NE NE - Raymond Harris, 20, Omaha, 26 Nov 1971

Odyssey

Verfied Insider Diane Genice Dye
Reaction score
Raymond and his wife of one month, Mary Sudac Harris, told his sister that they would be traveling to her Des Moines, Iowa residence on November 26, 1971. Raymond and Mary lived with Raymond's father at a residence in the 600 block of south 27th Street in Omaha, Nebraska at the time. It has been established that the couple had a stormy relationship with Raymond's father, and Raymond informed his sister that he and his wife planned to move out of his father's home. They never arrived at his sister's home and have not been heard from again. Their vehicle, a green four-door 1970s model Chevrolet, has never been located.

It was snowing heavily in the area the night Raymond and Mary vanished, but searches of the region produced no evidence regarding a possible accident or foul play. Raymond's sister was contacted by his wife's family in 1993, 22 years after the couple had last been seen. They inquired as to Raymond's whereabouts, prompting speculation that Mary's family was aware of his wife's location. This theory has not been confirmed.

It is possible that Raymond and Mary chose to disappear of their own accord due to family problems. No evidence has been discovered to suggest foul play was involved in their cases. Raymond's father is now deceased; he was never considered a suspect in their disappearances, which remain unsolved.

Raymond was mistakenly listed as found in 2005. The information was untrue and he is still missing. Photos and vital statistics for Mary are not available.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/harris_raymond.html

I was just thinking about this case yesterday and wondered if there was a thread for it.

Why did Mary's family asked the Harrises about Ray's whereabouts but not Mary's? Did they really know where she was? And why did they wait 22 years to even ask Ray's family where he was?

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know what the exact family problems were at time. Did Ray always have a poor relationship with his father or did the father just disapprove of Mary? Was Mary pregnant and that was the bone of contention? Were Ray and Mary being freeloaders and the father had a legitimate gripe? Why does Ray apparently use other surnames, including his wife's maiden name?

Very odd case. Why are there no photos and stats for Mary? You can get stats on Mary from the government, right? Also, where were Mary and her family from?

And the police are not questioning Mary? Is the investigation still open?

It's been over a year since anyone posted here, so I did some more checking around.
I found NamUs UP case 2623, who was found in 1984 in Des Moines.
DNA isn't available for the remains, but both have dental and fingerprints, so it's possible this was ruled out a long time ago, but Ray isn't listed on the rule outs. I sent it along anyway.

I got a reply back from NamUs stating they didn't think the two had been compared yet and that they would take a look.

Thumbnail

Demographics
Missing Age20 Years
Current Age68 Years
First NameRaymond
Middle NameDale
Last NameHarris
Nickname/Alias--

SexMale
Height5' 11" (71 Inches)
Weight135 - 170 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactNovember 26, 1971
NamUs Case CreatedDecember 12, 2008
Last Known Location Map
LocationOmaha, Nebraska
CountyDouglas County

Circumstances of DisappearanceRaymond was last seen leaving a family member's residence in the vicinity of the 600 block of S. 27th St. in Omaha, NE. He contacted family to inform them he was leaving Nebraska and was moving to a family member's residence in Des Moines, IA but never arrived. His vehicle is also missing and is described as a green, four door, 1970's model Chevrolet.
Physical Description
Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Deformity
previously fractured leg.

Scar/mark
Scar over right eye, lazy left eye some scarring on face due to chicken pox as a child,

Tattoo
Tattoo of a "dagger" with "snake" on forearm, several other tattoos on body

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
--

Footwear
--

Additional Case Info

Transportation
Chevrolet Unknown

StyleSedan
ColorGreen
State--
License Plate--
Expiration Year--
CommentsThe exact year and model of Raymonds car are unknown. Possibly a 1970 or 1971 model year.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Raymond Dale Harris
This case is so weird... We have so little info about Mary or her family. Authorities appeared to know more about this (I find very odd the 2005 erroneous identification) or they simply handled very badly the case.
Kay (Ray's sister) submitted DNA, but Raymond did not appear on NamUs until years later (Whereabouts still unknown says he was not on NamUs, and the article was published on August, 2013; NamUs case appears as created on December, 2008).
I feel the Mary Sudac lead should be investigated, I believe the key is there. However, the two weddings of a Raymond Dale Harris are also very interesting, as the first one happened on the same day of the disappearance.

Raymond Dale Harris
This case is so weird... We have so little info about Mary or her family. Authorities appeared to know more about this (I find very odd the 2005 erroneous identification) or they simply handled very badly the case.
Kay (Ray's sister) submitted DNA, but Raymond did not appear on NamUs until years later (Whereabouts still unknown says he was not on NamUs, and the article was published on August, 2013; NamUs case appears as created on December, 2008).
I feel the Mary Sudac lead should be investigated, I believe the key is there. However, the two weddings of a Raymond Dale Harris are also very interesting, as the first one happened on the same day of the disappearance.
I'm just curious where you found the wedding information at.

the one thing that
Ashbrook did tell me that no one else bothered is that Mary my brothers
wife, did file for a social security number under the name of Mary Theresa
Harris, in January of 1972

posted by sister of MP

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Misc/misc.legal/2008-01/msg00269.html
Was it verified that it was Mary who filed for the Social Security number? Could someone have fraudulently submitted it in her name? Since Mary's family contacted your family to inquire about Ray, but not Mary, makes me think that they knew her whereabouts. I just wonder if Mary's family was ever interviewed by LE and if so, did they run a check on her social security number.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back