GUILTY CO - Wayne Sperling & Lorinda Bailey for child neglect, Denver, 2013

CatFancier

Former Member
Reaction score
Four small, malnourished boys taken from a Denver apartment because of uninhabitable conditions faced abuse and could only communicate in grunts, according to an arrest affidavit that described a disturbing scene of feces, urine and flies at the residence.

The document released Monday said Denver police found the children - ages 2, 4, 5 and 6 - living in a residence with an "unbearable" smell of a decomposing animal.

http://www.14news.com/story/23632641/police-boys-taken-from-denver-home-malnourished

Oh my goodness. Those poor, poor babies. That article is going to give me nightmares.

Why was the mother living in a different unit? How couldn't she notice the smell each time she walked through the door?

Just heartbreaking. So it appears the 66 year old (bio dad??) and mum were living in different units? Reminds me of a show called Animal Hoarders, where folks don't even realize they're living in 2 foot of cat urine and feces.

I'm so glad the boys are safe now!

MOO

Mel

Their bail is set at only $5000 !!!!

So maybe they should shoot them?

Yeah, these kids were neglected and living in filth, but from what I've read they weren't beaten, tortured, starved to death (they were malnourished or so it is said), nor were they pimped out sexually, and tghat is a good thing. Also, it seems they were taken to ER when they were hurt, instead of letting them die and burying the body or claiming "someone stole my child".

No, they surely aren't the greatest of parents, and God knows what went out between husband and wife, but no children died, and TO ME, that is a plus.

I saw this this morning. This stuff just breaks me. I don't understand it, I will never understand it.

I saw this this morning. This stuff just breaks me. I don't understand it, I will never understand it.

It isn't that hard to understand, and if one feels broken down, perhaps it is better not to read all the daily horrors. Perhaps one needs to understand that not everyone was given the same degree of mental acumen.

In my opinion these things happen because of drugs, alcohol, lack of education, mental illness, low IQ, and the way one was raised themselves, not to mention domestic abuse, although I haven't heard of any so far in this case. These happenings have always been with mankind, we simply hear more about it today, plus, this is a bad economic time, things are shifting every which way, and even fairly bright people aren't sure which way is up and which is down. Wrong is call right, and right is wrong. It's a wonder anyone can cope.

I believe all we can do is hang onto our own sanity, help where we find a need, pray/hope for the best.

ok i can understand its tough for people out there economically, but just cause your are poor doesnt mean you are filthy. I know in Dallas, there are plenty of social services to help, but these kids didnt seem to be under fed, just not taken care of.

If you are so mentally unstable that you cannot properly look after your children enough to bathe them then you shouldnt have children and dont deserve to have them back. one or 2 kids ok but you keep having multiple kids you cannot look after? I will never understand that either.

Its a cycle that will never end. Neglectful parents beget messed up children and then what? Next thing we know little angela has her own children or grandchildren and taking a sledgehammer to them.

Heartbreaking. The article made me cry. I know there are children worse off, but I hate to think of any child suffering and there is no doubt to me that these 4 babies were suffering.

Not four babies. Seven babies

The parents, Wayne Sperling and Lorinda Bailey, appeared in court Tuesday on felony child-abuse charges. Authorities say their four boys, ages 2 to 6, lived in a rank-smelling apartment littered with cat feces, flies and urine. The boys could not speak and only grunted, authorities said.

Police found similar conditions at the couple's apartment in 2006, when they had three other children, records released Tuesday show.
Neighbors said they repeatedly complained to authorities about the boys' care but nothing happened.

So the social services just let them have more children and paid no attention?

Not four babies. Seven babies

So the social services just let them have more children and paid no attention?

Four children were in the home at the time of this incident. I wonder where the other 3 are?

This is not about economics. I know many poor people that have immaculate homes. Their kids are clean and fed.

I just can not believe these are more kids that have just slipped through the system.

I would really want to know why these children cannot talk??!!

The article is confusing. But I presume in 2006, 3 children were removed and this couple produced four more since then?
And CPS never checked on those 4?
Have they not taught these children to talk?
If a child doesn't learn to talk until a certain age, it might never be able to learn.

Wondering if the parents are severely mentally deficient? Like a 50 IQ?

??????

What's their excuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Also, it seems they were taken to ER when they were hurt, instead of letting them die and burying the body or claiming "someone stole my child".

No, they surely aren't the greatest of parents, and God knows what went out between husband and wife, but no children died, and TO ME, that is a plus.

This is an article about a little boy named Peter. His mother often took him to the doctor when she (or her partner) hurt him. He was seen 78 times before he died, including 2 days before he was killed. I believe the children in the OP were at great risk and could have ended up being treated similarly to Baby P.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...used-police-WERE-told-injuries--save-him.html

This is an article about a little boy named Peter. His mother often took him to the doctor when she (or her partner) hurt him. He was seen 78 times before he died, including 2 days before he was killed. I believe the children in the OP were at great risk and could have ended up being treated similarly to Baby P.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...used-police-WERE-told-injuries--save-him.html

Linda's guess of low IQ in the post above is probably right. Peter Connolly's mother is as thick as two short planks, and according to those who knew her growing up, she was always seen as a bit "simple".

Not making excuses here, of course. Just saying that subnormal intelligence may be part of this case too.

Linda's guess of low IQ in the post above is probably right. Peter Connolly's mother is as thick as two short planks, and according to those who knew her growing up, she was always seen as a bit "simple".

Not making excuses here, of course. Just saying that subnormal intelligence may be part of this case too.

And it makes child protective services job must more difficult ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back