FL - Pizza Delivery Driver Stands His Ground During Robbery - Robber Shot, Killed

Darkman00

Reaction score
Would-be robber shot, killed by Domino's pizza driver

By Jerry Hume, Reporter
Last Updated: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 12:48 PM

130824025050_pizza.JPG

Fredrick Kelly Jr. (Brevard County Sheriff's Office / August 24, 2013)

WEST MELBOURNE Florida – Investigators say a Brevard County pizza delivery man took action into his own hands — shooting and killing a would-be robber.

Investigators said Byron Park, a Domino’s employee, had just delivered a pizza to one of the rooms at the Days Inn off US-192 near Interstate 95. Park, 54, went back to his car, sat down and starting counting his money and tip, waiting for his next call for a delivery.

That’s when investigators said 32-year-old Fredrick Kelly Jr. (pictured) approached him with a knife, demanding money and threatening to kill him. Park pulled out his firearm and fired once toward Kelly, who was struck and pronounced dead at the scene.

“Preliminary evidence in the case demonstrates that the intended victim of the robbery acted in self-defense while being robbed by a violent criminal who was armed with a knife,” said Sheriff Wayne Ivey. “The suspect in this investigation was released from prison in 2009, after serving a reduced sentence for similar violent crimes.”

Read more: http://www.cfnews13.com/content/new...icles/cfn/2013/8/24/would_be_robber_shot.html

I'm glad the pizza delivery guy was able to protect himself.

... and unlike GZ he stayed in his vehicle ...which, I am sure, should make MSM quite happy)))

This ought to be an interesting case to watch. Does anyone know what ethnicity the shooter was?

"ethnicity the shooter"

don't know and don't really think it matters

the 54 year old was protecting himself from a robber

This is no doubt causing a flurry of activity at Domino's headquarters.

Much discussion and debate, I am guessing delivery drivers are not supposed to be armed while working, yet he was. Domino's is busy analyzing their bottom line as we speak, and deciding how this could impact sales. I say that but delivery drivers are often prey for criminals and most large Pizza chains share info with each other regarding theft/robberies etc...

Do they support their worker or do they fire him for defending his life? I have spoken with the head Loss Prevention guy at Domino's a few times...maybe I should ask him about this.

This is no doubt causing a flurry of activity at Domino's headquarters.

Much discussion and debate, I am guessing delivery drivers are not supposed to be armed while working, yet he was. Domino's is busy analyzing their bottom line as we speak, and deciding how this could impact sales.

Do they support their worker or do they fire him for defending his life?

Personally, I feel that Florida State law (Stand Your Ground) should prevail and trump anything else. Also, the Domino pizza delivery guy was in his own vehicle, correct?

So when does a corporation think it can overshadow State law with their own Human Resource mumbo-jumbo?

And just a minor thought: If the pizza delivery guy got stabbed and died, would Domino's be paying for his funeral?

Personally, I feel that Florida State law (Stand Your Ground) should prevail and trump anything else. Also, the Domino pizza delivery guy was in his own vehicle, correct?

So when does a corporation think it can overshadow State law with their own Human Resource mumbo-jumbo?

And just a minor thought: If the pizza delivery guy got stabbed and died, would Domino's be paying for his funeral?

Depends on the state. Domino's is headquartered in Michigan so yeah they probably have pretty strict employment laws, and I suspect they will stand behind this driver.

Criminal law and employment laws are two different things depending on the state the company is headquartered in. But I do hope and suspect Domino's will do the right thing here.

I am glad the stand your ground law worked to protect this driver. It sounds as if it is a pretty clear cut case perfectly illustrating the intent behind the law and its proper use.

It was self defense, but unless the knife was pressed to his throat, the pizza driver could have threw the car into reverse. Dominoes may need to train people to never sit with windows down, and never lower them if someone approaches. My husband had things like that happen when he delivered milk to stores in seedy areas, and kicked one backwards out of his truck. That was years ago though.

It was self defense, but unless the knife was pressed to his throat, the pizza driver could have threw the car into reverse. Dominoes may need to train people to never sit with windows down, and never lower them if someone approaches.

Seriously? If someone threatens to kill you with a knife it is your obligation to try and drive back your car away from the threat? Because them threatening to kill you isn't a big deal, just one of those things, so you should be worried about THEIR safety and do your best to keep the situation from escalating when they are threatening to stab you to death?

It was self defense, but unless the knife was pressed to his throat, the pizza driver could have threw the car into reverse. Dominoes may need to train people to never sit with windows down, and never lower them if someone approaches. My husband had things like that happen when he delivered milk to stores in seedy areas, and kicked one backwards out of his truck. That was years ago though.

He doesn't have to attempt to escape thanks to "stand your ground law."

This ought to be an interesting case to watch. Does anyone know what ethnicity the shooter was?

What case? He shouldn't be charged at all if the situation is as described. So there will be nothing to watch.

What case? He shouldn't be charged at all if the situation is as described. So there will be nothing to watch.

Hopefully you're right, and that WILL be the end of it.

cut and dry. They robber should have been shot, but the pizza guy might be fired depending on the companies policy of firearms while working. I'm all for standing your ground when someone is trying to rob you at knife point and the dude was just sitting in his car minding his business

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back