Military 'jargon'

Holdontoyourhat

Former Member
Reaction score
The ransom note has many terms that seem out of place in a ransom note. Instead, they sound like military jargon:

Listen carefully, [men]!
foreign faction
'immediate' execution
[tomorrow] will be exhausting so I advise you to be rested (huh?)
countermeasures and tactics
Its up to you now, [men]!
Victory!

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=JARGON

Holdontoyourhat said:
The ransom note has many terms that seem out of place in a ransom note. Instead, they sound like military jargon:

Listen carefully, [men]!
foreign faction
'immediate' execution
Victory!

I think most of the terms used in the ransom note sound naive and child-like.

the note seems to be made up of phrases from movies particularly "dirty harry".
also obviously some things pertaining to the family.
also the placement of the note on the steps, was apparently a family thing, for collection etc.

lawman

IMO, this ransom note appears to satisfy primary standards for military briefings. Those standards are documented, and the note could be 'graded' for compliance to those standards. The standards include:
  • Practicing, and making rough drafts.
  • An attention-getting remark at the beginning of the briefing (Listen carefully!), followed by a clear introduction of the speaker and the group to which the speaker belongs (We are a group of individuals that represent a small foreign faction)
  • A brief, concise statement of the purpose for the briefing (At this time we have your daughter in our possession).
  • Active voice-verbs (If you alert bank authorities...)
  • Continuous flow of short, clear, easily understood sentences with smooth transitions.
  • An unambiguous ending (It is up to you now. Victory!)
Here's a more complete list of military jargon contained in the ransom note:
  • foreign faction
  • country that it serves
  • If we monitor you
  • attache
  • Any deviation of my instructions will result
  • immediate execution
  • remains for proper burial
  • your situation
  • electronic devices
  • countermeasures and tactics
  • follow our instructions to the letter
  • Don't try to grow a brain
  • don't think that killing will be difficult
  • do not underestimate us
  • Use that common sense of yours
  • It is up to you now
  • Victory!
So the ransom note contains a ton of military jargon AND it is in the format of a military briefing.

The fact that the note begins "Listen carefully!" and ends "Victory!" indicates it was composed using a format designed for listeners, not readers.

Children? Not hardly.

Holdontoyourhat said:

Listen carefully, [men]!
foreign faction
'immediate' execution
Victory!

there is nothing military about the note. I think you are associating it more with "spy vs spy" language, not military language.

its length and stupidity are either a diversionary tactic (i think you should have stuck with that idea) or, well, just a sign of someone very naive.

But it's not spy vs spy, or my favorite Filipino ninja troupe, god bless them, or al-Qaeda.

Don't miss the 'standard military briefing' post above, Guru.

IMO, the note is written by a middle-aged mentally disturbed person with a military background, based on the content of the note.

I'm still going with the note being a delay tactic more than anything else.

There is nothing to indicate any children were involved with the writing of the note. Its too flamboyant, arrogant, and power-wielding. The 'fat cat' and 'attache' term should tell you the age is at least 50.

Holdontoyourhat said:

Listen carefully, [men]!
foreign faction
'immediate' execution
Victory!

There is no military "jargon" whatsoever!!
Maybe if the note contained things like....

PCS
ETS
40 Kilcks
SWC
BHA
Seperate Rats
T-Rats
MRE

Id think you were on to something!
:cool:
Seriously what civilans think sounds "military" is usually cheesy,childish and "Hollywood".
My husband is a former Marine who is now career Army and I dont get where/how you think theres anything "military-ish" in the note.

And anyway if you're going with the "intruder" theory remember John Ramsey has military expirence

Holdontoyourhat,

I agree the note's outline roughly follows that of a typical military briefing, but the jargon is not military.

For instance, in the military I remember being put through what we called "charm school". In it you learn how to open up a briefing with something interesting, such as a startling fact, or a funny story, etc. In the Ramsey ransom note the term "Listen carefully!" might qualify as such. But the WORDING in the ransom note doesn't seem military; it seems juvenile to me.

No military jargon here...I was in the Air Force. My son was in the Navy...Intelligence and he did not use that kind of language except countermeasures.

It is well known that the Ramseys loved watching movies. They had over 200 videos in the home as well as a large movie screen in the master bedroom. Patsy claims that John and Burke would go rent videos so it is safe to say that they were movie buffs.

The language used in the ransom note belongs to Patsy. The ransom note is written by someone who had seen the popular movie of 1996..."THE USUAL SUSPECTS".

messiecake said:
There is no military "jargon" whatsoever!!
Maybe if the note contained things like....

PCS
ETS
40 Kilcks
SWC
BHA
Seperate Rats
T-Rats
MRE

Id think you were on to something!
:cool:
Seriously what civilans think sounds "military" is usually cheesy,childish and "Hollywood".
My husband is a former Marine who is now career Army and I dont get where/how you think theres anything "military-ish" in the note.

And anyway if you're going with the "intruder" theory remember John Ramsey has military expirence
I stand corrected, there is no military jargon whatsoever. No U.S. military jargon, anyway.

Are there other military jargons besides ours, or does the whole world use U.S. military jargon?

Holdontoyourhat said:
I stand corrected, there is no military jargon whatsoever. No U.S. military jargon, anyway.

Are there other military jargons besides ours, or does the whole world use U.S. military jargon?

For the most part Yes all ENGLISH speaking militaries do but that has to do with us getting alot our jargon from them(Ex:A US military term is "pogue" and its an Irish word)

My husband is involved in an American/Irish/English/Austrailian military community and 90% of the speak is similar Id say.

Watch "The Usual Suspects".Like Toltec said its quite similar to the note(plus its an awesome movie!!)

messiecake said:
For the most part Yes all ENGLISH speaking militaries do but that has to do with us getting alot our jargon from them(Ex:A US military term is "pogue" and its an Irish word)

My husband is involved in an American/Irish/English/Austrailian military community and 90% of the speak is similar Id say.

Watch "The Usual Suspects".Like Toltec said its quite similar to the note(plus its an awesome movie!!)
I am not thinking military in terms of English speaking. IOW, beheading and immediate execution aren't your typical English military jargon

FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt said that the note's "revolutionary connotations hark back to foreign powers." IMO, the ransom note expresses, in English, the military jargon of a foreign revolutionary.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back