Years after his death, the name of The Man With No Memory, Henry Molaison, revealed

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Meet the man with no memory: Patient who became world-famous after botched
surgery wiped his ability to remember anything is finally identified after his death
. (Daily Mail)
From the moment of his ill-fated operation in 1953 Henry Molaison became world famous, yet few people knew his name.

Until his death at the age of 82 in 2008, the Connecticut man who had lost his ability to form and store new memories was known simply as HM to the scores of scientists and researchers studying his case.

Although he had been a willing test subject for neurologists since 1957, Mr Molaison's unique condition whereby his memory is wiped after about 30 seconds, was protected by those who researched him and the nursing home staff who cared for him.
---
Mr Molaison, who had suffered from epilepsy when he was a teenager, was 27 when a famous surgeon removed part of his brain in the belief that it would ease his seizures.

From the moment William Beecher Scoville operated on Mr Molaison, he lost the ability to retain new information after about 30 seconds.
While Mr Molaison may have lost the ability to learn, his condition helped move forward knowledge of the brain.
---
'He always lived in the moment, fully accepting the events of daily life. From the time of the operation, every new person he met was forever a stranger, yet he approached each one with openness and trust. He remained as good natured and pleasant as the polite, quiet person his high-school classmates knew,' Suzanne Corkin wrote.

She added that he also liked to make jokes, telling NPR: 'He had a wonderful sense of humor, and he would come up with little quips that were appropriate to a specific moment, nothing that he had made up before, rehearsed or he knew from his preoperative life.'
---
much more, with pictures, at the link

Here's the excellent Telegraph obit that actually revealed the name, in 2009:

Henry Molaison

The Mail article above announced its "discovery" in part to publicize the new book on Mr. Molaison.

I thought I'd known his name before I read the Mail piece (printed today).

But I couldn't quite, um.....remember.

My cousin had epilepsy really bad ever since he was a kid. A few years ago they did surgery on him and removed a part of his brain. He was seizure free for years. He died of something else. But because of what they learned from Mr. Molaison he was able to live without seizures for a while, finally get a drivers license, and enjoy his life.

So for Mr. Molaison, thank you from Lenny's family.

Here's the excellent Telegraph obit that actually revealed the name, in 2009:

Henry Molaison

The Mail article above announced its "discovery" in part to publicize the new book on Mr. Molaison.

I thought I'd known his name before I read the Mail piece (printed today).

But I couldn't quite, um.....remember.

Yeah I wish they would do a little more research on finding a way to preserve memory after we...... let's just say after we graduate high school.

Yeah I wish they would do a little more research on finding a way to preserve memory after we...... let's just say after we graduate high school.
At least I still remember how to type. (Thanks, Mrs. Ireland!)

My cousin had epilepsy really bad ever since he was a kid. A few years ago they did surgery on him and removed a part of his brain. He was seizure free for years. He died of something else. But because of what they learned from Mr. Molaison he was able to live without seizures for a while, finally get a drivers license, and enjoy his life.

So for Mr. Molaison, thank you from Lenny's family.

This just brought tears to my eyes. We as society are so ready to crown the next athlete, CEO, or movie star a hero. But this guy, well, he's a true hero to many.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back