I am no longer receiving e-mail notifications for my subscriptions - please help!

OriginalJerseyGirl

CERTIFIED FLYERS FANATIC!
Reaction score
I have not changed any settings within my computer; I have not edited any options here at WS, yet suddenly I am no longer receiving instant notifications to the threads I've subscribed to. In my options, it says "instant notification". I even viewed the list of my subscriptions, checked each box individually for instant notification, and nothing is working. Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone know how to fix it? :confused:

Did you recently have to log-in one day, as I did? I wonder if that has something to do with it? I'm also curious about why THAT was. WS had been rather slow a day or two before, and I think a thread in this section, which I'm not at all familar with, said Something's Wrong Here. Are we both AOL? Last weekend I noticed nobody seemed to be posting.

I too have made sure Instant Notification is checked in my Options, even Restarted after checking it again just to make sure, and I found that checking everything on the subscription list only lasts while you're on that particular page, evidently has nothing to do with the problem.

That's exactly the problem I had with checking the boxes & it doing nothing. I delete my temporary files but I always do that so I'm positive that that's not the problem. I did have to log in one day after deleting files but I had accidentally deleted the cookie, and was still receiving notifications after that. That was a few weeks ago and this problem seems to have been within the last week.

I am also on AOL. I know they update occasionally as did my firewall recently but that doesn't explain the boxes that we've checked that don't work. I'm so confused!!! I LOVE this site but I can't seem to figure this one out, and keeping up with posts is so difficult without the notifications. :(

Could the recent change to Daylight Saving Time have something to do with the problem? But it never happened before at WS.

Since the problem started, I've changed my Options setting to Eastern time zone, (Michigan) just now, 3:55 am, and clicked Detect Daylight Saving or something like that.

Automatic Updates? Maybe we should check to see if there was one about the time this started. I replaced my firewall with simple Norton Antivirus so I don't think that's it. AOL has recently added an automatic spy scan, but I think it was before this problem started, and no-telling what else they may have added. My Eastern Standard Time in Options had reverted back to an apparent default setting when I checked after you and I started talking.

I hadn't thought about the automatic daylight savings time update but that seems about the time that it started to happen. I can't recall the exact date of when it started because at first, I didn't really notice. Let me know if you find out anything, and I'll let you know if I do. :)

I can't remember either if it was last Sunday or the Sunday before that when we went to DLS time and can't imagine how that would cause this problem, never did before.

Now I'm not getting my notifications from another forum. May have to wait till Monday to contact AOL. This morning I did a Disk Cleanup, Defrag, and Virus Scan.

I'm sure glad I'm not the only one. You know how I mean that. Wouldn't have anyone to discuss it with.

Eagle1 said:
I'm sure glad I'm not the only one. You know how I mean that. Wouldn't have anyone to discuss it with.
Don't worry ... I know exactly what you mean! :) I hope it's not AOL because that'll mean that I'll have to try to fix it myself, and who knows how that might turn out ... I may not even be able to get online after that ... lol!

I dont usually subscribe to any threads, but I went in and set one thread to "subscription". I received email notification anytime someone posted on the thread. This leads me to believe whatever problem you folks are having is most likely connected to AOL.

1. I just noticed, my computer clock is an hour slow, so when I get back from church, probably going to be late, I'll search how to set clock.

2. Clicked on something in the new SpyBot thing AOL added and found a msg board. One guy said he downloaded 3 free programs, Spybot Search & Destroy, which I already have and will try when I come back, Lavasoft AdAware SE Personal, and Spyware Blaster, which PREVENTS spyware rather than removing any.

3. He says a Virus Pkg is part of "Fix It Utilities 5". He updates every Wed. Also cleans out Cookies (which I don't really want to do because I would lose a couple of forums I hardly ever visit and have to go through a lot to get back on) and he erases Temp folder.

In "Temp Internet Files" he erases all subfolders under "Content.IES."

"Then I run AdAware and Spybot", he says. I, Eagle, start with Spybot. It seems to be a lot better than the new AOL Spyware Protection they started in, I think, January, 2005. It's in Add/Remove but when I tried to remove it, there was an error message, something like Can't Find INSTALL.LOG.

I still think this problem is about the time zone having reverted to a default one, instead of Eastern. Don't know what to do about that.

4. One guys says try doing into Internet Explorer PROPERTIES. Click on tabs till you find ratings, reset to allow everything on the slidebars. (Huh?) "Also do not type in a password unless you want one." And one person said at first he or she figured there was a lot of extra traffic because of the Pope's death.

5. You can't have two Virus programs INSTALLED at the same time. Some of the new softwares may include antivirus utilities, and you may not know it. "Might check this before going into more drastic measures."

6. Don't forget to keep a list of whatever you do in case something works, okay? It's hard if not impossible to just remember all the steps. This is at least a start. I know you'll get excited as I would if something works and not forget to post it for me. Some of this stuff I really don't know how to check. I'm running Windows XP, btw, which has System Restore but I just defragged and all that so I hate to go back.

Thanks Tybee and Timex. Yup, I'm sure it's an AOL problem, wondered if anyone else would notice. I'm back and I've just synchronized my pc time, going thru My Computer, Date and Time, way down the list, and checked adjust automatic to DS time. That should do it. Waiting for reply from JersyGirl before I do anything else.

tybee204 said:
AOL may have started blocking it as spam.
It's definitely not a spam issue for me. Nothing is showing up in my spam folder and my personal spam settings aren't very strict.

