CA - Suzanne Bombardier, 14, abducted & murdered, Antioch, 22 June 1980 *Arrest in 2017*

sandy betts

Reaction score
I found some information on a Suzanne A. Bomardier. She was 14 at the time of her kidnapping. She was babysitting at her sisters apt.in Antioch Ca., the childrens ages were 5 and 6. She had made a phone call to a friend at 1:30am that Sunday 6-22-80. Everything seemed to be ok at that time,shortly after that call she disappeared ,her death is listed as 6-27-1980. She was an honor student at Antioch High School. Her body was found nude in the San Joaquin River on Friday the June 27th, so my guess is that she was killed sometime between the 6-22 the 27th ? Her overnight bag and shoes were still at the apt. No sign of a break in. If anyone has information on this cold case , please contact Antioch Pd. I have not found any new news about this case, but would like to learn more about it. It is very much like the Elaine Davis case in Walnut Creek, less than 20 miles from Antioch. Her body was found in Water near Santa Cruz Ca. also unsolved.

This is my hometown, and was still quite small back then. Everyone knew each other. I'll have to pick the brains of family members to see what they remember.

http://antiochherald.com/2015/06/p16714/

Former Antioch police officers want to work on the cold case of Suzanne Bombardier, who was 14 when she was murdered on June 22, 1980, after being kidnapped, raped and stabbed through the heart. Her body was later discovered after being dumped in the river.

Greg Glod, a former Antioch Police Detective, who spent 26 years with the Secret Service and is now the Deputy Director for Threat Analysis of the Pentagon Force Protection Agency in Washington, D.C., is spearheading the effort. Joining him are retired Antioch Police Sgt. Larry Hopwood and Detective Ron Rackley (more at link).

"A search for justice, 35 years after Antioch teen’s slaying"

http://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/A-search-for-justice-35-years-after-Antioch-6342900.php

But something went horribly wrong after Suzanne babysat her nieces at her sister’s Antioch town house on June 21, 1980 — the first day of summer.

When her older sister Stephanie returned the next morning from a shift at a nearby restaurant, she didn’t see Suzanne but assumed she was sleeping upstairs. In fact, she had been kidnapped.

Five days later, hope was lost when Suzanne’s nude body was pulled from the San Joaquin River about a quarter mile east of the Antioch Bridge. She had been sexually assaulted and stabbed in the heart.

Now, 35 years after her slaying, with few solid leads in the case, Suzanne’s family and two retired Antioch police officers who worked the investigation — drawn together by a stranger — are searching for justice.

I found some information on a Suzanne A. Bomardier. She was 14 at the time of her kidnapping. She was babysitting at her sisters apt.in Antioch Ca., the childrens ages were 5 and 6. She had made a phone call to a friend at 1:30am that Sunday 6-22-80. Everything seemed to be ok at that time,shortly after that call she disappeared ,her death is listed as 6-27-1980. She was an honor student at Antioch High School. Her body was found nude in the San Joaquin River on Friday the June 27th, so my guess is that she was killed sometime between the 6-22 the 27th ? Her overnight bag and shoes were still at the apt. No sign of a break in. If anyone has information on this cold case , please contact Antioch Pd. I have not found any new news about this case, but would like to learn more about it. It is very much like the Elaine Davis case in Walnut Creek, less than 20 miles from Antioch. Her body was found in Water near Santa Cruz Ca. also unsolved.

A new thread for Elaine Davis was started in Cold Cases: CA - Elaine Louise Davis, 17, Walnut Creek, 1 December 1969.

Thank goodness for the detective work that finally put Suzanne's killer behind bars. The articles that are being published since the verdict really fill in some answers as to how he was affiliated with Suzanne and what may have transpired on the night she disappeared. MB is a monster, he has quite a rap sheet too. Makes me wonder what else is he responsible for. He was active during the time of the Zodiac.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mitchell-bacom-arrested-murder-kidnap-rape-suzanne-bombardier-antioch/

I’m not seeing how he was associated with her.. could someone elaborate?

So sad.. only 14;(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

April 15 2018
[h=1]REVEALED: Rapist, 63, arrested over the 1980 murder of a 14-year-old girl through DNA evidence was CLEARED at the time after taking a polygraph test[/h]
  • Suzanne Bombardier was murdered in Antioch, Northern California, in 1980
  • Mitchell Bacom, 63, was arrested for her rape and killing shortly after her murder
  • Police said he was a suspect at the time but he was cleared by a polygraph test
  • Investigators cleared Bacom when his polygraph showed 'inconclusive' results
  • He was arrested on Dec 11, 2017, after he was linked to death through DNA
  • Suzanne was babysitting her three young nieces at her sister's apartment when she was taken between 1.30am and 4am on June 21
  • Her body was found in San Joaquin River five days later; she had been stabbed
  • Bacom was jailed for raping & robbing another woman when Suzanne vanished

Attachments

• 4740FEE900000578-5171231-image-a-8_1513098173326.jpg
    4740FEE900000578-5171231-image-a-8_1513098173326.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 395
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5300663/Man-linked-killing-DNA-cleared-polygraph.html
Antioch police announced the charges on Facebook and explained how they were able to make the breakthrough after almost four decades.

'When the biological evidence was originally collected in this case, DNA testing did not exist as a method of determining guilt in our justice system.
In early 2017, the department was notified that a CODIS hit was made tentatively identifying Mitchell Lynn Bacom as the perpetrator,' their statement said.
Bacom had already been incarcerated in 1973 when Suzanne went missing.
A year after her murder, he was arrested again for rape and robbery and was jailed for 24 years.
In 2002, he was arrested again for failing to register as a sex offender.

Just found this thread & would like to know if anyone can get into this court site:
www.cc-courts.org

I have access denied. I see from a Feb., 2018 article that he was arraigned then. Since it's California I'm thinking he has not been tried yet. The only articles that come up is the one in Feb., & the rest are from Dec. 2017.

TIA!

Bumping up for Suzanne!

Can anyone access Contra Costa court site?

TIA! :)

So weird, I can get in but no records found. It asks what year was it filed and Ive tried every year including "1999 and before". Mitchell Bacom?

Yes, his name is Mitchell Lynn Bacom & he is 63, 37 at time of crime. I have in my notes that San Mateo County Sheriff's forensic lab ran the DNA profile. But have Contra Costa as the county where he is. He was arrested on 12/11/17 & arraigned on 2/8/18. That's all I have! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back