America's Most Miserable Cities

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/02/02/americas-most-miserable-cities/

America's Most Miserable Cities
Kurt Badenhausen, Forbes Staff

Miami is a playground for the rich and famous. Celebrities flock to parties at South Beach clubs and then return to their $10 million mansions in Miami Beach and Key Biscayne. It’s a leading city in culture, finance and international trade. But away from the glitz and glamor, many ordinary Miamians are struggling....

How could you not be miserable in a city with the Dolphins football team. :floorlaugh:

Here's the top 20; http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45hdlg/2-detroit-mich/

This is from 2012

ouch! 3 cities from michigan on that list, including the city i grew up in (warren).

thanks for posting!

Is # 9 missing or am I losing my mind?

I am having trouble with the Forbes website. Can someone list the cities for me? Thanks.

ok some cities are listed due to weather which is unfair really.

I actually don't like Orlando! Lol. I am allowed to say that though, my best friend lives there!

1. Detroit MI
2. Flint MI
3. Rockford IL
4. Chicago IL
5. Modesto CA
6. Vallejo CA
7. Warren NI
8. Stockton CA
9. Lake County IL
10. NYC
11. Toledo OH
12. StL MO: StL & Detroit are the only two metros to rank in the bottom 50% in each of the nine metrics of misery we considered. StL worst scores are on net migration.
13. Camden NJ: New statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau labelled Camden the most impoverished city in the U.S. with 42.5% of residents living below the poverty line.
14. Milwaukee WI
15. Atlantic City NJ
16. Atlanta GA
17. Cleveland OH: Only Detroit & Flint have had a faster exodus rate out of the city than Cleveland over the past 3 years.
18. Poughkeepsie NY
19. Gary IN
20. Youngstown OH

Excellent photos & captions

ok some cities are listed due to weather which is unfair really.

From the Forbes article:

This year we examined nine factors for the 200 largest metro areas in the US. The metrics include the serious: 1) violent crime, 2) unemployment, 3) foreclosures, 4) taxes (income and property) and 5) home prices. We also include less weighty, but still important quality-of-life issues like 6) commute times and 7) weather.

We tweaked the methodology (8?) in this year’s list in response to feedback from readers, dropping our rankings of both pro sports team success and political corruption, since both were based on regional, rather than city-specific data. We also added a new measure—net migration (9)—which we see as a clear gauge of whether or not residents feel a community is worth living in. Detroit, which ranked No. 2 last year, also would have finished No. 1 under the previous methodology.

I can attest to the fact that the City of StL ain't what it used to be . . .

I actually don't like Orlando! Lol. I am allowed to say that though, my best friend lives there!

Let's see. KC lives there and so do a bunch of other :butthead: associated with the defense or family of that biotch! Even if you didn't have a friend living there I think you could say that. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back