GUILTY FL - Lazaro Figueroa, 3, beaten to death, Miami-Dade County, 31 Oct 1990

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Miami-Dade County prosecutors on Monday dropped jailhouse informant Robin Lunceford as a witness in the retrial of the ''Baby Lollipops'' murder case --

Assistant State Attorney Susan Dannelly told a judge she would not ask Lunceford to testify against accused killer Ana Maria Cardona after Lunceford left phone messages with the prosecutor saying she now refused to cooperate -- an attitude Lunceford echoed in interviews with The Herald last week.

In the past few months, Lunceford -- a robbery suspect in jail since May -- has offered police and prosecutors information about Cardona and three other murder defendants she met while in custody.

But Lunceford told The Herald that she plans to testify only against Geralyn Graham, the caregiver accused of killing missing foster child Rilya Wilson four years ago. Lunceford has said that Graham told her about smothering the child while Graham was serving time on fraud charges.

Lunceford told The Herald that Dannelly offered her a plea bargain in exchange for her assistance in the Cardona case -- a claim Dannelly denied.

Nevertheless, the conflict has damaged Lunceford's value to prosecutors as a witness in the Cardona case.

''It became apparent to me that Ms. Lunceford had her own agenda,'' Dannelly told Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Daryl Trawick.

Cardona, 43, faces the death penalty for the 1990 beating death of her 3-year-old son, Lazaro Figueroa, whose body was found dumped on a Miami Beach road wearing a T-shirt patterned with lollipops. A jury sentenced Cardona to death in 1992, but the Florida Supreme Court overturned her conviction 10 years later, saying prosecutors failed to turn over crucial information to the defense.

Lunceford has been placed in an isolated cell since she was revealed as the key witness in the Rilya Wilson case last month. She says she's been mistreated by corrections officers, and she's threatening to sue both the jail and the state attorney's office for ``putting my life in danger.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/11428849.htm

this is why it's bad to depend on lying snitches for convictions

Ana Maria Cardona will once again go on trial for the 1990 slaying of her baby son, who was initially called Baby Lollipops by police.

Two decades later, the details of the Baby Lollipops murder may be fuzzy in the public consciousness but his nickname still evokes memories of sheer brutality and a life doomed from birth.

On Monday, the public and 12 jurors will once again hear the details of his short life when Ana Maria Cardona, once sentenced to die for murdering her baby son, will stand trial yet again in a Miami-Dade courtroom.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/...-begin-in.html?mitest=A_default#ixzz0qqnRYwua

Thank you, daisy7, for updating this story. The details of this case are horrific.
This poor little boy must have suffered in the worst way. I pray that justice will be swift and certain.

Perhaps a new thread can be started in the "awaiting trial" forum.

Retrial of mother accused in torture-murder of 3-yr. old son begins today.
Her previous conviction and death sentence were overturned.

MIAMI (CBS4) - Opening statements got underway Monday in the retrial
of a Miami Beach woman once sentenced to death for allegedly torturing and killing her 3-year-old son a decade ago.

In 1990, Ana Maria Cardona and her former girlfriend Olivia Gonzalez-Mendoza were charged in the death of Cardona's son Lazaro. Prosecutors say the pair beat Lazaro to death with a baseball bat and then dumped his body.

Police nicknamed the boy "Baby Lollipops" because when his body was found is was wearing a shirt with lollipop pictures on it.

http://cbs4.com/local/child.abuse.baby.2.1749895.html

It's a shame there isn't a quicker turnaround on carrying out death sentences. She should have been put down long ago and burning in HE*L for years now.

What a waste of skin.

http://cbs4.com/local/child.abuse.baby.2.1785985.html

MIAMI (CBS4) The fate of a woman once found guilty of murdering her 3-year-old son could be in the hands of a jury soon. The defense rested its case Friday in the so-called "Baby Lollipops" re-trial.

Ana Maria Cardona is accused of killing her 3-year-old son with a baseball bat and then leaving his body in some bushes in Miami Beach. Police nicknamed the boy "Baby Lollipops" because the shirt he was found in had lollipops on it.

MIAMI -- A jury reached a verdict Friday morning in the retrial of a woman accused of killing her 3-year-old son 20 years ago.

