Nobody says 'attache' around here

Holdontoyourhat

Former Member
Reaction score
The choice of words in the note, and its arrangement, is more consistent with an experienced adult who isn't from around here. "Be sure to bring an adequate size attache to the bank" is an adult expression, made by an adult that isn't from around here.

A local would not say 'attache' by itself. A local would not say 'attache case' around here either.

A local would say "briefcase."

sissi said:
We say attache' case. I have bought many over the years, often when one of the guys graduates college, I'd buy them a nice leather one , the suitcase style in leather. Wow, the prices have gone up.

sissi,

Come on girl. Get off it. I'm a Marylander too, ya know. We don't say attache. We say "Gimme a dozen of the jumbos and put em in a double brown bag. Are you sure these slept in the Chesapeake Bay last night?"

BlueCrab

This thread also reminds me of the days when George Wallace was criticizing the bureaucrats in Washington. Wallace said they all came to work carrying their attaches, but if you looked inside of those attaches you know what you'd find? Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, that's what's in them attaches.

Holdontoyourhat said:
The choice of words in the note, and its arrangement, is more consistent with an experienced adult who isn't from around here. "Be sure to bring an adequate size attache to the bank" is an adult expression, made by an adult that isn't from around here.

A local would not say 'attache' by itself. A local would not say 'attache case' around here either.

It has been used on crime shows or movies though which is where this creep got a lot of his lingo. :bang:

$100 bills x 1000 @ ~.005" ea. = 5"
$20 bills x 900 @ ~.005 ea. = 4.5"

9.5" stack of bills, or maybe a 12" stack if older bills.

Make sure you bring an adequate size attache? What for?

I believe the whole 'get money and wait hours for my call' thing was a creative fabrication to buy time.

Yep Blue Crab, it's true!
It's my signature gift.
They were a lot less expensive, before Towson turned the shopping district into a mall, at that little gift shop that sold brass ,glass and leather. It closed when the mall opened.

sissi said:
Yep Blue Crab, it's true!
It's my signature gift.
They were a lot less expensive, before Towson turned the shopping district into a mall, at that little gift shop that sold brass ,glass and leather. It closed when the mall opened.

Tuerke's?

Holdontoyourhat said:
$100 bills x 1000 @ ~.005" ea. = 5"
$20 bills x 900 @ ~.005 ea. = 4.5"

9.5" stack of bills, or maybe a 12" stack if older bills.

Make sure you bring an adequate size attache? What for?

I believe the whole 'get money and wait hours for my call' thing was a creative fabrication to buy time.

Holdontoyourhat,

Several years ago on this forum we figured out the bills asked for in the ransom note would indeed fit into the average attache case. The perp seems to have done adequate planning.

For instance, I think the perp didn't want John to draw attention to himself while obtaining the bills at the bank. An attache would appear business-like and not draw attention in a bank setting.

But then, when John gets back home with the money, the perp wants the money transferred into a brown paper bag. THis was probably so the money could be put into a trash can or similar place and not draw attention until the perp got around to retreiving it.

He had it reasonably figured out -- and why not? He learned it from "kidnap seminars" called movies. However, I don't think the perp was smart enough to have planned built-in delays to "buy time". Buy time to do what? He wasn't going anywhere -- IMO he lived there. Otherwise, the body would have been taken, dead or alive, when he exited the house. But it wasn't taken, so no one exited the house.

Therefore, the body, the ransom note, and the perp, were all still in the house when the cops got there at 6:00 AM.

BlueCrab

Your post:

However, I don't think the perp was smart enough to have planned built-in delays to "buy time". Buy time to do what?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smart enough to not be in prison, despite a handwritten ransom note. You know, signatures are still used to legally establish one's identity, and yet the killer remains at large despite 3 pages of signatures. This is because the author is not around, and he knew he wouldn't be when he wrote the note.

I believe the money gathering request was a ruse to buy time to leave the state and/or country. If you read the ransom note, he wanted the family to:

1. Not call the police.
2. Spend hours and hours getting money and waiting for the kidnapper's phone call.

In this scenario, I don't believe the perp would want to explain the murdered child or any other evidence that turned up in a car search. Thats why all the evidence was left at the house.

THANK YOU BC!
I wasn't going to admit that I couldn't remember! In fact I enlisted the whole household to do word retrieval for me.

Holdontoyourhat said:

I don't know where "here" is for you, but in the professional business world we use the words either briefcase or attache.

Well im here in Australia and we certainly dont say attache...we say briefcase. I was under the impression that the word attache is more a european sort of a word....have the Rameys travelled to Europe does anyone know...i know they travelled alot.....

Your post:

"An attache would appear business-like and not draw attention in a bank setting."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My guess is that when a distraught Mr. Ramsey went to the bank to get $118,000 in hard currency, he was going to draw all kinds of attention!

Meanwhile, can someone explain to me what a 'fat cat' is. I mean, that's another expression not used around here. Does it mean a lazy person, as in Garfield? Does it mean an affluent person? Who are the other 'fat cats'. Is the perp saying he's a fat cat too, so he can pay the 2 aforementioned gentlemen, so killing wont be difficult?

It sounds like a term more frequently used in the 1960's or 1950's, suggesting an older author. I sure don't hear it used now.

"Fat cat" is used in reference to the affluent (ie) "corporate big wigs", etc.
IMO, it's a give away to the, age and/or gender and jealousy of the author of the ransom note. Or some person with a political agenda.

In Steve Thomas' book he quotes a "wise person" who said, "Murders are usually what they seem". Makes sense to me.

Can you elaborate? Its a giveaway to what age and what gender, in your opinion?

"Adequate" isn't normally used in everyday language either. Attache might be more normal than "adequate".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1
Back