Becky Sue Turner and related

alllads

Reaction score
I think she was hiding something pretty bad, as this is A LOT of effort to disappear...

The North Hollywood Police, 402 months thing might be not for her, but someone else. Maybe her father went to prison for 402 months, or a boyfriend, or something. Maybe she committed a crime with an accomplice, who was caught and she wasn't. The accomplice went away for 402 months, and Jane Doe is scared she'll get ratted out, so she flees and creates a new identity? Just brain storming.

Then again, the 402 months doesn't seem necessarily related to the North Hollywood police thing. Maybe it's been 402 months since something important happened? 402 months is a bit over 33 years, so it's not how long she's had the false identity. If this note was written in 2010, 402 months ago was sometime in 1977. Maybe that was when she first left "home" and the people she knew before? Or maybe before she was Lori and Becky Sue, she had another identity, that she took up in 1977. Maybe not one with documents and all, but something other than her real self that she was going as.

Timeline per article

5/20/1988 JD gets bc for Becky Sue Turner (who died in a fire in 1971)
6/16/1988 JD as Becky gets Idaho DL
7/5/1988 JD as 'Becky' has name legally changed to 'Lori Erica Kennedy'
7/12/1988 LEK applies for an receives a SS# as 'LEK'
7/13/1988 LEK obtains a Texas ID card

4/18/1989 LEK obtains Texas DL.

IMHO - this is a tight timeline. It appears to be well thought out.

Timeline per article

5/20/1988 JD gets bc for Becky Sue Turner (who died in a fire in 1971)
6/16/1988 JD as Becky gets Idaho DL
7/5/1988 JD as 'Becky' has name legally changed to 'Lori Erica Kennedy'
7/12/1988 LEK applies for an receives a SS# as 'LEK'
7/13/1988 LEK obtains a Texas ID card

4/18/1989 LEK obtains Texas DL.

IMHO - this is a tight timeline. It appears to be well thought out.

THIS is EXACTLY how people changed their identities "paper chase" style before the internet was widespread. She even went a tad extra to be safer by legally changing her name to LEK. This follows the blueprint exactly- I read up on what the technique was for this case.

What a sad sad story. She seemed really protective of her baby which leads me to believe she came from a bad life.

WOW! This article has given us many times more information than everything else combined!

We have been chasing our tails on LEK, it seems to have been an invented identity not a stolen one. She legally changed her name to LEK in Idaho, if you can call it "legally" when you first start with a stolen name. The child who died in the fire was the stolen identity.

(snipped for space)

Moderators, is there any reason to use LER, LEK, and FLEK any longer, since 1) there was no LEK in the first place until a judge in Idaho said there was, and 2) LER's name has been published in a major newspaper? I feel partly responsible since I was the first one to use"FLEK", which has confused many who have come in late to the thread.

Just to set the record straight, she "legally" changed her name to Lori Erica Kennedy in Texas, not Idaho. Evidence item 6 presented in the article: http://seattletimes.com/html/localpages/2021243300_janedoeevidence.html
Item 6: The legal document filed in Dallas, Texas on July 5, 1988, notes the changing of Becky Sue Turner's name to Lori Erica Kennedy.

The timeline is tight. Let's try to get the facts straight as reported.

I have contacted a few moderators asking for clarification on what names can be printed here and so far the response has been as long as it has been published in MSM (main stream media) we can publish it here.

Just to set the record straight, she "legally" changed her name to Lori Erica Kennedy in Texas, not Idaho. Evidence item 6 presented in the article: http://seattletimes.com/html/localpages/2021243300_janedoeevidence.html

Sorry. When I try to make the scanned items large enough to read, they then become too grainy to read. I assumed Idaho because of the Idaho ID card.

This was very well planned out, the Becky Sue Turner ID was in use only long enough to get an Idaho ID and then use that in Texas to create Lori Elizabeth Kennedy from thin air.

I wonder if there is any record of who sent for the BST birth certificate? Probably not, or another false ID.

Interesting that the phone number for the photographer is also the number of a restaurant in Myrtle Beach, where I have actually eaten. I see no connection. I was sur[prized to see it pop up, I live far from there.

I have to remember all of this, in case I need it someday. My mother in law does become intolerable at times:floorlaugh:.

So...what if...

Becky Sue Turner didn't really die in a fire? What if there were no deceased children in a fire? What if...

dun dun dun

In the times article, the pictures...the nose is all the same, BUT the one picture in pink/hat, her teeth are massively different(I'm thinking she usually wore some form of fake teeth, but not in this picture, and her eyebrows stand out as being bushy.

I've been following this case here for a while now. The new article is fascinating and has given me a lot to think about. The fact her name is now out there, along with some additional photos makes it more likely someone who knew this woman prior to her legal name change may recognise her and come forward. It strikes me how different she looks in all the photos, but hopefully someone with some useful information will recognise her and shed some light on the case.

Forgive me as I'm still working through reading the latest posts, so I may be repeating what others have already said. But I was wondering if perhaps it's a possibility she suffered from a mental illness, perhaps causing paranoia etc. and if the identity stealing/name changes were due to her unstable mind and her creating situations in her mind which made her compelled to change her name and run/hide from something that was in her head. Maybe there was no bad childhood, or traumatic incident etc., maybe she was just a very unstable and unwell woman driven to do some crazy things (for no actual 'rational' reason)? In which case, sadly the leads and scribbled notes may not actually mean anything real, or anything of use. I don't know I neccessarily believe this, I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility really... I mean the initial transition to Becky Sue and then to Lori was seemingly very carefully planned and thought out, which may not be the actions of an irrational mentally ill person.

I was also considering the '402 months' scribbling. Could it perhaps signify how long ago 'something' happened. Maybe a traumatic/significant event that was the reason she changed her name in the first place- the reason behind it all. But I guess that note could have been written at any point over 20 years or more, so it doesn't neccesarily narrow the timeline down to figure out what that event might be... Which doesn't help us!

Did anyone else see the comment on the evidence in the article, where someone posted they had a family member who changed her name and disappeared from the family? They mentioned the circumstances were similar and all they knew was she had changed her name to Lori... I wonder if there's anything in it?!

I am just so intrigued by this case and hoping for a breakthrough soon!

Back in the 80's, Idaho used S.S numbers as drivers license numbers, I see on her Idaho ID card for Becky Turner there is what appears to be a S.S number as the ID number, I wonder who that number belonged to if she didn't apply for a S.S number until she lived in Texas.

The Idaho ID card might be a fake/forgery. We don't know if was actually state issued or something that somebody made up. In addition, if Idaho was using SS numbers at the time, she might have just made up a number to get the id. We know that she already had a copy of Becky Sue's birth certificate, that might have been enough to get the id made up.

In the 1980's it was pretty easy to obtain a driver's license and even easier to get a state ID card. Very little was needed to get one through legitimate means. I remember getting my first passport in the mid 1980's and all I needed to show was my birth certificate and marriage license. Both of these documents were easy to get by a quick visit to the town's clerk's office and paying a few dollars for the copy. They didn't even ask for any form of ID.

I've been following this case here for a while now. The new article is fascinating and has given me a lot to think about. The fact her name is now out there, along with some additional photos makes it more likely someone who knew this woman prior to her legal name change may recognise her and come forward. It strikes me how different she looks in all the photos, but hopefully someone with some useful information will recognise her and shed some light on the case.

Forgive me as I'm still working through reading the latest posts, so I may be repeating what others have already said. But I was wondering if perhaps it's a possibility she suffered from a mental illness, perhaps causing paranoia etc. and if the identity stealing/name changes were due to her unstable mind and her creating situations in her mind which made her compelled to change her name and run/hide from something that was in her head. Maybe there was no bad childhood, or traumatic incident etc., maybe she was just a very unstable and unwell woman driven to do some crazy things (for no actual 'rational' reason)? In which case, sadly the leads and scribbled notes may not actually mean anything real, or anything of use. I don't know I neccessarily believe this, I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility really... I mean the initial transition to Becky Sue and then to Lori was seemingly very carefully planned and thought out, which may not be the actions of an irrational mentally ill person.

I was also considering the '402 months' scribbling. Could it perhaps signify how long ago 'something' happened. Maybe a traumatic/significant event that was the reason she changed her name in the first place- the reason behind it all. But I guess that note could have been written at any point over 20 years or more, so it doesn't neccesarily narrow the timeline down to figure out what that event might be... Which doesn't help us!

Did anyone else see the comment on the evidence in the article, where someone posted they had a family member who changed her name and disappeared from the family? They mentioned the circumstances were similar and all they knew was she had changed her name to Lori... I wonder if there's anything in it?!

I am just so intrigued by this case and hoping for a breakthrough soon!

I'm really new at this, but the picture of Cynthia and the '88 driver's license photo of "Becky Sue" look a lot alike, down to the way the bangs lay on her forehead. It may be coincidence but it is worth checking out... but of course the height is really throwing me off. It's a big jump from 5'6" to 5'10" - she could have been a late bloomer, but most tall women have most of their height by 17, the age Cynthia/Lori was when she disappeared.

I'm really new at this, but the picture of Cynthia and the '88 driver's license photo of "Becky Sue" look a lot alike, down to the way the bangs lay on her forehead. It may be coincidence but it is worth checking out... but of course the height is really throwing me off. It's a big jump from 5'6" to 5'10" - she could have been a late bloomer, but most tall women have most of their height by 17, the age Cynthia/Lori was when she disappeared.

The height threw me off too, but those pictures look too much alike to not draw it to somebody's attention.

As for the height there various explanations:
-It could have just simply been recorded wrong in Cynthia's profile.
-Whoever reported it just said, oh she is average height. For a 17 year old female at that time it would have been about 5'6". (But the person who said that might have been tall, so average for that person or that family is taller than the national average.)
-She might have been 5'8" at the age of 17, and the person reported just underestimated it a bit. And since she was only 17, she could have grown another inch or two. I know that most females stop growing in height by the time they are 16 or 17 years old, but there are exceptions.

Is somebody planning to submit this potential match to the investigators?

I agree that the handwriting on These Eyes looks different than LEK's presumed writing.

I have spent a little time studying handwriting analysis for fun in the past. In my opinion the "these eyes" handwriting is a match for the signature on her Becky Sue Turner drivers license. Everything else on that sheet seems to be written by a different person or perhaps a different personality/state of mind.

As I was looking through this stuff.... I am just amazed at the lengths she went to. For protection? To start a new life? This seems like so much work just to commit suicide. All these years, planning, organizing... just to undo it all with one bullet.

Sure wish I knew what those letters to her family said.

Also, I'm wondering if she somehow knew someone in CA who knew that the grandmother of Becky Sue had lost a granddaughter in a fire? The obituary stated that the maternal grandmother still lived in CA, and that the 2 year old was born there, so the move to WA state had been fairly recent or the family spent a good deal of time near the maternal grandmother. Could Doe have been a neighbor, tenant, etc... of the grandmother?

Also, I'm wondering if she somehow knew someone in CA who knew that the grandmother of Becky Sue had lost a granddaughter in a fire? The obituary stated that the maternal grandmother still lived in CA, and that the 2 year old was born there, so the move to WA state had been fairly recent or the family spent a good deal of time near the maternal grandmother. Could Doe have been a neighbor, tenant, etc... of the grandmother?

I doubt it. The way the old Paper Chase was done was to first walk around and find a suitable person in a graveyard. After that here's what probably happened; once she had found a dead female who had not lived long enough for anyone to remember her, she found the newspaper article about the fire on microfilm in the local library. From the tombstone and article she now had a name, birthday, and place of birth. She sent for a copy of the birth certificate, used that to get an Idaho ID in the name of Becky Sue Turner, went to Texas and had her name legally changed to Lori Erica Kennedy. From there she applied for a SSN and voila, a new person was created out of thin air. It is entirely possible that she was able to get a clean birth certificate in the name of LEK using BST's birth certificate and the name change order from Texas, but I don't know about that one. There is no reason for LEK to have known anything about Becky Sue Turner, and plenty of reasons for her to choose a dead child she had no connection to. BST's parents did not recognize LEK.

Her twist on the old Paper Chase is that she used the dead child as a throwaway identity to create a clean one, a person who had no past.

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but Becky Sue Turner's grave is in Woodbine Cemetery in Puyallup, WA. More specifically, the grave is in an area of the cemetery called "Baby Land". So FLEK wouldn't even have to go through the whole cemetery, just go straight to "Baby Land" and write down the names of children that could be possible. Also, since the Turner child grave has the same year of death - 1971 - for all three children, FLEK would have assumed that they had died in some incident - which would improve the odds that she would be able to find a news article with further information.

http://files.usgwarchives.net/wa/pierce/photos/tombstones/woodbine/turner20228gph.txt

So wherever FLEK was from originally, we know that she must have been in Puyallup, Washington for at least a few days at some point probably in 1988. But what brought her to Puyallup instead of another place?

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but Becky Sue Turner's grave is in Woodbine Cemetery in Puyallup, WA. More specifically, the grave is in an area of the cemetery called "Baby Land". So FLEK wouldn't even have to go through the whole cemetery, just go straight to "Baby Land" and write down the names of children that could be possible. Also, since the Turner child grave has the same year of death - 1971 - for all three children, FLEK would have assumed that they had died in some incident - which would improve the odds that she would be able to find a news article with further information.

http://files.usgwarchives.net/wa/pierce/photos/tombstones/woodbine/turner20228gph.txt

So wherever FLEK was from originally, we know that she must have been in Puyallup, Washington for at least a few days at some point probably in 1988. But what brought her to Puyallup instead of another place?
I have seen a pic of BSTs grave. I would bet that it is a secluded place where LEK would feel comfortable browsing for a few hours with no one taking notice. Taking the GED under her
new ID, the multiple states, using BST as a cutout ID, LEK didn't miss a trick. If she had not taken her own life no one would ever have known. In a perverse sort of way I admire her for driving the government nuts.

I wonder if the Barkers had any ties to any people that we have already considered as possible matches of missing people (Christine, Wictor, etc.? ) or any other missing people/relatives- that could be her or if she just randomly picked this address?
(snipped)

Is this just a strange coincidence? I did a quick search on the Barkers that were living at that address. It looks like there was both a Glenn Sr. and a Glenn Jr. In 1959, Glenn Sr. and his wife were living in Boise, Id and Glenn Jr. and his wife were living in Coulee Dam, ID. They had a daughter, named Janice, that was born in 1954 and died in 1959. At the time of her death, they had two other daughters - Nancy and Becky. It looks like Glenn Jr. and his wife were married in 1950, so Becky would have been born sometime between 1950 and 1959. Here is the announcement for Janice's memorial service. http://str.stparchive.com/Archive/STR/STR02191959P05.php

The records department said that Glenn Jr. and his wife owned the house starting in 1969. I assume they moved from Coulee Dam to Boise at that time.

It looks like that Becky is not missing, but maybe "Lori" knew the family history and used it as part of her inspiration for creating her new life.

they had two other daughters - Nancy and Becky. It looks like Glenn Jr. and his wife were married in 1950, so Becky would have been born sometime between 1950 and 1959.

That is definitely curious....

I believe GBJr. worked at USBR (reclamation?)-- the only thing I can find on him is that he received an award as a part of the communications department for USBR at the GC Dam. Not like it matters.. Just an observation. Now I'm getting side-tracked.

I was just looking at 7101 El Caballo on Google Earth Street View. It is asingle family dwelling. Does not look like the kind of place where you could rent a room; in other words, you had to live there or have some way to pick up your mail there. The weakness of the Paper Chase was that you had to have a physical address at some point......unless she was able to have the Idaho ID card sent to her P.O. Box. They wouldn't, would they?

If the previous owners say "Oh, I remember her, she rented a room from us back in 1988 for a month - Becky Sue Turner!" then it is back to square one.

Back in the day this method was extensively used to help draftees avoid military service. There were groups of people, one religious denomination in particular, that would help people by driving them to Canada, getting documents, forwarding mail, giving them places to stay. This all existed in darkness and went away when they were not drafting any more, but info n how to do it was still around.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back