PA - Scranton diocese priest reassigned 15 times in 25 yrs; arrested with 15 y.o. boy

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/20/justice/pennsylvania-priest-sex-charges/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

The Rev. W. Jeffrey Paulish was charged with one felony count of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and one felony count of unlawful contact with a minor after Dunmore police say they found him and the boy on Thursday in a car on the Worthington Scranton campus of Penn State University, according to the complaint.

Paulish, 56, of Scranton, was also charged with three misdemeanor counts -- indecent contact with a person under 16, indecent exposure and corruption of a minor. He is being held at the Lackawanna County jail on $50,000 bail.

More at link.....

Priest accused of sex with minor moved often, once counseled troubled youths. (thetimes-tribune.com)

The Rev. William Jeffery Paulish, 56, who was charged with having sex with a 15-year-old boy, was reassigned 15 times by the Diocese of Scranton over a 25-year ministry that grew out of a career counseling troubled youths.
---
The Rev. Paulish was caught by Penn State Worthington Scranton security in his red 2009 Toyota Venza with a 15-year-old Thursday night. The boy did not have pants on and both later admitted to performing sex acts, police said.
---
The diocese did not respond to an emailed request to explain why the Rev. Paulish was moved so frequently, and the reason for the unexplained leave.
---
Penn State Worthington Scranton security guards thought the car suspicious when they saw it Thursday.
---
When police arrived, they discovered the teen was not wearing pants. At first, the Rev. Paulish claimed he had been meandering around the campus, stuck on a homily he was crafting. He met the boy by chance and tried to counsel him, as he was in emotional distress, he explained.
---
At Dunmore police headquarters later Thursday night, the Rev. Paulish changed his story.

He admitted posting an online advertisement in the "Casual Encounters" section of Craigslist looking for companionship, police said.
---
much more - lengthy article, with list of various moves diocese has made with Rev. Paulish - at link above

What a shame that he, obviously a very sicko man, was allowed to remain in the priesthood until he fell so low. Surely someone in the church leadership knew that he was no priest.

Were there more victims? Methinks that we're about to find out.

I wish we knew what his Craigslist ad said. Because you know, there's more than enough adults out there willing to get their freak on for anonymous sex via CL ads... So I will not be buying it if he tries to say he's not a pedo.

Also looking forward to learning why he was reassigned so many times. :waiting:

Another thing that pisses me off about this... Catholic priests don't just sign up and are sent a certificate and boom! They're a priest now. IIRC they have to have at least about 6 yrs of college, at least in the US. So somewhere along the way this guy has taken some kind of psych, sociology, something, where he would have learned that teens involved in the sex trade are some of the most vulnerable in society. It's not adults deciding to engage in this activity. These teens are already vulnerable, many have already been victimized, and he KNEW IT... And went ahead anyway. And victimized again.

:furious:

I wish we knew what his Craigslist ad said. Because you know, there's more than enough adults out there willing to get their freak on for anonymous sex via CL ads... So I will not be buying it if he tries to say he's not a pedo.

Also looking forward to learning why he was reassigned so many times. :waiting:

The ad would shed much light that's for sure. "Father" said he asked the kid three times if he was 18 years old. Ain't that swell?

Meanwhile there's a list of all the Parishes he worked at at link and lemme just say quite a few leave of abscences.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/local/848582/

Filly may be old, but am I missing that he worked as the head of counseling at Lourdemont for troubled youth? That was waaaaaay back in '83. SNAP is calling for anyone that worked with this man or knows him personally or saw anything offhand to please come forward. There's also an Occupy The Vatican Facebook that mentions this.

Sorry for the tangent, but of course I guess it would be your first reaction to lie to the police if you are caught commiting a crime. Even a Priest will lie I suppose. You just get five Hail Mary's for that. However, how you gonna say you're working on your da*n homily when you have a young boy sans pants in your car? Like, how does that work? You just happened to bump into the kid and got him in your car and then?

Lord, please watch over this poor kid who at the age of 15 is on CL looking for sexual encounters. Please care for those who have been hurt by "Father" Paul. Saving the prayers for this Priest because obviously he's got enough going up for him.

Sooooo, I'm currently looking through the Scranton CL "casual encounters" postings just prior to the 19th (which is when I think he was arrested). TONS of older dudes looking for sex. Like older as in "no way to possibly be underage". As in 30+. "Father" could have had plenty of legal sex had he wanted to. Apparently there are lots of lonely, horny, middle aged men out there lol.

Haven't figured out which of the posts are him.

I like that "father" says he asked three times if the teen was 18. You know what Padre? If you have to ask three times, he's TOO YOUNG, and you KNEW IT.

Omg and the "working on the homily" thing just slays me. I always work on speeches without pants, and with a partner. In a car. On a random campus. Doesn't everyone?! :scared: :rolleyes:

Oh holy moley... Don't wade into the comments beneath that Times-Leader article. There's ten minutes of my life I will never get back. Victim blaming, gay-blaming, etc etc. :banghead:

Oh holy moley... Don't wade into the comments beneath that Times-Leader article. There's ten minutes of my life I will never get back. Victim blaming, gay-blaming, etc etc. :banghead:

And we wonder why victims are afraid to come forward.

I shoulda taken your advice instead of reading through that ugly parade of homophobia. :banghead:

I can only warn people, lol. :innocent: but yeah, it was all pretty damn ugly. :help:

The "reassigned by diocese 15 times in 25 years" seems to be the larger story here.

Wonder how long it will be before we hear the reason for all those leaves of absence... :rolleyes:

They've been doing the priest shuffling so long now. Apparently down in this diocese they missed the big blow up over it in 2000-2003? Or the one before that in the early 90s or so? I mean, even before the shuffling became news, we all knew they did it. "Oh, they moved father so and so to XYZ parish. Guess he was perving on some kids". :eek: I totally remember talking about this in junior and senior high school, and that was 80s and early 90s. Weird how we just "accepted" perverts. Like "old man so and so down the road likes to grab arses/*advertiser censored*/whatever, watch out for him". Accepted as a fact of life, like snow storms, or car accidents, or whatever. Makes me wonder what the hell the adults were doing that they couldn't, you know, do something about all the pervs we kids knew and warned each other about. :banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back