When do office pranks go too far?

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2013/08/08/pkg-man-tasered-at-work.khou.html

It's a video so I can't easily put any quotes in.

I hope this guy wins his case and his wife's political career is affected.

Have you pulled, or seen someone pull, a prank that went too far?

I once took a boss' coat. it was really nice and he was really cool, and put it in his large file drawer. (I didn't harm the coat in any way.) It turned out that my mailbox key worked on his file drawer and he was mystified for awhile. Later on he took my coat and hid it. Payback is a biotch. :laughcry:

At the last place I worked, pranks were part of the norm.
But the pranks
1. didn't cause damage
2. didn't distract time from work (only coffee breaks)
3. weren't mean in nature
4. weren't focused on people who disapproved of pranks
5. weren't dangerous

So, some of the pranks:
switching coffee to a hated brand or roast type
hiding favorite coffee mugs
changing time on clocks
turning volume on phone ringer way up
hiding desk items in weird places
loading a desk up with a wall of boxes

Yes, they aren't pranks of the year or anything but it was a way to relieve stress without causing bad feelings with coworkers or bosses.

Those were harmless. The prank pulled on this guy over and over isn't funny. JMO

On his second day of working in the store, I had told the new zone manager that my dept manager and I would crossdress on Wednesday nights and go ballroom dancing. (that's the short version, it would take too long to type it all out). After planting that idea in his head, I then called fellow co-workers and had them gossip near him about the dancing and dressing up. When I called my dept manager and told him what I did he said "You did tell him it was a joke after.. right?" My reply was "Oh, I forgot that little tid bit" LOL

One of my favorite pranks was replacing someone's phone cord with one that was about 2 inches long. Then call them. :giggle:

On his second day of working in the store, I had told the new zone manager that my dept manager and I would crossdress on Wednesday nights and go ballroom dancing. (that's the short version, it would take too long to type it all out). After planting that idea in his head, I then called fellow co-workers and had them gossip near him about the dancing and dressing up. When I called my dept manager and told him what I did he said "You did tell him it was a joke after.. right?" My reply was "Oh, I forgot that little tid bit" LOL

So how many days did you end up working there? :what:

The accused, Mr Harless, is the husband of a senator. He and his wife own the dealership. Interesting, and if true, can't the people who did the tasering be arrested for assault ?

That's horrible. His manager, who should have prevented this, was the one who filmed it AND supplied the taser (but then denied it now that it's all blown up in his face, surprise surprise). I think pranks are alright in the workplace when they are actually funny, not when they cause physical pain and distress like this. And certainly not when it goes on for months.

Two of the guys I work with call each other on a semi-regular basis, posing as a customer needing product support, using different accents and being difficult on purpose. But everyone has a laugh about it, and it's definitely just viewed as a bit of fun to break up the day. There's no malicious intent behind it, and it's not done to humiliate anyone. And both the people involved are just as into it as the other.

The poor guy. I hope he finds a new job soon, and finds a way to cope with this anxiety as quickly as he can.

I know what a prank is and THAT was NOT a prank. Tasers can be very dangerous... this man was basically getting assaulted with a potentially deadly weapon.

Hate pranks in general.....the potential for unexpected and dangerous reactions is too likely.

So how many days did you end up working there? :what:

LOL I was there for several years after that, and people still talk about it today, we had him going for quite some time. Mind you, when my review came up he gave me a very small increase in pay that year, with a note that said "I never forget" LOL

One of my favorite pranks was replacing someone's phone cord with one that was about 2 inches long. Then call them. :giggle:

At one garage I worked at the local Frito_Lay driver would come in daily after unloading his truck across the road. when I'd see him pull in, I'd pack the ear piece of our desk phone with hand cleaner, then set it on the desk and go to the door and well across the street to him that his fiance' was on the phone for him. He always used our phone to call her after work. I can't even count how many times he'd run over and put that phone against his ear getting it full of hand cleaner. :floorlaugh:

Harmless pranking can be fun, and with my coworkers and friends it was mutual, and fun. Pranks that cause real harm and turn to bullying I don't like.

The accused, Mr Harless, is the husband of a senator. He and his wife own the dealership. Interesting, and if true, can't the people who did the tasering be arrested for assault ?

I would hope so because that's no prank, that's criminal assault, IMHO. A young man recently died from tasering.

Mr. fancy pants (the defendant) did not provide a secure and safe working environment for his employees, and will most likely pay the price.

I'm all for a good prank (though I'm not the pranking type), but this one went too far.

MOO

Mel

This poor guy.....he was tazed over 20 times! Can you imagine how paranoid a person would be after the first couple times? Just going to work had to be dreadful! Being tazed must be terribly painful and I agree that it had to have been so humiliating for him....what awful working conditions. The owner seems like a real jerk....who probably will end up paying this guy a hefty settlement, rightfully so.

If this happened to me I would probably pee my pants -which would make it even more embarrassing.

LOL I was there for several years after that, and people still talk about it today, we had him going for quite some time. Mind you, when my review came up he gave me a very small increase in pay that year, with a note that said "I never forget" LOL

BBM

I would hope so because that's no prank, that's criminal assault, IMHO. A young man recently died from tasering.

Mr. fancy pants (the defendant) did not provide a secure and safe working environment for his employees, and will most likely pay the price.

I'm all for a good prank (though I'm not the pranking type), but this one went too far.

MOO

Mel

I hope his wife's political pull doesn't affect this case.

this was all over the media last night and I think justice will be served.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back