Victim: Alicia Showalter Reynolds and the Route 29 Stalker, 2 March 1996

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
15 years later, Route 29 stalker case remains unsolved

Wednesday - 3/2/2011, 7:38am ET
Hank Silverberg, wtop.com

CULPEPER, Va. - It was a case that gripped the region for weeks - the murder of a 25-year-old college graduate as she drove from Baltimore toward Charlottesville.

'29 stalker' case still open, 15 years late
Posted: Mar 01, 2011 9:23 PM CDT
By Reed Williams
RICHMOND — Virginia State Police are hoping for help from the public in solving the killing of Alicia Showalter Reynolds, who disappeared 15 years ago today in Culpeper County.
Authorities delve anew into unsolved Va. killings
The Washington Post - April 2, 2010
GR2010040104100.gif

Stalker: Police hope to catch the man who prowled U.S. 29 -- Free Lance Star -- Sunday, Sept. 22, 2002

Authorities reexamine 'Colonial Parkway' killings in Virginia
By Maria Glod
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, April 2, 2010
The attacker confronted Cathy Thomas more than two decades ago, putting a rope around her neck and cutting her throat. Instinctively, she reached out and grabbed some hair. Her brother said he hopes that it will be the evidence to point police to a suspected serial killer.

Now, dozens of pieces of evidence, including the hair, are being reexamined at the FBI's lab in Quantico using modern technology. Results are expected in a few weeks, an FBI spokeswoman said.
Investigators are also putting fresh eyes on a list of about 130 suspects. FBI agents are reviewing more than 3,500 reports generated by the case. And FBI spokeswoman Vanessa Torres said the agency has asked "America's Most Wanted" to feature the information. A tipster could provide a fresh lead.
Much more at the link

Harrington case reminding many of Route 29 Stalker
Posted: Feb 08, 2010 3:25 PM CDT Updated: Feb 08, 2010 10:10 PM CDT
By Rachel DePompa

Alicia Showalter Reynolds

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA (WWBT) – The search for Morgan Harrington's killer continues. The skeletal remains of the Virginia Tech student were found two weeks ago on a farm off Route 29. Her murder is reminding many of a cold case from 14 years ago: The abduction and murder of a woman by the Route 29 Stalker.

A young woman goes missing. She's last seen on the side of the road. Weeks later her remains are found in a remote area near Route 29. This isn't a description of what happened to Harrington -- this is the story of Alicia Showalter Reynolds.
cont. at the link

Link probed in ‘29 Stalker’ case
August 12th, 2013, 10:10 pm
BY PAMELA GOULD / THE FREE LANCE–STAR Hours after authorities identified the man charged with abducting a Nelson County teen, a Virginia State Police agent called Sadie Showalter to say her daughter’s case would be part of the broader investigation.

Alicia Showalter Reynolds, 25, was abducted on March 2, 1996, as she drove south on U.S. 29 toward Charlottesville. Her car was found that day on the shoulder of the road in Culpeper County.
Evidence in ‘29 Stalker’ to get new look
March 1st, 2013, 4:47 pm
BY PAMELA GOULD

On the 17th anniversary of Alicia Showalter Reynolds’ disappearance, her mother holds the first bit of encouragement she has received in years.
A Virginia State Police investigator recently took some of the evidence in Reynolds’ slaying to the state crime lab to be re-analyzed, Showalter said.
It’s a step in the direction Showalter has been requesting in the Culpeper County case for the past five years.
***RT 29 STALKER CASE in VIRGINIA and COLONIAL PARKWAY MURDERS STILL UNSOLVED FOR OVER A DECADE!***
By tonyaloves | Posted January 29, 2011 | Culpeper, Virginia
Written by:
Tonya Becker-Haddadeen
from Stafford, VA near Washington, DC

Date: January 29, 2011

Many of the women who the Route 29 Stalker pulled over did not live to tell their story and were found murdered! This case has never been solved for over 1 decade now! Many believe that the Route 29 Stalker in northern Virginia is a SERIAL KILLER who has never been caught and is linked to many unsolved murder cases!

Police Still Investigating 1996 Culpeper, Va., Homicide Of Alicia Showalter Reynolds
11:11 PM, Mar 2, 2012
According to witnesses who saw Ms. Reynolds' vehicle parked on the southbound shoulder of Route 29 on March 2, 1996, a white male, approximately 35-45 years old with a medium build and light to medium brown hair was stopped out with her vehicle. The man, described as between 5'10' to 6'0 tall, was driving a dark-colored pickup truck, possibly a green Nissan.
**Two excellent articles below, with maps, timelines, and photos.**

Cold Case? Alicia Showalter Reynolds & the fall and rise of Darrell Rice
By Barbara Nordin | nordin@readthehook.com
Published online 8:00am Thursday May 17th, 2007
and in print issue #0620 dated Thursday May 17th, 2007
As cars flew past that spot on a March day in 1996, some drivers noticed a young woman standing near her white Mercury Tracer on the shoulder and talking to a man whose pickup truck was parked nearby. The hood of the car was up, and the man and woman were studying the engine; some observers saw her getting into his truck. She was never seen alive again.
Since then, her name– Alicia Showalter Reynolds– has been etched into the minds of many Central Virginians because of what happened to her that day. But the man was never found. Or was he?
Murder in the Park: Rice release revives memories
By Barbara Nordin | nordin@readthehook.com
Published online 8:00am Thursday May 24th, 2007
and in print issue #0621 dated Thursday May 24th, 2007
As the weeks dragged by with neither a body nor a suspect, fear of the Stalker steadily rose. Then, on May 7, a man walking in a rural part of Culpeper County noticed buzzards circling above a field and went to investigate. The search for Alicia Showalter Reynolds was over. The search for her killer, however, has never ended.
Now, less than a month later, came news of fresh horror.

