TX - Still No Life Without Parole

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/040505dntexparole.1aaea0548.html

AUSTIN - The Senate on Tuesday rejected a bill that would have given juries the power to sentence capital murderers to life in prison without parole.

Texas juries have only two options after reaching a guilty verdict in capital murder cases: execution by lethal injection or life in prison with the possibility of parole after 40 years.

The bill by Sen. Eddie Lucio, D-Brownsville, had the support of the majority of the senators, but failed to garner the two-thirds support required by Senate rules to bring it up for debate. By a 19-12 decision, the bill failed by two votes. All 12 "no" votes were cast by Republicans.

Lucio has pushed for the third option for several years. The bill failed in 2003 when it was one vote short.

After the bill failed again Tuesday, Lucio was conferring with several lawmakers in an attempt to resurrect it.

What the heck is going on here?
the 12 nos were Republicans.
I might be wrong here, but it sounds like the Republicans want death, without any other feasible option.
I think it is horrible, and when it comes to the trials and tribulations of Tom DeLay and the majority it makes me hurl...

Bhodirasta said:
I think it is horrible, and when it comes to the trials and tribulations of Tom DeLay and the majority it makes me hurl...
Couldn't have said it better myself!

I do not understand this vote either - There are some criminals I believe dont deserve death, nor do they deserve to EVER get out of prison...I have written my congressman... I urge you other Texans out there to do the same. LWOP should most definately be an option in Texas! There is no reason for it not to be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back