GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
additional info added based on articles and interviews after the previous timeline

Background: GH and LA had been together since 2007. They have had two sons - one in 2008, the other in Aug 2009 while in the Virgin Islands. LA went stateside in Oct 2009 for medical care for the newborn, GH continued an affair with AS/AP, who operated a local art supply store on on St. John's. When it became clear GH was moving beyond LA into another relationship, LA did not return to the Virgin islands. With no job any longer, and no other source of income - she and the boys were taken in by GH's parents in Kinston, NC - 90 minutes from Raleigh.

LA starts updating and posting her resume in Jan 2010. GH and AS/AP moved from Virgin Islands to Manhatten (NY) in 2010, then to Raleigh in order to contest custody of the boys. In April 2010 GH and AS/AP married in Las Vegas. GH and AH won ex-parte custody of the boys from LA (due to her financial situation, and the fact that GH/AH were married).

LA launched civil action to regain custody of her boys. She moved out of GH's parents, started her own marketing/graphic design company (or franchise), started attending church regularly, enrolled in Lenoir Community College to finish her degree in early childhood education (made the deans list) and diligently worked the legal system to get her boys back.

In Sep 2010 AH (formerly AS/AP) became pregnant. In Dec 2010 a judge ordered both parties to pay a total of $10K each in court costs related to a comprehensive psych eval for the boys. LA paid her share and participated for her part, GH and AH dragged their heels - as of Jul 2011 did not pay the Dr. did not schedule visits to record interaction. By March 2011 GH and AH had closed their art supply business and were liquidating stock. Money (or lack thereof) was apparently becoming an issue. LA was looking forward to an August 2011 hearing which would likely award her primary custody of her boys based on the current situation. AH gave June 9 to baby girl, two days after AH's mother (lived in NM) passed away (June 7) - funeral was in CO.

TUE 7/5:

LA calls her brother JA to "proudly congratulate her brother on opening an auto repair shop in Raleigh and to say she loved him." This is the last time LA and her brother spoke.

MON 7/11:

LA exchanges email with former boyfriend (2005/2006 before GH), tells him about past weekend spent with her boys, excited about the possibility of getting full custody.
GH and AH list an antique on craigslist: Continental walnut Halltree 1880 - $2,000

TUE 7/12:
GH tells a friend during a FB chat that due to the inability to make enough $ in Raleigh performing he intends to give LA full custody of the boys and move with his wife AH and newborn daughter back to the Virgin Islands.

WED 7/13: ***This is the day that RPD says LA was murdered***

(lunch) LH meets with potential clients in Wilson, NC (Paul’s of New York Italian Restauran) - takes rest of her lunch in a to-go box. She tells the two restauranteurs she is meeting with that she was going to see her children that day.

(afternoon) *last time anyone aside from the arrested reported to have spoken to LA* LA speaks with her business partner CM on the phone. meetings went well so far, 2 more clients to meet that day - LA is excited and happy. She tells CM she planned to try to see her boys that evening since she was already in Raleigh.

(evening) LA (presumably) visits with her boys. Afterwards, LA is seen in her 2006 white Ford Focus at 9:30 that night in Raleigh. *the timing of these two events is still not entirely clear, but one source does report she was seen after visiting with her boys and bringing them back to GH apt after taking them out to dinner*

THU 7/14:

AH asks her 22 yr old daughter SE to come by the apt and pick up the children, take them to he (SE's) place to watch them for a few hours - which she did. Also asks SE to bring a vaccum cleaner they could use. At 11:45 AM GH and AH put a living room set for $1,000 on craigslist. At 3:16 Pm GH put this on craigslist: 2 Studio Monitors HSM80 - $450.

CM said she sent LA an email: 'If I don't hear back from you, I am going to the police in the morning.'

FRI 7/15:

(12:55 PM) GH put his macbook on craigslist: 15in Macbook Pro - $1200, the listing was deleted, so appraently the macbook sold.

