Library

And if you google library + 688-7092, the only library that comes up is the Tredyffrin Public Library. 582 Upper Gulph Rd, Strafford, PA

Perhaps it wasn't PA, since we don't have an area code. Assuming that she is IN California as she is writing this, only the numbers local to her would not need an area code (because this predates the 10 digit dialing). Otherwise, we should probably assume she was IN Pennsylvania while she was taking the notes, OR was so familiar with PA that she had no need to write the area code for herself. Is that as clear as mud?

So, assuming she was in CA, it may have been a library number for an area code we don't know, and may no longer be in service. Here is a link to Santa Monica libraries numbers with the 688 prefix.... Still searching for more.

http://www.sbplibrary.org/contact/

Another thought... With all of the misspellings, she may have also copied a number incorrectly or misheard, had dysgraphia, etc. here is another 688 prefix for a library for Ohio State. (Can someone else figure out how long these have been in service, or look up the Santa Monica area code with the number and see the history? I am not sure how to do that part.)

http://library.osu.edu/about/departments/integrated-library-management-systems-department/

In the hopes I am not confusing things further, here is one more... This one associated with Washington, at a medical center library.

http://medlib.overlakehospital.org/content/library/hours.htm

Again, I cannot find a number that is complete with the last 4 digits (that is currently in use by these libraries), but looking for libraries with a current 688 exchange. Hopefully this might give us some more insight if we can search the number with these area codes.

I don't know which thread I posted it in, but I posted a message about crisis cross directories. This is what used to be used to find histories of phone numbers and addresses before we had the internet. You'd have to go to a local library in that area or maybe a university library, OR, in that other thread, I posted a link to crisis cross directories that the Library of Congress has in their collection. Wish I knew which thread I posted that in. Sorry.

I don't know which thread I posted it in, but I posted a message about crisis cross directories. This is what used to be used to find histories of phone numbers and addresses before we had the internet. You'd have to go to a local library in that area or maybe a university library, OR, in that other thread, I posted a link to crisis cross directories that the Library of Congress has in their collection. Wish I knew which thread I posted that in. Sorry.

Here is a copy of your post that I found in the Notes Page thread. This transition to a split forum is confusing, but was needed. We'll get used to it eventually. For now I am just cutting and pasting relevant posts for cross-reference.

Owutatangledweb posted this in the general thread, but since it about telephone numbers, I thought I would reply to it over here

“Okay, I really don't know where to post this because I'm not sure I'm finding the new threads that are or are being set up. I was back to the phone number issue. So please move this post if there is a thread for phone number investigation. I am posting this link to telephone "exchanges" Just around the mid 80s the use of names for exchanges was being eliminated, but some areas still used them. So, if you're looking into phone numbers and scribblings on the paper, look at this too. I did see there is a "Jackson" exchange. I didn't go any further than that. I don't know how to use the chart, so it could be in Hawaii for all I know.

http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/Recommended.html”

Here is my explanation. Growing up in the 70’s my phone number was 215-672-7994. The exchange names do not refer to the area codes (I am not sure when area codes came into existence but I think the exchange names were used before they had area codes). Also when I was a kid we still used 7 digit dialing and only used the area code for long distance and of course we had to actually “dial” the phone. Anyway, if you look on the table, you see that one of the recommended exchange names for 67 was Osborne. So my phone number was OSborne 2 – 7994. I can remember the phone pad next to the phone had numbers listed as OS2-XXXX. I don't think it was even common to use them anymore in the 70's because I remember asking my mother what it meant and I never heard of anyone else using them.

Finally getting to the point, JAckson would be for a phone number *advertiser censored*-52X-*advertiser censored*. Not sure if that helps or not.

And also in case it isn’t clear the first two letters in the word are correspond to the numbers the letters are associated with on the number pad.

Just a thought:

The number next to Library could also be a library reference number for a book. I remember back when I was in Uni that if you wanted to locate a book in the library you looked up this kind of number and you could locate the book on the right shelf. This system is called Dewey Decimal Classification

I've looked up the code 688.7092 and it is under Technology/Manufacture for specific uses/Other final products & packaging/Recreational equipment/Recreational equipment makers

And. Although the Los Angeles central library now has a 228 prefix, it could have had a 688 prefix at that time. I am finding businesses in the area of the library that have the 688 prefix currently. Anyone in L.A. that can check the telephone history of the library there?

I don't know how long this has been the case, but we know she had that POBox in Boulder City NV back when NV was one area code. My mom works at the State of NV and I think every time she calls me, a different 688-???? Number comes on my caller id. It's possible that they just own that whole prefix. Maybe they've had that block of numbers for a long time?

I don't think we had 688 in Grand Prairie back then (with the 469 area code - there was only 214, 817, and later 972). I could be wrong, though. (lived in the area until 1999-ish)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back