MD MD - April Jacobowitz, 32, Germantown, 6 Oct 2002

JillyNJ

Profile pic is Jamie Diane Seymour
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for April and felt she needed one. She does not have a Chaley Project page either. She Appears Asian but is listed as White. Here is her NamUs link.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2222/47

APRIL MONIQUE JACOBOWITZ

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: November/December 2002 from Germantown, Montgomery County, Maryland
Classification: Endangered Missing
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 100 - 110 lbs.
Hair Color: Dark Brown
Eye Color: Green
Race: White
Medical Conditions:Jacobowitz suffers from mental disorders.
She is on medication for them, but did not have her medicine when she vanished.
Case Number: G03108668
NCIC Number: M583273988
Details of Disappearance
Jacobwitz was living in the 12400 block of Great Park Circle in Germantown, Maryland at the time of her disappearance, but she apparently left that area in November or December 2002. She did not have access to a car at the time of her disappearance. There has been no activity on her bank accounts since February 2003.

Jacobowitz was estranged from her family at the time of her disappearance, but she kept in contact with her two small children, who lived with her parents. Jacobowitz's family reported missing on May 13, 2003 when she missed one of her children's birthdays, something she had never done before.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
5th District Investigative Section
301-840-2347

Source Information
Montgomery County, Maryland
Namus

Her name is also spelled Apryll, also Aprill, Apryl, and is sometimes April/April Solomon, or Solomon-Jacobowitz.

Here is her father's 1995 obituary: http://www.nytimes.com/1995/12/30/us/joel-solomon-63-headed-blood-banks.html

It appears that there are a number of court judgements to do with her and her then husband (who tried to divorce in 2003 but papers bounced, as she could not be reached).

According to some child support paperwork, one of their children was actually adopted by someone in 2000, and as of 2003 "adoption is pending" for the other. I think they were adopted by relatives... but the relatives I am coming up with don't look like her parents - especially as her father had died in 1995, and the name of the woman is different.

Okay, I'm not sure if this picture provided of her is actually a good representation. I found a very blurry high school photo in which she looks totally different, and her son doesn't look even a little bit Asian. (Neither does her mother, but she could have been adopted).

Love your sleuthing, alllads!

Thanks! I did dig up some old information, and from what I could find, I think April was living with her stepparents, or something like that, for some time. And her children, or at least one of them, was adopted by a step-relative or something like that.

Also, found another alias for her: Apryll Monroe Jacobowitz.

Never mind again, finally got to the bottom of the maze. At some period before she became estranged from her parents, she was living with her mother and her step-father. It is this same mother and step-father that adopted the child/children. Just want to be clear as it could MAYBE be relevant - also it's part of me trying to figure out if she did actually look as Asian in real life as she does in this particular photo. Her race in court records is listed as Caucasian.

I think that April Jacobowitz could be a match for this UID. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...451-25-35-near-Malibu-Grand-Prix-Oct-04/page2

The demographics, timeline and location all fit. The sketch isn't great but IMO there is a resemblance. The problem is there are no identifiers on file in NamUs for April. I'm guessing that the lack of identifiers could be because she was estranged from her family. I'm wondering if her children might be old enough now to submit samples on their own?

It looks like the family tree was looked at thoroughly 3 years ago. I'm hoping someone is still on here who can help...

I think that April Jacobowitz could be a match for this UID. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...451-25-35-near-Malibu-Grand-Prix-Oct-04/page2

The demographics, timeline and location all fit. The sketch isn't great but IMO there is a resemblance. The problem is there are no identifiers on file in NamUs for April. I'm guessing that the lack of identifiers could be because she was estranged from her family. I'm wondering if her children might be old enough now to submit samples on their own?

It looks like the family tree was looked at thoroughly 3 years ago. I'm hoping someone is still on here who can help...

Yes, it does look a lot like her. I'd reckon it's possible she could have traveled to New Jersey, though with her supposed "mental illness" (not specified) I'm a bit skeptical as to how she could have had the executive functioning to travel that far without attracting attention if she was off her meds or acting erratically. She may have not been getting along with her family, but I'm sure they still tried to keep tabs on her and knew where she was most of the time... did she work? Was she in one of those "group homes" for the mentally ill or in subsidized housing? She had kids living with their grandparents so I'm sure she would have wanted to remain close by to them - family noted it was highly unusual for her to miss a birthday. We don't even know if she had a license or could drive. How did she get around? Would a friend have picked her up and taken her to NJ? Would she have known how to take public transit? What would the motive have been for her to leave the area? All these questions are percolating for me right now.

