402 months, 40+, 40.2

Just sticking this here, it's from a post of mine that's now in the "Becky Sue and related" thread.

The North Hollywood Police, 402 months thing might be not for her, but someone else. Maybe her father went to prison for 402 months, or a boyfriend, or something. Maybe she committed a crime with an accomplice, who was caught and she wasn't. The accomplice went away for 402 months, and Jane Doe is scared she'll get ratted out, so she flees and creates a new identity? Just brain storming.

Then again, the 402 months doesn't seem necessarily related to the North Hollywood police thing. Maybe it's been 402 months since something important happened? 402 months is a bit over 33 years, so it's not how long she's had the false identity. If this note was written in 2010, 402 months ago was sometime in 1977. Maybe that was when she first left "home" and the people she knew before? Or maybe before she was Lori and Becky Sue, she had another identity, that she took up in 1977. Maybe not one with documents and all, but something other than her real self that she was going as.

But now after looking at it further, I think it really does look more like 40+, or 40&, or even 40 and a scribble...

The 40 is much larger than the 2 months. Could someone or something be turning 40 in 2 months?

40 is written over 3 times (look at the "4") with 3 hash marks underneath. 2 months is written over twice. "40" also appears to be slightly larger than 2 months.

Problem is that neither answer makes much sense.

There was a robbery/rape in Bethlehem, PA in 1983. The perpetrator was a 20 year old Cuban man who was sentenced to a max of 402 months. The newspaper article says he raped a 19 year old woman, but I cannot find her identity anywhere. Here is a like to the article: http://articles.mcall.com/1984-12-05/news/2441580_1_sentencing-guidelines-co-defendant-robbery
This incident took place very near the Pa. library that answers to the number in the upper rt. corner of the "notes" page. That's a pretty big coincidence, although coincidences do happen.

This appears to be the only one of two "402 months" criminal sentence that any webslueths have been able to find (sorry, I can't post the links). It is a very odd "sentence" (331/2 years), it doesn't fit any Penal Code guidelines in any state as far as I have been able to determine, and I think it therefore isn't a criminal sentence, no matter how tempting that interpretation might be. And it it very tempting, because what else could "402 months" mean? A mortgage? Maybe...maybe not.

This incident took place very near the Pa. library that answers to the number in the upper rt. corner of the "notes" page. That's a pretty big coincidence, although coincidences do happen.

This appears to be the only one of two "402 months" criminal sentence that any webslueths have been able to find (sorry, I can't post the links). It is a very odd "sentence" (331/2 years), it doesn't fit any Penal Code guidelines in any state as far as I have been able to determine, and I think it therefore isn't a criminal sentence, no matter how tempting that interpretation might be. And it it very tempting, because what else could "402 months" mean? A mortgage? Maybe...maybe not.

This also makes sense in her time zone calculations from the East Coast to the West Coast where she wrote "3 hours less". Maybe she is from PA?

My first thought when I saw how it was situated on the paper near the phone company names was 40.00 for 2 months. A cost of something. Money was probably an issue while she was planning her move to Texas.

I read that article (http://articles.mcall.com/1984-12-05/news/2441580_1_sentencing-guidelines-co-defendant-robbery) and it does provide the names of the two men (DS and EE) who lived in the apartment with the 19 year old. From another article I found in the same publication after searching EE's name, I found that EE seems to have been 19 or 20 at the time of the rape/robbery/theft. So I thought all three of the roommates may have gone to HS together. I looked for Bethlehem highschool yearbooks (but not surrounding areas) on ancestry.com but the yearbooks for Bethlehem Catholic, East Bethlehem, and Liberty are all from 1976 or earlier. It could be a way long shot, but maybe yearbooks from the late 80s are on Classmates or somewhere else would have a photo of the victim/LEK?

Hi All,

First time poster here. After reading over this board and several cases, I'll never view missing persons cases the same way again!

Quick thought that may have already been addressed. Is 402 a red herring?

In researching 402, someone has found links to a murder in California in 1984. North Hollywood, gang task force, etc. Good lead.

However, an apparent phone number on the sheet to a library in Pennsylvania has led someone to discover the rape of an unknown victim and the perpetrator receiving 402 months.

Was FLEK doing homework for a potential cover story should she need to explain her ID change? Is it possible she had no actual part in either of these? (In much the same way as she researched Scottsdale, AZ.)

It's sort of like the fact that someone found a Laura Kennedy in Scottsdale, who played basketball, and is not our person. It seems as if FLEK did her homework for her cover (or someone else did it for her). Does 402 belong in the same pile as the Scottsdale phone book pages?

I'm just curious to know if anyone else thought of this. Or if it even pans out as such.

Perhaps FLEK was the victim of the rape. Or perhaps she had been raped by this perp too? Maybe she was a witness at the trial?

She might have been threatened and was scared that the perp or his associates might come after her.

With two potential crimes associated with 402 months, both of which apparently tie to phone numbers on the note sheet, I'm simply wondering these might be two possible cover stories for her ID switch, should she need one. She could allude to being part of trial in California, or the victim of a Pennsylvania rapist. Neither one might be true. If that's the case, the note sheet could be just about useless, except to demonstrate how she put together a cover story.

FLEK strikes me as a very thorough individual. Yet, upon her suicide she did not destroy the contents of her lock box. Why? Perhaps she felt there was nothing of value in there which would speak about her former life. Perhaps she was right.

Perhaps the box contains documentation of her ID change, including the crafting of her cover stories, but nothing at all to tie her to her past. If that's true, the investigators only real hopes of identifying her would be if someone recognizes her picture.

Again, all speculation on my part. I am not a professional at this. But is it possible 402 is just another fiction to cover her true past or motives?

FLEK strikes me as a very thorough individual. Yet, upon her suicide she did not destroy the contents of her lock box. Why? Perhaps she felt there was nothing of value in there which would speak about her former life. Perhaps she was right.

Perhaps the box contains documentation of her ID change, including the crafting of her cover stories, but nothing at all to tie her to her past.

rsbm - yes! i couldn't agree more. i think there's a really good chance we are holding way more importance to those documents than she ever did. she left an eleven page suicide note and didn't mention her past identity in it anywhere. she didn't leave this box out in the open hoping someone would find it. it was tucked away and likely forgotten. it obviously wasn't some kind of shrine to her hidden past or she would have gotten rid of it. hell, for all we know maybe she did get rid of other documents that were important to her.

Nobody says "402" months.

I agree with this line of thought that the notes page could merely be a distraction, and/or LEK considered it meaningless, and/or she hoped the notes page author would ultimately recognize it/her.

For example, another 402 candidate (U.S.C. 402):

"Authority"

"The National Security Council was established by the National Security Act of 1947 (PL 235 – 61 Stat. 496; U.S.C. 402), amended by the National Security Act Amendments of 1949 (63 Stat. 579; 50 U.S.C. 401 et seq.). Later in 1949, as part of the Reorganization Plan, the Council was placed in the Executive Office of the President."

Source: Wikipedia, United States National Security Council
Source: Google web phrase search, 402 nsc nsa

Although this coincidence could be troubling or interesting depending on your perspective, it hardly makes LEK a government code breaker.

On the other hand, as LEK spent a great deal of effort concealing her true/past identities--as many have noted--perhaps she was a secret agent.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back