(6:30 PM) according to Patsy Hayes (GH's mother), GH called her to complain that LA never showed up at the Sheetz in Wilson to pick up the boys for the weekend as is the norm per the current custody arrangements. PH says he was frustrated and the boys were hot. PH says GH asked her to call LA or go see if she was at her residence/office (both LA and PH live in Kinston). *note that this day 7/15 was actually the coolest day of the month and the coolest day since 30 days prior (86 high). The rest of the week was very, very hot...so in hindsight would recall the week as excessively hot but it was not that FRI*

CM (business partner) calls Kinston Police to report LA missing.

SUN 7/17:

GH, AH and the three children set off for AH's sister's in Richmond, TX with a U-Haul trailer and 5 coolers. Prior to departing, they purchase a quantity of coolers, ice, and rent a Uhaul trailer which they attach to their car. This is a 20 hour trip, so its also possible they left Raleigh SAT 7/16.

MON 7/18:

GH and AH arrive in Richmond, TX as AH sister's house. Across the street is Oyster Creek. The two are observed with the coolers at some point(s) on the property.

TUE 7/19:

GH and AH leave Richmond, TX. One cooler would be left by the creek, another somewhere else on the property - GH/AH take 3 back with them.

PH (GH mother) is interviewed by reporters. Gives story about missed Fri pickup, comments that she "would think that" LA loved her boys, and describes the boys as resiliant, doing okay - kids get over those things quicker than adults (*odd comments...note that she probably has not seen them recently as they are still in TX*).

WED 7/20:

(early morning) LA's car found in an apartment parking lot (Summit Manor) half a mile from GH/AH current apartment. The apt lot where the car was found was the old apt where GH and LA used to live. Initial search of car found no evidence of foul play, but the to-go box mentioned above was still in it - which tends to indicate LA had not been in her car since the previous WED.

(3:00 -3:30 PM) A flurry of Police activity at LA's residence/office, witnessed by WS'er say2when, who indicates he saw plainclothes and uniforms, SBI types wearing latex gloves - upwards of 20 LE.

(6:20 PM) GH texts the manager of Mellow Mushroom to cancel his performance for the evening, cites "serious family issues", "mother of my children is missing". GH/AH+kids are presumably on the way back to Raleigh.

(evening) GH and AH apartment neighbors report that RPD is camped out, interviewing neighbors about LA, GH, AH.

THU 7/21 & FRI 7/22:

neighbors report continuous police presence at GH/AH apartments. Police release LA surveillance photos FRI.

SAT 7/23:

RPD detectives arrive in Richmond, TX after discovering GH/AH has visited AH sister there. AH sister's family did not contact LE, according to FBSD "we contacted them" (probably to tell them RPD detective were conming out to have a look).

SUN 7/24:

Property search continues, Ft. Bend Sheriffs Dept assisting, coolers found, Divers scouring Oyster Creek, body parts are being recovered. Machete recovered from an out building.

MON 7/25:

AH and GH arrested at 1:00 AM in Kinston, NC at GH's parents house. Appeared before magistrate, Held without bond. LE continues to search creek for and recover more body parts. FBSD presser: they know AH at least participated in the dumping, they are positive the right suspects were arrested, they do not believe AH's sister's family was aware or involved - though they may have cleaned out some of the coolers.

TUE 7/26:

Remains are positively identified as LA. GH and AH separately arraigned (and separate case #s) by Wake County judge Jacqueline Brewer, ordered held without bond pending 8/15 & 8/16 probable cause hearings, assigned public defender James Freeman. Freeman meets with GH to begin "to work on his defense", Freeman notably does not meet with AH. Becky Holt assigned as prosecutor in the case.

FBSD report 75% of LA remains recovered thus far, DNA testing will conclusively identify the body but they are 99.9% sure its her. RPD detectives still in Texas, more on the way.