Regarding the many people who said she looked "Asian" - I don't think this is a very good picture of her. April, whose maiden name was Solomon, is likely Jewish.

Yes, it does look a lot like her. I'd reckon it's possible she could have traveled to New Jersey, though with her supposed "mental illness" (not specified) I'm a bit skeptical as to how she could have had the executive functioning to travel that far without attracting attention if she was off her meds or acting erratically. She may have not been getting along with her family, but I'm sure they still tried to keep tabs on her and knew where she was most of the time... did she work? Was she in one of those "group homes" for the mentally ill or in subsidized housing? She had kids living with their grandparents so I'm sure she would have wanted to remain close by to them - family noted it was highly unusual for her to miss a birthday. We don't even know if she had a license or could drive. How did she get around? Would a friend have picked her up and taken her to NJ? Would she have known how to take public transit? What would the motive have been for her to leave the area? All these questions are percolating for me right now.

Regarding the many people who said she looked "Asian" - I don't think this is a very good picture of her. April, whose maiden name was Solomon, is likely Jewish.

I've been thinking about some of these questions too. I'm less inclined to submit her knowing that the picture of her is not indicative of her actual appearance and that she probably does not have Asian/Native/Hispanic ancestry as that UID is thought to. Her NamUs does perhaps answer a few questions:

"Jacobwitz was living in the 12400 block of Great Park Circle in Germantown, Maryland at the time of her disappearance, but she apparently left that area in November or December 2002. She did not have access to a car at the time of her disappearance. There has been no activity on her bank accounts since February 2003..."

Where was the last activity on her bank account? It sounds like between December 2002 and February 2003 she went somewhere without a car... but where? I'm still surprised that since she came from an affluent family who she was in contact with that no identifiers are available for her. I wonder if her dental records or DNA are in a file somewhere but didn't get listed in NamUs because it was someone else -family or another agency who created her case file.

Honestly, I get the feeling that the family is not actively looking for their daughter, and probably have not for a long time now. They probably think that she is dead. I believe she burned bridges with her parents, and though they wanted to help her, their bond with her was never really repaired. We don't know. The grandparents had custody of her kids. This may have led to some bitterness on her part. There was no contact unless it involved the kids. I can't imagine what sort of support network she had as a disabled adult. We know she didn't have access to a car. One could hope that she had a social worker who kept tabs on her - that's a part of the state with excellent resources. She had housing and was on meds, which tells you she was getting care and accessing programs made available to her. Not sure if she would have crossed paths with anyone who was really out to harm her unless there's much more to this story than meets the eye, i.e. drug problems.

Honestly, I get the feeling that the family is not actively looking for their daughter, and probably have not for a long time now. They probably think that she is dead. I believe she burned bridges with her parents, and though they wanted to help her, their bond with her was never really repaired. We don't know. The grandparents had custody of her kids. This may have led to some bitterness on her part. There was no contact unless it involved the kids. I can't imagine what sort of support network she had as a disabled adult. We know she didn't have access to a car. One could hope that she had a social worker who kept tabs on her - that's a part of the state with excellent resources. She had housing and was on meds, which tells you she was getting care and accessing programs made available to her. Not sure if she would have crossed paths with anyone who was really out to harm her unless there's much more to this story than meets the eye, i.e. drug problems.

I am actually aprils daughter, I haven’t been told much about what happened or why she went missing, I know her and my father had a lot of domestic problems and he was abusive to her mentally and physically, my mother took medicine for mental Illness but was not crazy or incapable of doing anything any normal person couldn’t. If anyone has anything to add you can message me here, my grandparents (aprils mom+ step dad) adopted me and my brother and they searched for years for her, hired private investigators and everything but no one ever found her and my grandparents couldn’t afford to keep paying to search after 10+ years. I wish I got the opportunity to know her more so I could help solve this but I was only 4 when she went missing

I am April's husband still to this day our kids have grown but I still wonder why this cold case is put back, I personally think her boyfriend had something to do with her dissapparents I had a alibi at the time of her gone missing, I went to her bank to find out if any $ was being withdrawn to no avail, then I checked ssi but couldn't get any information I last saw Apryll on father's day dropped her off at her boyfriends home only to never here from her again, I talk to her boyfriends sister who Apryll keeper in touch with she told me she left in a red car that night, I call her cell phone many times and her boyfriend answered saying her moved out I no my wife always had her cell phone with always I wish Montgomery County would double ck my facts look at the last person who she was with. After 24 years I'm still amazed nothing has surfaced

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back