GUILTY CT - Diane De Maio, 54, beaten into a coma, Greenwich, 10 Sept 2013

PandaJ

Reaction score
Website
www.courtjunkie.com
I think JVM is going to be covering this tonight.

Battered Greenwich victim in coma

http://www.greenwichtime.com/local/...wich-victim-in-coma-4808617.php#photo-5170359

From link:
"A mother of three and nutritionist from Greenwich who was attacked by her husband with a baseball bat -- six days after petitioning the court for separation -- is clinging to life with multiple skull fractures and swelling of the brain at an undisclosed hospital in the area, Greenwich Time has learned."

So sad. They have three adult children and they've been married for 33 years. I wonder what could have gone so wrong. :(

Poor lady... looking at his pic he looks like an angry person. jmo

It's unclear from the court record whether Michael De Maio, a licensed pilot with several patents for all-weather fluorescent lamps, had a lawyer in the divorce proceedings. Records show that De Maio used his wife's maiden name, Sica, on multiple patent applications instead of his surname.
He should not even be eligible for bail. imo It appears the house is in her name.

Listed solely in the name of Diane De Maio on the deed, the property debuted on the market at $9 million in January 2012, only to be reduced multiple times until it was taken off at $7.3 million, matching its valuation by the town.

baseball bat - brutal and very personal and pre-planned - unless the assault started at a baseball game.
Since the house was in her name -would she of been able to evict him? or would the marriage override that ?
http://www.greenwichtime.com/local/...wich-victim-in-coma-4808617.php#photo-5170359

same link as PandaJ #1 quotes from article

""When police arrived at the couple's 8,326-square-foot home, they found Diane De Maio motionless in a pool of blood in an upstairs closet. An officer tried to put pressure on the large laceration in her skull, but felt it was soft.""
---Was she hiding and cornered or put in there?

"Acquaintances of the couple expressed their utter disbelief at the alleged-- crime of passion,-- which police say the unemployed De Maio, 55, confessed to when they handcuffed him at gunpoint."

--crime of passion --you gotta be kidding me - i can't believe that phrase is still used for domestic violence. All assaults are crimes of passion --its because someone is pissed at you.....jmo moo

He looks angry. Not remorseful.
I wonder if there's been abuse going on in that marriage for a long time?
This article does not say when or why police went to the house.
Wonder if her Mom lived with them and she called, or, if Michael called?
Article does say, that none of the children were at home at the time.
Wonder why he used her maiden name for businesses and on the property? Could be, he had lawsuits that made him want to keep his name off of assets.
Lots of questions.
I hope she survives without permanent damage.
Their children must be in shock.
Very sad.

QUOTE=popsicle;9835422]Poor lady... looking at his pic he looks like an angry person. jmo[/QUOTE]

i have alot of questions also-- but these type of assaults - when in the middle and upper class - seem to go quiet real quick - violence is classless- not a dirty secret jmo

The linked article says that they bought the property in 1995, demolished the existing home and built the new one. It sounds like a crime of passion. The property was in her name, he was out of work and she wanted out of the marriage. Bad timing all round since he would have been at a very low point in his life. No excuse, but definitely a bit like pulling the rug out when someone is barely hanging on.

I think there is a Pandora's box lurking here.

I have a feeling, that Michael De Maio has been leading a peculiar life. I can see Ann Rule all over this one.

Praying that Diane makes a full recovery. Just a for what it's worth, my legal name is Diane, and I was married to a "Michael" for 7 years. My Michael, tried to kill me, after I filed for divorce.
Long story, but, that is where our similarities end. Well, unless we learn that Michael De Maio had a girlfriend/lover.
Wouldn't that be shocking!!???!!!

QUOTE=doubt;9835541]i think the money came from her father. it appears he was the inventor michael f sica.

it also looks like the home originally belonged to the diane's parents.

here are a few links:

http://www.patentbuddy.com/Inventor/Sica-Michael-F/3687024

http://patent.ipexl.com/inventor/Michael_F_Sica_1.html

given the husband had been trying to get patents using his wife's maiden name....and the husband's first name is the same as her father's name was.....kind of hinky, no?[/QUOTE]

He looks angry. Not remorseful.
I wonder if there's been abuse going on in that marriage for a long time?
This article does not say when or why police went to the house.
Wonder if her Mom lived with them and she called, or, if Michael called?
Article does say, that none of the children were at home at the time.
Wonder why he used her maiden name for businesses and on the property? Could be, he had lawsuits that made him want to keep his name off of assets.
Lots of questions.
I hope she survives without permanent damage.
Their children must be in shock.
Very sad.

QUOTE=popsicle;9835422]Poor lady... looking at his pic he looks like an angry person. jmo
[/QUOTE]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rutally-beat-wife-Diane-said-leaving-him.html

In this article they report that Diane's mother was in the house at the time of the attack. Good guess.

"A real estate database search showed that the couple bought the 3.6-acre property for $2.6 million in 1995, only to tear down the existing dwelling and replace it with a 15-room showplace.

The mansion boasts imported marble, an exercise room and sauna, a swimming pool with a spa, an eight-car garage, a 3,611-square-foot finished basement and its own tennis and bocce courts.

Listed solely in the name of Diane De Maio on the deed, the property debuted on the market at $9 million in January 2012, only to be reduced multiple times until it was taken off at $7.3 million, matching its valuation by the town."

http://www.greenwichtime.com/local/article/Battered-Greenwich-victim-in-coma-4808617.php

crime of passion - is not legal wording -is it?
the dude was going to get booted from the house and money- thats not passion thats $$
social standing -male or female - he is no better than any , assault is assault jmo

I have heard of people married for a long time (+20 years) getting divorces. Wonder if they were in the process of divorcing.

crime of passion - is not legal wording -is it?
the dude was going to get booted from the house and money- thats not passion thats $$
social standing -male or female - he is no better than any , assault is assault jmo

crime of passion is sort of legal wording - it's murder two, if proven -- a crime in the heat of passion. Classic example is someone catching their spouse in bed with another person and killing them on the spot. The "passion" is instantaneous and uncontrollable, negating the ability to form the premeditated intent to kill required for a classic murder one charge. jmo

Does anyone believe this is the first time he hit or abused her? Will be interesting to see what the back story is in this case. Jmo

Ciao

I was born n raised in Greenwich, graduated GHS. Lived about 4 miles from this home.... back then there were more houses than mansions. The money originated via Diane Sica-Demaio’s father.. Michael F. Sica, an inventor.. The Company (ABM Industries Incorporated aka SICA Electrical & Maintenance Corp., a New York corporation, and Ozone Lighting Distributors) was the largest U.S.-based facility services contractor listed on the New York Stock Exchange with annual revenues exceeding $1 billion in 1996. Pop & Mom (Gloria) Sica own property in Vegas, NJ, NY…The house/property at 259/261 Round Hill belonged to mom & pop first and was sold to daughter Diane 11/28/1995 . Hubby (also Michael F.) was along for the ride….. Prayers for Ms. Sica-Demaio & her family.

I have heard of people married for a long time (+20 years) getting divorces. Wonder if they were in the process of divorcing.

BBM: Yes, she had filed some divorce papers a week prior to the assault.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back