THU 7/28:

Raleigh police detectives were making arrangements to have evidence in the case shipped from Richmond to Raleigh according to the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office.
Investigators have also made arrangements with the Galveston County Medical Examiner to conduct the autopsy on Ackerson’s remains.

FRI 8/5:

AH's 22 yr old daughter SE does an interview in Raleigh, says 2 weeks after the baby was born (mid-June) AH stopped calling her to come over, that her mother appeared "numb" over the days following WED 7/13, and her mother AH told her during a jail visit, "Baby, I know I didn't do anything wrong, everything's going to be okay and I just kept the babies safe."

MON 8/15:
Grant Hayes 4:00 PM probable cause hearing.

TUE 8/16:
Amanda Hayes 2:00 PM probable cause hearing.

[article link]

She and my daughter were best friends throughout high school in Iowa.
But that's how Laura was. She trusted even those who did not earn her trust. She was an optimist, always trying to see the good in people.
She loved being a mom.
According to court documents, she was found unfit because she did not have her own place or a job at the time the court ruled on custody.
After all, he was the one who had money, she didn't, so it makes sense that it would take her awhile to get on her feet. This happens to women more often than you would think.​

I really think G is going to testify. That's about the only thing the defense "has" in terms of a defense...similar to Casey Anthony. I mean, why not? All of the evidence points to him and/or Amanda, same as Casey and George. It seems like that is the only thing his lawyers can do or use to create reasonable doubt.

ETA: Not to mention, I think G WANTS to testify, his ego being what it is.

I don't see any defense other than himself either. Plus, once again, that EGO--he thinks he can charm his way through anything. I hope, hope, hope he does testify and I hope Boz Z. whups the you know what out of him :)

Even though I do believe Grant is guilty as sin, they do have a few things to work with. After all, it was Amanda who called Matt about the hitch. It was Amanda who called Sha to borrow the vacuum. It was Amanda who called Sha to pick up the kids. It was Amanda's sister's house in Texas. It was Amanda disposing of the acid. All they have to do is create reasonable doubt.

Also, has the psychologist testified yet or have the reports/interviews been entered into evidence yet (the ones from the custody case)? I seem to recall Boz alluding to that in his opening statement.

ETA: If the defense has half of a brain, they would STOP throwing Laura under the bus and seriously throw Amanda underneath it. That's Grant's only hope. Disparaging the victim of this horrific murder would pi$$ off even the most sympathetic person.

I went back & listened to the last pre trial hearings where they dealt w/ whether or not the defense on cross could try to elicit the statement from KB that AH made to her about hurting LA. Apparently the defense can't call her but can cross her if prosecution calls her. At the pre trial hearing the prosecution said they planned to call KB but it has been stated here that she is not on witness list. There was a discussion by judge Stephens about whether hearsay rules would apply. Also was discussion about whether AH would be available if called. Maybe someone else can go back & listen to these motions & provide a better understanding of it.

A big THANK YOU to the diligent trial watchers who post here and point out many angles that had not occurred to me.

And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE prosecution, enter the Craigslist ads!!! That's vital information!

And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE prosecution, enter the Craigslist ads!!! That's vital information!

Oh Surfie, you are so right about that. I hope the info comes out in the trial, if not, at least in the State's closing argument. The evidence tech testified yesterday that he followed the sold sofa to its new place and didn't find any blood evidence there. So it's been touched on in testimony with respect to their selling off their stuff. But all of it needs to come out.

from Boodles post #987, in previous thread
"... Something about those text messages ("the business day ends in two hours...you're putting me in a *advertiser censored***'d situation...") and agreement are important, IMO.

Maybe he wanted her to call her attorney and say "we figured it out so call off all legal proceedings" to have that on record so GH could claim "no motive b/c we had worked it all out." But that's stupid because they killed her the same day...