Should this thread be removed from the RAT sub-forum then?

Please don't take this thread down. I just talked with a friend who is a private investigator in Virginia. PI says that is very easy to misread release dates as they are notoriously unreliable, and do not account for early release dates. Mr. Taylor could have been out of jail months before the recorded release date, and the reporter's conclusion that he was in jail in March 1996 may not actually be correct. I believe the Inside NoVa reporter could be misreading release dates.

To my knowledge, no one from law enforcement has said that they have eliminated Randy Allen Taylor from involvement in any case, let alone one as complicated as the Route 29 Stalker case. That would never happen at this stage in the investigation. The FBI, VSP and local law enforcement would be open to everything.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

http://www.nbc29.com/story/23136615/abduction-suspect-not-linked-to-route-29-stalker

Abduction Suspect not Linked to "Route 29 Stalker"

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 1:23 PM EDT
Updated: Aug 14, 2013 1:23 PM EDT

Randy Taylor
Randy Taylor
Timeline: The Search for Alexis Murphy
RELATED ARTICLE: Man Arrested in Alexis Murphy Disappearance May be Linked to Similar Case
RELATED ARTICLE: Police Pursuing New Leads in 1996 Homicide
Abduction suspect in the Alexis Murphy case out of Nelson County, Randy Taylor, does not appear to be connected to a well-known murder case from the area.

Alexis Murphy has been missing since August 3. She was last seen at the Liberty gas station in Lovingston that same day around 7:15 p.m., according to surveillance video.

The "Route 29 stalker" is believed to have been behind the disappearance of Alicia Showalter Reynolds in March of 1996. Two months after she vanished, her body was found in a wooded area in Culpeper.

Taylor was in prison at the time. He was serving a five-year sentence on a burglary charge.

Does anyone know if Darrell David Rice is currently listed on a sex offender registry? I don't see him on the list in MD or VA.
The Alicia Showalter Reynolds case absolutely fits Darrell's M.O.
I hope he's still on probation, or wearing the GPS.

Does anyone know if Darrell David Rice is currently listed on a sex offender registry? I don't see him on the list in MD or VA.
The Alicia Showalter Reynolds case absolutely fits Darrell's M.O.
I hope he's still on probation, or wearing the GPS.

Last I read Darrell David Rice was living in Kent Island, MD.

Thanks.

Bill Thomas

There is a rumor going around right now in Durango, Colorado that Darrell David Rice is in town. Apparently he filled out a job application and the background check revealed, well......his background.

There is a rumor going around right now in Durango, Colorado that Darrell David Rice is in town. Apparently he filled out a job application and the background check revealed, well......his background.

I tried to confirm by checking the sex offender site but the pay sites have gotten to google ever since they hit the stock market.

(bad google

I would rather pay you 10 bucks a month. APP HOLE,.)

bessie, is it just me, or does he look like a vicious stalker???

Please don't take this thread down. I just talked with a friend who is a private investigator in Virginia. PI says that is very easy to misread release dates as they are notoriously unreliable, and do not account for early release dates. Mr. Taylor could have been out of jail months before the recorded release date, and the reporter's conclusion that he was in jail in March 1996 may not actually be correct. I believe the Inside NoVa reporter could be misreading release dates.

To my knowledge, no one from law enforcement has said that they have eliminated Randy Allen Taylor from involvement in any case, let alone one as complicated as the Route 29 Stalker case. That would never happen at this stage in the investigation. The FBI, VSP and local law enforcement would be open to everything.

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

I don't know how I missed this post. After months of members searching through RAT's background and all the places he lived, there is nothing to show that he may not have had some relation to or crossed paths or associated with other similar suspects, like Richard Evonitz and possibly even Darrell David Rice.

Thanks for leaving this thread up-- I still feel that there are relationships between various unsolved murders in Virginia.

The Colonial Parkway Murders remain an open investigation. The Thomas/Dowski murder and the Call/Hailey disappearance, which happened on the Federal property of the Colonial Parkway, are being handled by the FBI from their offices in Newport News and Norfolk, VA. The Phelps/Lauer murder and the Edwards/Knobling case are being handled by the Virginia State Police as they happened off the Colonial Parkway. If anyone has a tip or other information, they can contact me here, via the same username at America Online, or contact the FBI or Virginia State Police.

Bill Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders
Los Angeles, CA

@ just k

yes from what i understand Evonit was in seattle the same time as taylor also in the same living area as taylor in virginia.. If we look deeper his truck is the same style as taylor.

Please keep us informed. I saw the article. I've been trying to find him on sex offender sites to see where he was. His mom died, I believe his sister is in FLA.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back