Eighteen years after her first conviction, a second jury has found Ana Maria Cardona guilty of first-degree murder. She also was found guilty of aggravated child abuse.

http://www.justnews.com/news/24197740/detail.html

Ok now, that's enough of her!

The juxtaposition of such a happy childhood thing like lollipops with the horror that baby went through makes this that much more of a haunting case.

Why would a person do this to a child? I will never understand.

The juxtaposition of such a happy childhood thing like lollipops with the horror that baby went through makes this that much more of a haunting case.

Why would a person do this to a child? I will never understand.
Oh duck, you can't imagine the horror this case struck down here when it happened "way back when". I remember all the reports. How this poor baby was found in the bushes. Seeing that now famous picture of him and the lollipops shirt.

Glad nothing has changed and she was found guilty yet AGAIN (BTW how much did this cost us?)

This was a cold, cruel, evil crime. May that poor baby RIP.

Oh duck, you can't imagine the horror this case struck down here when it happened "way back when". I remember all the reports. How this poor baby was found in the bushes. Seeing that now famous picture of him and the lollipops shirt.

Glad nothing has changed and she was found guilty yet AGAIN (BTW how much did this cost us?)

This was a cold, cruel, evil crime. May that poor baby RIP.

He was found on Miami Beach, I wish I knew what street. My father was still on the fire department when this happened. It horrified the entire area code.

He was found on Miami Beach, I wish I knew what street. My father was still on the fire department when this happened. It horrified the entire area code.
Not sure what street - but I do remember it being a somewhat "affulent" section (not Liberty City) - possibly by Biscayne. I remember they talked about the "groomed" bushes and such. Wasn't it a landscaper (or city worker) that found him?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/13/1679162/moms-murder-retrial-to-begin-in.html

The boy's real name was Lazaro Figueroa, 3-years-old. He wore a lollipop-adorned T-shirt when his badly beaten, emaciated corpse was found, November 2, 1990, in a bed of leaves next to a bayfront Miami Beach house along North Bay Road.

Not sure what street - but I do remember it being a somewhat "affulent" section (not Liberty City) - possibly by Biscayne. I remember they talked about the "groomed" bushes and such. Wasn't it a landscaper (or city worker) that found him?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/13/1679162/moms-murder-retrial-to-begin-in.html

The Baby Lollipops case riveted Miami since the day a Florida Power & Light Co. crew found his body. For weeks, Miami Beach detectives tried to identify the boy and find his parents.

Finally, detectives found Cardona and Gonzalez hiding in the Orlando area, and their story unraveled.

Cardona -- nicknamed Canela, or Cinnamon -- had come to Miami during the 1980 Mariel boatlift. Investigators believe she had been imprisoned in Cuba.

Here, she maintained at least three aliases, was the chief suspect in the shooting of a Miami bar owner and was a practitioner of the Cuban Santería religion, police believed. Lazaro's father was Fidel ``Papito'' Figueroa, a drug dealer gunned down in his Mercedes-Benz just weeks before his son's birth.

Cardona had already come to the attention of state child-welfare investigators when she left her two older children with a baby sitter, then disappeared for three months. The Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services, however, lost track of the family until after Lazaro's death.

During the trial in 1992, 54 witnesses painted a bleak picture of Cardona's cocaine-fueled party lifestyle with her lover Gonzalez, bouncing from motel to motel and finally to a Miami efficiency.

On the stand, Gonzalez claimed Cardona beat the child with a baseball bat, sticks and belts, and would poke his eyes, smash dinner plates over his head and rub feces in his face. Cardona called Lazaro ``El Diablo,'' or The Devil, she said.

It's a shame there isn't a quicker turnaround on carrying out death sentences. She should have been put down long ago and burning in HE*L for years now.

What a waste of skin.

I wish all politicians could come to this conclusion, and legislate accordingly.

The "Thanks" button somehow didn't feel as if it were enough for me.

MIAMI -- A jury reached a verdict Friday morning in the retrial of a woman accused of killing her 3-year-old son 20 years ago.

Eighteen years after her first conviction, a second jury has found Ana Maria Cardona guilty of first-degree murder. She also was found guilty of aggravated child abuse.

http://www.justnews.com/news/24197740/detail.html

Ok now, that's enough of her!

Exactly!! Like my Grandmother used to say...'Good riddance to bad rubbish!"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member