Dead woman's home filled with snakes, other tough critters

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Tarantulas and scorpions and poisonous snakes, oh my.

Animal Control officers found 66 of these and other creatures, including a millipede and an ill-tempered gecko, in the home of a 48-year-old Albuquerque woman who died Thursday, officials said.

"Animal Services arrived and found several extremely dangerous snakes that could immediately kill a person," said Denise Wilcox, associate director of the East Side Animal Care Center, noting in particular a few cobras in the collection.

Police were called to the woman's home in Southeast Albuquerque Thursday for a natural death, so they can't give the woman's name or address, said Officer Trish Ahrensfield, an Albuquerque Police Department spokeswoman.

"They're doing an autopsy, but we don't know anything else," Ahrensfield said. "There were no signs of trauma, although the primary officers don't look for things like snake bites."

The animals included a monocled cobra and a shield-nose cobra, a bird-eating tarantula, a Southeast Asian Tokay gecko, three African frogs and a few poisonous scorpions.

"The monocled cobra - that's a scary animal right there," said Ray Darnell, director of the Albuquerque Biological Park, keeping himself a safe distance from the glass tank holding it.

These are not animals you'd want around the house," Darnell said. "All these tarantulas are interesting, we only have four in the biopark. We might be interested in the gecko, too. The cobras, though, those are nasty. We got rid of those at the zoo, because they're too dangerous

http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/nw_local/article/0,2564,ALBQ_19858_3670543,00.html

mysteriew said:
Tarantulas and scorpions and poisonous snakes, oh my.

Animal Control officers found 66 of these and other creatures, including a millipede and an ill-tempered gecko, in the home of a 48-year-old Albuquerque woman who died Thursday, officials said.

"Animal Services arrived and found several extremely dangerous snakes that could immediately kill a person," said Denise Wilcox, associate director of the East Side Animal Care Center, noting in particular a few cobras in the collection.

Police were called to the woman's home in Southeast Albuquerque Thursday for a natural death, so they can't give the woman's name or address, said Officer Trish Ahrensfield, an Albuquerque Police Department spokeswoman.

"They're doing an autopsy, but we don't know anything else," Ahrensfield said. "There were no signs of trauma, although the primary officers don't look for things like snake bites."

The animals included a monocled cobra and a shield-nose cobra, a bird-eating tarantula, a Southeast Asian Tokay gecko, three African frogs and a few poisonous scorpions.

"The monocled cobra - that's a scary animal right there," said Ray Darnell, director of the Albuquerque Biological Park, keeping himself a safe distance from the glass tank holding it.

These are not animals you'd want around the house," Darnell said. "All these tarantulas are interesting, we only have four in the biopark. We might be interested in the gecko, too. The cobras, though, those are nasty. We got rid of those at the zoo, because they're too dangerous

http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/nw_local/article/0,2564,ALBQ_19858_3670543,00.html
Oh my gosh! A bird eating tarantuala is HUGE! The largest spider, by far, of any of them! As big as your dinner plate, about 14". What the heck was she feeding it? :eek:

I have a hunch this woman didn't get a lot of unwanted visitors! I didn't catch it, but were these animals loose?

Dark Knight said:
Oh my gosh! A bird eating tarantuala is HUGE! The largest spider, by far, of any of them! As big as your dinner plate, about 14". What the heck was she feeding it? :eek:
14 inches! you men and your exaggerations :doh:

Diner plate is 10 - 11 inches on average.. still a freaking big spider.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittinvestigates4u
Back