ME - Rescued after becoming lost, two hikers later drive to ocean deaths

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
2 Maine hikers rescued but later drive to ocean deaths. (CBS)
A pregnant Maine woman and her friend visiting from Pennsylvania got lost hiking and were rescued but died later that evening, authorities said, when they accidentally drove their car into the ocean in the nighttime fog.

Amy Stiner, 37, of Machias, and Melissa Moyer, 38, of Sunbury, Pa., presumably drowned when Stiner drove her minivan down a boat ramp at the end of a dead-end road at about 9 p.m. Tuesday.
---
Washington County Sheriff Donnie Smith called the deaths a tragic accident made worse because Stiner was five months pregnant.
---
Earlier in the evening, the women hiked in Roque Bluffs State Park but got lost and called for help. A landowner found them and their dog and gave them rides on his ATV back to his house, where a warden picked them up and brought them to their vehicle, which was parked at the park.
---
"It appears they went the wrong direction and drove off the ramp," Smith said. "If you don't know the area, in the fog and rain it wouldn't be a difficult thing to do."
more at the link

I've posted this in another threads, but I'll post it again:

My cousin Lenny would be a missing person today were it not for a woman letting her dogs out. He got turned around after stopping for gas on his way home from a conference. Drove down a boat ramp (they look amazingly like two-lane country roads) and drowned. Had that woman letting her dogs out not heard the splash- he would NEVER have been found- his car traveled a hundred feet into the reservoir before it sank.

This is so incredibly tragic.......

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back