Were they maybe trying to make it appear that she didn't care about the kids (see? She gave them away for $25K!) and took off after closing this agreement and (they would have alleged) receiving $25K? That would "explain" her sudden disappearance...." BBM & S...BM

IMO, the killing itself was pre-meditated, albeit rather poorly.
Perhaps Grant realized only after the fact, he needed to significantly delay the discovery of Laura's death,
both to deflect suspicion from him generally and to make the timing of custody agreement appear more 'coincidental.'

IIRC, per Det. Amanda Salmon's testimony, reading aloud in ct. the doc itself, the 6 on the 6/13/11 date on the page was marked out and rewritten as 7.

--- Did Grant write the agreement in June and approach Laura to sign it then, but she refused? Had he planned her death a month earlier? If so, goes to month-long pre-med.

--- Or did Grant write the agreement in July, but backdated it to June, to make the agreement seem to pre-date the death by a month? If so, still pre-med.
If so, Grant should have thought a little harder, because undoubtedly, there were paper, digital, and electronic trails,
such as L's journal entries, emails, IMs, texts, etc. evidencing that between June 13 and July 13 Grant and Laura were still quibbling about custody.

Maybe after the fact, Grant brainstormed the TX road trip toprevent discovery of her remains forever (thinking 'after decomposition, there won't be a body, so LE could never identify her').
And maybe he thought no remains would preclude charges.

Did this OBCG* :floorlaugh:think with this Mastermind of a Plan:floorlaugh:, no worries of being caught?

Thankfully, due to NC and TX LE's fast and thorough work, the prosecutor is not trying a no-body homicide.
Still no cakewalk for the state.

* One Brain Cell Genius

Wow. GH & Laura shared the same birthday.

I didn't realize that. I'm sure that didn't sit well with AH. Knowing that, at some point in time, every year on his birthday, he has no choice but to think of Laura.

From the NC SBI agent's testimony, 2nd trial day. Photo from Laura's apartment.

This is the children's room. Showing the picture of Laura & GH between the children's beds.

Attachments

• 083013.png
    083013.png
    322.4 KB · Views: 69
I went back & listened to the last pre trial hearings where they dealt w/ whether or not the defense on cross could try to elicit the statement from KB that AH made to her about hurting LA. Apparently the defense can't call her but can cross her if prosecution calls her. At the pre trial hearing the prosecution said they planned to call KB but it has been stated here that she is not on witness list. There was a discussion by judge Stephens about whether hearsay rules would apply. Also was discussion about whether AH would be available if called. Maybe someone else can go back & listen to these motions & provide a better understanding of it.

Thanks for this, marilou. If you have a link to those hearings, I would really appreciate it. I couldn't find it.

Do you know the reason that the defense cannot call KB? TIA

From borndem on the previous thread here:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NC -*ARREST MADE* - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kiniston-Raleigh, 13 July 2011 - #2

I have been wondering the same thing! Does she have a public defender or did she hire a lawyer?

I know she has two very good lawyers, one a male, the other a female. I'm thinking the are court appointed but that may not be right. I have no idea how she could pay for a private attorney but who knows.

Here is the April 11 pre trial hearing which is when AH plans on turning against her husband:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12332792/#/vid12332792

The following is from April 22 the motion hearing where the judge states they will be tried separately:

Part 1 - http://www.wral.com/news/video/12366987/#/vid12366987

Part 2 - http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12367845/#/vid12367845n

Hope these help.

Thanks for posting the links! I do not know why they can't call KB. The motion was just about eliciting the statement on cross. Think defense was counting on them calling her as a witness. Think this motion put prosecution on notice of their intent so now prosecution is trying not to call her. IMO

Here is the April 11 pre trial hearing which is when AH plans on turning against her husband:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12332792/#/vid12332792

The following is from April 22 the motion hearing where the judge states they will be tried separately:

Part 1 - http://www.wral.com/news/video/12366987/#/vid12366987

Part 2 - http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12367845/#/vid12367845

Hope these help, Part 1 also shows where AH hires her own lawyer.

Thanks for these links. There are more, recent from a couple of weeks ago, that I will try to find and post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts