TN - Wife shoots husband dead 11 minutes after his domestic violence jail release

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Wife killed husband in self-defense. (wbir.com)
---
The McMinn County Sheriff said shortly before 8 am Saturday, Athens Police Officers received a report that Robert Vann Marshall, 34, was irate, suicidal, armed and threatening to kill his wife and children.

Officers stopped Robert Marshall shortly afterward at the Athens Super 8 Motel.
---
Authorities found there to be an active order of protection against him and arrested him for firearms and narcotics charges and took him to the McMinn County Justice Center.
---
He was ordered to not contact his wife, or go to their residence, or else he would be charged.

Authorities said Robert Marshall made bond and was eventually released at approximately 1:27 p.m.

Then at approximately 1:38 p.m., 911 received a call from the Marshall residence where Melissa Marshall, stated that her husband, Robert Marshall was at the residence attending to get inside.

While authorities made their way to the residence, Ms. Marshall indicated that her husband forced his way inside and then she told dispatchers that she had shot him.
---
more, with a video, at link above

Think about it. He is irate, doesn't care what happens to him and threatening the wife and kids. He already has a restraining order against him.

They arrest him and let him go the same day!!!!! :banghead:

That makes me so angry. What did they think would happen? No cooling off period, possibly under the influence. And probably even angrier since he got arrested.

They "read" the order of protection to him and "ordered" him not to contact his wife and kids. Yeah, that works. Just keep reading it to him. Tell him not to make contact. They all have a way of listening don't they? Not.

And stupid media makes it sound like she was waiting outside the courthouse to shoot him. Not sitting at home in fear and with her kids!

I feel sorry for his family. And I feel sorry for his wife and kids. No matter that she felt she had to do it, likely she will suffer for it for a good while. But IMO it was a good shoot.

There has got to be a better way.

I'm not a fan of killing people, but if this isn't justifiable homicide, then what is?

Better she killed him than he came in the house and killed her, the children, and maybe himself.

Better she killed him than he came in the house and killed her, the children, and maybe himself.

Exactly. This could've been a very different headline.... "Man kills wife, children after a domestic violence related jail release". She did what she had to do to protect herself and her children. My prayers go out to her... she's got a lot of healing ahead of her. She did what she had to do, but I'm sure it wasn't easy.

The guy did manage to get inside the house, according to the link in the OP.

Definitely a clear case of self defense. It a shame that this lady had to kill him and probably will live with guilt for the rest of her life. However she can now rest, and knows he won't be coming back to hurt her children or herself. Some people just can't be helped and even jail won't stop them.

Interesting.

This Robert Marshall was killed by his wife.

A previous Robert Marshall killed his wife. (Toms River, NJ 1980's).

Just sayin'......

This is what people mean when they say a piece of paper won't protect you...
Only knowing how to protect yourself will protect you.

A restraining order isn't going to stop someone who is going to kill you and then commit suicide.
A restraining order is only likely to stop someone who isn't already determined to kill you.

Good for her, she protected her children and now they don't have to deal with him the rest of their lives. :twocents:

I wonder if the cops told her 'sorry lady, there's nothing more we can do for you, you're on your own', or something along those lines. Maybe suggested she buy a weapon and if an 'intruder' happens to bust in your home...do what you have to do, and call the police.

When I was younger and had domestic probs. w/ ex-husband #1, they always told my father there was only so much they could do.
That's when my dad got to thinking like a criminal...to protect his precious daughter.

The ex died on Feb 14, 2 yrs ago while having surgery for a bullet that was lodged near his belly somewhere. He had been shot while coming after me, by our employer...Karma is a b@tch! ( this shooting happened in 1978, 79, or 80. Can't remember!!)

Women and children (and innocent bystanders) are historically sitting ducks for a man like him. Good riddance.

They are free of him now- forever!

She knows he would have followed through with the original threat. Protecting her babies will be enough to comfort her conscience.

She did nothing wrong. I'm sorry, but this is a happy ending in my book.

Guns are terrible. She should have let police do their job and waited patiently for them to arrive and take care of the situation.

[/sarcasm]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back