GUILTY NH - Two cyclists killed, 2 injured by DUI driver, Hampton, 21 Sept 2013

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...sts-hampton/0NBzkuLTn7EZbo8XrmhM3H/story.html

Two Massachusetts bicyclists were killed and two others injured when a car veered into the path of a two-day bike ride in Hampton, N.H., Saturday morning, police said.

Darriean Hess, 20 of Seabrook, N.H., was driving south across the Neil R. Underwood Memorial Bridge on Route 1A, also Ocean Boulevard, when the car she was driving crossed into the northbound lane, police said in a statement. According to police, Hess struck four bicyclists participating in the Tri-State Seacoast Century ride around 8:30 a.m. -

No charges as yet or info on why she crossed into the opposite lane...

Two Bikers Killed by Vehicle During Hampton Race
Five individuals were hurt after being struck by a car on the Neil R. Underwood Memorial Bridge.

Posted by Kyle Stucker (Editor) , September 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM

PHOTO: This is what the bridge looked like roughly 15 minutes before the accident. [CREDIT: Lori Hartung]

Killed two, injured three others. Unbelievable!!! A bright sunny morning, you can see for miles. I am willing to bet the driver of the car was 'texting' while driving and possibly exceeding the speed limit.

http://hampton-northhampton.patch.c...yclists-killed-by-vehicle-during-hampton-race

Two Cyclists Killed

The Daily Mail has picked up on the story with tons of photos!

"The cyclists had been taking part in the 40th annual Granite State Wheelman Tri-State Seacoast Century Ride when Hess crossed over from the southbound lane to the northbound lane.

After striking the cyclists, deputy police chief Rich Sawyer said Hess' vehicle 'road along' various structures, curbing and sidewalk on the bridge for a distance' before it 'popped back onto the road' and crossed back over to the southbound lane, hitting several road signs.

The vehicle came to a stop after it 'decimated the Welcome to Seabrook Beach sign, Sawyer told the Hampton-Northampton Patch."

Much more...

Driver who killed cyclists had no license

Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Associated Press
Boston Herald

"HAMPTON, N.H. — Police said the driver in a crash that killed two cyclists in New Hampshire did not have a license and had been stopped hours earlier for speeding.

Hampton Deputy Police Chief Richard Sawyer told the Portsmouth Herald 20-year-old Darriean Hess of Seabrook was stopped at 12:46 a.m. Saturday for speeding in the same area where the crash happened eight hours later.

He says she didn’t have a license. She was ticketed and ordered to wait for a friend to drive her car away."

More...

The video shows a brief interview with her sister who's home she was supposedly headed to when she hit the cyclists. It also points out that when she was stopped earlier that morning, she was going 59 MPH in a 30 MPH zone.

Someone in comments said the driver was trying to pass one of the cyclists.

O.K., here is the thing... you can't do that. You have to be patient. They're on a bicycle for crying out loud. It can be annoying to be patient, but it's a person's life. You just have to wait until you can carefully and safely get past. But, then I have a driver's license.

(I mean 'you' in general terms, I'm not referring to anyone specifically. Well, maybe this driver.)

Darriean Hess Pulled Over Hours Before Fatal Crash

Darriean Hess, 20, of Seabrook, struck and killed two bicyclists in Hampton Saturday, authorities said.
Posted by Jason Claffey (Editor) , September 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Exeter Patch

"Hess, 20, of Seabrook, was pulled over after doing 59 mph in a 30-mph zone while crossing the Neil R. Underwood Memorial Bridge in Hampton Saturday at about 12:45 a.m., according to Hampton Deputy Police Chief Rich Sawyer.

Hess initially told the officer who stopped her that she didn't have her license on her, but later told the officer that she didn't actually have a license, according to Sawyer."

"Sawyer said it was unclear why Hess veered into the group. He said an investigation was ongoing. As of Monday, no charges had been filed.

"There are developments," Sawyer said Monday."

More...

Someone in comments said the driver was trying to pass one of the cyclists.

O.K., here is the thing... you can't do that. You have to be patient. They're on a bicycle for crying out loud. It can be annoying to be patient, but it's a person's life. You just have to wait until you can carefully and safely get past. But, then I have a driver's license.

(I mean 'you' in general terms, I'm not referring to anyone specifically. Well, maybe this driver.)
But she was going in the opposite direction of the bicyclists, she crossed over the middle line and crashed into them.

But she was going in the opposite direction of the bicyclists, she crossed over the middle line and crashed into them.

Hm...o.k. I guess that comment was wrong.

They should check to see if she was texting around the time of crash.Crossing center lane can be sleepy, drunk or texting. I assume she took a breathilizer and considering her young age,I am thinking texting.

Hm...o.k. I guess that comment was wrong.

12th comment down by LP... says her son witnessed the accident. He was the first car in the line of traffic coming the opposite way and it appeared she was trying to pass the vehicles in front of her. jmo

Oh my gosh! What a menace on the road that girl is :( How absolutely horrible.

