Unidentified Male
Date of Discovery: May 7, 1972
Location of Discovery: Daytona, Volusia County, Florida
Estimated Date of Death: May 3, 1972
State of Remains: Decomposed
Cause of Death: Homicide

Physical Description
** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 15-21 years old (est. date of birth 1952-1959)
Race: White
Height: 5'5" to 5'7"
Weight: 110-120 lbs.
Hair Color: Unstated color but described as moderately wavy.
Eye Color: Unknown

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Shaved pubic region.

Dentals: Not available. All 32 teeth were in near perfect condition.
Fingerprints: Available.
DNA: Not available.
Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Maroon and white short sleeved pullover knit shirt, denim jacket (sleeve length 32), purple and gray tweed pants, and one black loafer with a chrome buckle.

Jewelry: None.

Additional Personal Items: Black wallet with paint flecks on it.

Case History

The decomposed remains of a homicide victim were located near a pond off of Indian Lake Road in Daytona Beach. His body showed signs of violent trauma.

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of October 22, 2022>

Attachments

• 2128umfl.jpg
    2128umfl.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 988
Last edited by a moderator:
Several observations about this:
1. Shaved pubic area. Would it have been common for a young guy in the early 70s to "manscape"? Could he have been working as a male prostitute? Maybe somebody who picked him up killed him.
2. Purple and gray tweed pants. I was a young child in the 70s but I remember people wearing some funky colored clothes. Would this be something a man would wear?
3. Paint on the wallet. Maybe he worked with a painting company or had been working with a painting crew and being paid under the table if he was only 15/underage.
None of this really helps us to figure out who he was, but these were some things that kind of stood out to me.

Oh, and another:

4. All 32 teeth seem to have been well cared for, or else because of his age he didn't have any dental problems yet, or he just had good genetics. On one side of my family they all have a mouth full of fillings but on the other side nobody gets cavities, even in their senior years. Something genetic I guess.

This one caught my eye because of the odd sketch and the shaved pubic region. I had the same thought as you: that he was possibly a male prostitute. It sounds like he died a violent death. There's not much to go on, but if I had to guess, I'd say maybe he was a runaway who was trying to support himself and got picked up by the wrong person.

Not a lot of teen boys listed from that time period. Here are a few. I wish we had more info on both them and the UID:

1270DMPA - Anthony Peter Tumolo

4429DMNY - Thomas Allen Meuse

This John Doe is being exhumed in an effort to identify him and solve his murder...

Posted: 5:05 p.m. Monday, Nov. 18, 2013

Technology could help solve 1970s Volusia cold case

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla.

There are renewed efforts to solve a Volusia County cold case that dates back to the 1970s Monday.

For the first time in 15 years investigators are exhuming a body.

That unknown man was found in a pond near Indian Lake Road in Daytona Beach.

Investigators hope new evidence will help find the person who stabbed him to death in 1972.

Another article about the exhumation, with lots of forensic details:
http://www.ocalapost.com/body-exhumed-cold-case-file-volusia-county-florida/

The most interesting information was this: he might be younger than they thought. I'm curious about that since he has all 32 teeth.

Evidence of his wounds was still apparent to the trained eye. Dr. Warren also made the first new discovery: the victim may have been younger than originally thought. It was believed that the victim was in his late teens or early twenties. However, Dr. Warren saw evidence that the victim may have actually been in his early teens, but his observations will be verified during a more thorough examination at a later date.

The article also indicates that most of the old case files have disappeared, so they're more or less starting from scratch.

I suppose it'll be a while before we hear any results from this.

So all his wisdom teeth were in? That sounds more like late teens at least. Mine didn't come in til my 20s and 30s though, so I guess it could go the other way, with getting them younger than normal.

It's usually around 20, yeah, but it can be a lot younger. My youngest's started coming in around 14.

Unless maybe the 15-21 age range listed already reflects the "younger" age. I don't know what it was before -- don't recall seeing this case before last fall.

I'm thinking Richard Griener. He's two inches off, but at that age, kids grow extremely fast. Only other problem it it looks as if he has no front teeth. I could be wrong. But it's worth a look.
1666494306021.jpeg

A map of the general area where I assume he was found. Close to the highway, but I'd also be interested to know whether the jail and juvenile detention center were there in 1972.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/indian+lake+rd+volusia+fl/@29.1522774,-81.1499402,14.14z?hl=en

View attachment 64639

That's only a 23 minute walk, so WOW. Great find!!
There's a medical examiner, and jail as well. Seems like there must be some connection, or maybe taunting going on.

http://www.djj.state.fl.us/programs-facilities/detention-centers

"A typical day in secure detention would involve hygiene, meals, school, structured physical and educational activities, and court appearance as scheduled. The average length of stay in secure detention is approximately 13 days."

So, if this center was open in 1972 (and I'm searching to see if it was), our UID could've done his 13 days there, and gotten killed afterwards. There's a number on the website, and I'd call it, but I'm not sure if it's the right place to, say, find records.

The school, by the way, currently is for children in grades 6-12. That certainly fits the age range.

In 1972 he might not have anything, it's true. Or it might have been a false name. But even that would be a clue.

In 1972 he might not have anything, it's true. Or it might have been a false name. But even that would be a clue.

I may call or email the case manager to find out the contents of the wallet, if any. I could also see his murderer taking his personal belongings--either because they would identify our UID, or for their own personal gain.

You would think so, right? But at that age, what form of ID would he have?

He probably didn't have any kind of ID. I was born seven years after this boy was found. The only kind of ID that I had before 16 was a passport. That was just used if we went on a trip outside the US. And that wouldn't be something you could keep in your wallet (wouldn't fit). And I never got a school issued ID until college in the late-1990's. I never had any kind of official (non-DL) ID until I got my license suspended a little after that.

I just can't see any kid that age at that time normally having any kind of ID, so I doubt that could lead us closer to his identification.

I think that varied widely and still does. Official ID, yeah, but I had a high school ID in 1971. It was so we could get student discounts at the burger place across the street, and get in to our football and basketball games for free.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back