for her....

It's been so long. Her family has been through a lot and I hope they will find Taranika one day.

Meagan from Charley Project always says that runaways usually contact their families again after a while, even after several years. It's been almost 2 decades now in this case and Taranika would most likely have her own family by now and reached out to her loved ones in New Orleans.

I hope she's alive somewhere out there.

Why does law enforcement think that Tara ran away anyway? A young girl, who is an honor student, I might add disappeared from a likely not-so-safe area(doesn't New Orleans have a really high crime rate?) at night when her parents weren't home doesn't exactly scream "runaway" to me.

Why does law enforcement think that Tara ran away anyway? A young girl, who is an honor student, I might add disappeared from a likely not-so-safe area(doesn't New Orleans have a really high crime rate?) at night when her parents weren't home doesn't exactly scream "runaway" to me.

I don't get how law enforcement had and still is classifying Taranika as a runaway either. Not sure if New Orleans was that dangerous of a city in 1995 as it was for a while after Hurricane Katrina struck. New Orleans has started appearing less and less on top dangerous city lists now that they have been getting back on their feet after they were struck by Katrina. Not to mention a lot of people from New Orleans relocated to Houston, Texas after Hurricane Katrina moving Houston up to the fourth most populated city in the US.

Does anyone know the circumstances of Taranika's brother's murder? Just wondering if it could be related somehow...

Does anyone know the circumstances of Taranika's brother's murder? Just wondering if it could be related somehow...

The brother was shot in 2005 at 16. I think he was murdered by rival gang members (he was involved in crime and was rumored to have shot another person to death)

Google Maps

The street she lived at is long with many numbers, Don't know where exactly she lived but seems to be a poor neighboourhood.

I don't think she run away, more like an abduction. I wonder if her abduction could be related to anyone from her family espeically since she dissapeared from her house. Whoever abducted her must've known her anf that she was home alone. Possibly she even opened the door for that personan volunterly left with him without suspecting anything. I feel like there too little info her though.

Taranika Nichelle Raymond – The Charley Project
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Taranika Nichelle Raymond
  • taranika_nichelle_raymond_1.jpg
  • taranika_nichelle_raymond_2.jpg
Taranika, circa 1995; Age-progression to age 31 (circa 2013)

• Missing Since11/13/1995
  • Missing FromNew Orleans, Louisiana
  • ClassificationEndangered Runaway
  • Date of Birth07/06/1982 (37)
  • Age13 years old
  • Height and Weight5'3, 165 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionGold apple earrings with "Tara" written on them, a gold apple ring with "Tara" written on it and a gold medallion ring with "Tara" and "Betty" written on it.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Taranika's hair was long at the time of her disappearance. Her ears are pierced and she has a dimple on the left side of her face.
Details of Disappearance
Taranika was last seen at 10:00 p.m. on November 13, 1995 at her home in on north Derbigny Street in New Orleans, Louisiana. When her mother checked on her two hours later, she had disappeared.

Authorities believe Taranika left of her own accord. She may still be in the New Orleans area. Her mother described her as a normal teenager who got good grades in school. Her hobbies included singing, skating, bingo and playing sports. Her case remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • New Orleans Police Department 504-826-1265
Source Information

Was she ever excluded as August 1996 Baltimore Jane Doe who died after being hit by a train? She looks just like her in my opinion

Attachments

• 8D50D438-C819-487B-9EF1-AFDB3B197987.jpeg
    8D50D438-C819-487B-9EF1-AFDB3B197987.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1
  • E2851286-B8E3-481C-8D7D-1246220722C1.jpeg
    E2851286-B8E3-481C-8D7D-1246220722C1.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1
11 Unidentified Person Exclusions

1688954362250.jpeg

1688954395239.jpeg

June 17, 2023

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Taranika Raymond was last seen November 13, 1995 at her North Derbigny Street home in New Orleans. According to police, the girl's mother saw her at 22.00, but was unable to find her two hours later.

Although there were no signs of foul play, the possibility has not been ruled out. She may still be in the local area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back