We had a hit and run (pedestrian) on my route this past month :( I actually drove by the poor man after he was hit (in the tall grass, apparently) on my way to an appointment right before the police came. I know the time because it was an appointment. I didn't see a thing, and that makes you think.

They haven't caught whoever did ours. It weighs on my mind :( Drunk driver or texter was my best guess, but people do pass people like idiots on our roads right here. Oh, it makes me sick to think about.

It gets worse:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130926-NEWS-309260403

...Hampton police said they arrested Cindy Sheppard, 48, of Hampton, and charged her with providing drugs to Hess early on the morning of the crash Saturday. She is also alleged to have allowed Hess to drive without a license....

Police said that some time after 1:30 in the morning on Saturday, Sheppard supplied Hess with narcotics and later, shortly after 8 a.m., allowed Hess to drive a 2002 Honda, even though she knew she did not have a driver’s license.

Sheppard is being held on $10,000 bail and is scheduled to be arraigned in Seabrook, N.H., on Thursday, police said...

- See more at: http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...KJoLfasp5Cn4M/story.html#sthash.2Dl4bT5e.dpuf

They actually changed the article after I first read it and copied the link. The original article had an officer saying that it was absolutely possible that Hess failed her drug test (my paraphrasing) and the article also said that this 2nd lady was known to have sold heroin, cocaine, oxy and pot. Maybe more. That's from memory.

eta:
Here's that link, in case I just goofed:
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130926-NEWS-309260403

Oh, I did! It's 2 articles about this new lady. Sorry.

Sad for the women who died. She could of killed a lot more people. That area can be busy, she could of drove off on to side walks. Looks like she will be getting some time in jail.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...KJoLfasp5Cn4M/story.html#sthash.2Dl4bT5e.dpuf

Hess, who was driving without a license and was stopped for speeding just hours before the accident in virtually the same location, showed little emotion during the hearing, which was conducted via video conference from the county jail.

So she was stopped for speeding hours earlier. Why was she still driving? Do they just send you on your way when you are stopped for speeding and have no license?

So she was stopped for speeding hours earlier. Why was she still driving? Do they just send you on your way when you are stopped for speeding and have no license?

No, she was supposed to have someone come and get her. Which she didn't do. It's probably a bit much to ask a cop to wait around for her friend, but perhaps they could have driven her to the police station and have her wait there?

She's still the one who is 100% guilty for ignoring instructions and getting back behind the wheel, though. Not to mention the narcotics...

Her friend did come get her after she was first stopped and ticketed at 12:45 am in the morning hours. The officer did not allow her to drive the car away. The friend who came to get her was her alleged drug supplier, Cindy Sheppard. The friend drove Hess and the Honda to her place at 51 Ocean Blvd. The same house Sheppard was arrested at in June for being a major drug dealer in the area

At 8:30ish in the morning, Hess got back in the Honda and back on the bridge to presumably go to her own home in Seabrook. And, Sheppard is charged with knowingly allowing her to do so.

I have a feeling there will be another person charged in this case as well, and that would be the person who actually owns the Honda, assuming Hess didn't steal it. And, assuming Hess herself doesn't own it. This is really nasty and messy. In addition to whatever criminal charges are filed, the civil lawsuits will be unending.

Her friend did come get her after she was first stopped and ticketed at 1:30ish in the morning hours. The officer did not allow her to drive the car away. The friend who came to get her was her alleged drug supplier, Cindy Sheppard. The friend drove the Honda to her place just over the bridge on Ocean Blvd. The same place Sheppard was arrested at in June for being a major drug dealer in the area.

At 8:30ish in the morning, Hess got back in the Honda and back on the bridge to presumably go to her own home in Seabrook. And, Sheppard is charged with knowingly allowing her to do so.

I have a feeling there will be another person charged in this case as well, and that would be the person who actually owns the Honda, assuming Hess didn't steal it. And, assuming Hess herself doesn't own it. This is really nasty and messy. In addition to whatever criminal charges are filed, the civil lawsuits will be unending.

Thank you, ibnora, for clearing that up. I also wondered who owned the Honda. Ask, and ye shall receive!

http://www.necn.com/09/26/13/3rd-suspect-arrested-in-Hampton-NH-crash/landing.html?blockID=853583&feedID=11106

Third suspect facing charges, owner of the Honda, who let Hess drive it even though he knew she didn't have a license.

Okay, so just as I was privately guessing that it would be her fiancé who owns the car, here he is. He was in Court with her family on Wednesday but did not speak to reporters outside.

"Scott Martin, Darriean Hess' fiancé, left, and Cassandra Clifton, Hess' sister, watch a video screen as Darriean Hess, is arraigned via video in Seabrook, N.H. Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2013."

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...person-charged-in-nh-crash.html#storylink=cpy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbisme
Back