I did make a change in AOL recently. I somehow got spyware on my computer so after deleting it, I changed all of my passwords, placed a fraud alert on the credit files of all of the people using my computer, and blocked certain types of programs in my AOL settings. But that was on March 25th, and I didn't start having this problem until this last week. So I'm not really sure what's going on. I read all of your posts but I'm not really understanding what I should do next. :confused:

I'm still trying to figure this out. It's been so long since I've received an e-mail from WS that I don't have any old ones remaining anywhere in my mailbox. Can someone tell me the e-mail address from which the notifications come so that I can add it to my address book to see if that helps? Thanks everyone. :)

JerseyGirl said:
I'm still trying to figure this out. It's been so long since I've received an e-mail from WS that I don't have any old ones remaining anywhere in my mailbox. Can someone tell me the e-mail address from which the notifications come so that I can add it to my address book to see if that helps? Thanks everyone. :)

Hi Jersey Girl I fixed my problem I made the mistake of inadvertently putting WS in my block spam folder or it just went there on it's own did a Search and deleted it from the Spam folder.
Here is what comes to inbox: wbsleuth@xmission.com
Hope you can clear up your problemand have a Great DAY! :eek:

SUNNY

Thanks, sunny. :)

I have no idea what's going on. I have WS' address in my address book, it's not on my spam list, it's not in my blocked mail list, and I haven't changed any settings. My firewall updated, but that doesn't affect my mail. EVERYTHING ELSE on my computer seems to be fine.

I really don't think it's an issue with my computer. Like I said, I check the boxes for instant notification, and then click "go", and the page re-opens with all of the boxes unchecked. Nothing at all is happening. I've checked and rechecked everything I can, and it simply doesn't appear that anything is wrong here. But I'm not computer-savvy either so it's entirely possible that I'm just missing something. It's so disappointing that I can't figure this out.

ETA: I did make one change to AOL recently but I believe that that was on March 25, weeks before this problem started. And the only change I made was for their Spy Zapper program to block all TV Media Display (Adware), Gain (Adware), eZula Top Text (Adware), Psybermind (Spyware), Diablo Keys (Spyware - and the type I found on my computer on that date), & Backdoor.Amitis.13 (Malware). (These are as listed in my SpyZapper settings). But like I said, that was easily two weeks or more before this all started so I don't think it has anything to do with it.

It's listed in Add/Remove, but when I tried to just remove it, because I have Spybot, UltraWinCleaner, PC Dr. On Call 2, Norton Anti-Virus, firewall disabled, this error msg says can't find INSTALL.LOG .

I've never used my AddressBook, which seems to have 5 file types, and I'm not that computer-savvy either.

"Is a puzzlement", as Yul Brynner said in "The King and I".

I'm sure we couldn't re-register while keeping our present registration until we see if that works. I did a System Restore all the way back to Mar. 1, because there was an update on the 3rd, and don't know if it would get rid of AOL's SpyZapper if I went back to Jan. 1. Maybe it takes a while for superfulous things to do their work.

I wouldn't want to change my hat/password, but guess those could be changed in Edit Profile later, or would it mess us up again?

My time zone was messed up, and clock didn't adjust for daylight savings. I need to know, please, was yours okay? If so, we both have some other problem. Thanks.

Eagle, I really don't think this is an AOL issue. Like I said, I could be completely wrong but I've done everything I can think of with my AOL settings, and I'm still not getting notifications. My problem started only about a week ago but I've had AOL's SpyZapper on here much longer than that. Besides, like I've said, the WS website itself is not working right for me. When I check the boxes and then click "go", I'm brought right back to the same page with the boxes no longer checked. I wish I had a good computer brain!

LOL! Now when I go to my list of subscribed threads, the first page has "daily" listed next to the threads with boxes that can be checked while the rest of the pages still have "instant". I KNOW that that couldn't possibly have anything to do with my AOL!

JerseyGirl said:
LOL! Now when I go to my list of subscribed threads, the first page has "daily" listed next to the threads with boxes that can be checked while the rest of the pages still have "instant". I KNOW that that couldn't possibly have anything to do with my AOL!

OK Jersey girl, when I was having trouble with getting my notification I changed mine from Instant Notification to Daily and now I am getting my notifications for 2 days now. I think they both have to match daily/daily etc.
Sometimes I found with that the firewalls and the spyware sometimes recognize a message board as spam that might be the problem I wish I was more knowledgeable in this field to help you more. I fixed my problem at last.

Monday, 1:18 pm Eastern Time

I was just starting to check my Norton Antivirus, clicked Auto Protect but did not turn it off, wanted to add Ws to a list I was having trouble finding, so I finally came online and lo and behold, I have a msg about a post in Political Pavilion, Coffee's !

Haven't been able to open my online Address Book, error msg on all five files that I.E. has to know what program created the file, never have used it.

I'll go check now in my Options if "Instant" or "Daily" is checked, and where else there's a matching box. That page with all the subscriptions I guess we could just forget about. It's probably meant to go back to some default setting when we turn the page or whatever. I'm not going to worry about that one.

Editing to say my "Instant" Notification is still checked in WS Options, and the Subscription List "Notification" box is NOT checked, nor any of the individual ones below it. Sure hope this lasts. When I go back to Norton and make things normal again, I'm afraid it may not. Anything happen in yours yet? I'm wondering if Admin did something because I wasn't having any luck at all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back