'Offensive' Halloween costumes banned

TrackerSam

Reaction score
Read also the 'naughty kitten' thread.

'Offensive' Halloween costumes banned by US university

University of Colorado Boulder tells students to avoid costumes including cowboys, indians, white trash or anything potentially deemed offensive.
University students in America have been told not to wear "offensive" halloween costumes including cowboys, indians and anything involving a sombrero.

Students at the University of Colorado Boulder have also been told to avoid "white trash" costumes and anything that portrays a particular culture as "over-sexualised" - which the university says includes dressing up as a geisha or a "squaw" (indigenous woman).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...lloween-costumes-banned-by-US-university.html

I used to dress up as a cowboy. These PC people are whacked IMO.
It's Halloween. I think you could probably 'sexualize' any costume.
They didn't tell students not to wear sombreros on Cinco de Mayo or green derbys on St.Patty's Day.

We have the right to be offended in this country. Some people need to exercise that right and put their big kid panties on.

JMO

We have the right to be offended in this country. Some people need to exercise that right and put their big kid panties on.

JMO

:facepalm: As if the college kids are going to comply. :floorlaugh:

JMO

Something, somewhere will offend someone. The only time I objected to a Halloween costume was the guy who came as a used Tampax.

so when a friend of ours dressed as a woman one Hallowe'en, that could be deemed as offensive because he wasn't really a transvestite?

one year my friend & I went as 'white trash' ... what if we had colored our skin black? would that not be offensive because 'black trash' is not a common term?

so when a friend of ours dressed as a woman one Hallowe'en, that could be deemed as offensive because he wasn't really a transvestite?

one year my friend & I went as 'white trash' ... what if we had colored our skin black? would that not be offensive because 'black trash' is not a common term?

My son (black) wants to go to a party this weekend in white face and call himself a "negative"

Roflmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My son (black) wants to go to a party this weekend in white face and call himself a "negative"

Roflmao!

I doubt any whites would object, why would we? Now, answer honestly - if someone came in black face, would it be taken in the same spirit of good fun?

I doubt any whites would object, why would we? Now, answer honestly - if someone came in black face, would it be taken in the same spirit of good fun?

I doubt it. It's not the same.

I'm stunned, but I do thank you for the honest answer. I don't quite understand the whys and wherefores, however.

If one race can mimic the other, why isn't turn about fair play. I was also curious about the "negative" statement.

I'm not trying to turn this into a race war - I do believe you and I might be able to communicate.

I'm stunned, but I do thank you for the honest answer. I don't quite understand the whys and wherefores, however.

If one race can mimic the other, why isn't turn about fair play. I was also curious about the "negative" statement.

I'm not trying to turn this into a race war - I do believe you and I might be able to communicate.

Negative, like on a film negative.

Because his costume could cause controversy ...I urged him not to.
i suggested Day of the Dead Dude...he could wear his tux ( which was cheaper to buy the designer tux @ Burlington Coat Factory than to rent) and for 30 bucks more ... It's fully tailored!

Having read the article, so far as I can tell, the headline of the article, and (by extension) the title of this thread, are somewhat misleading, as nothing is being 'banned', but students are being asked to avoid wearing costumes that perpetuate offensive stereotypes. Agree with that sentiment or not, it isn't the same as a 'ban' as there are no formal consequences.

Read also the 'naughty kitten' thread.

'Offensive' Halloween costumes banned by US university

University of Colorado Boulder tells students to avoid costumes including cowboys, indians, white trash or anything potentially deemed offensive.
University students in America have been told not to wear "offensive" halloween costumes including cowboys, indians and anything involving a sombrero.

Students at the University of Colorado Boulder have also been told to avoid "white trash" costumes and anything that portrays a particular culture as "over-sexualised" - which the university says includes dressing up as a geisha or a "squaw" (indigenous woman).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...lloween-costumes-banned-by-US-university.html

I used to dress up as a cowboy. These PC people are whacked IMO.
It's Halloween. I think you could probably 'sexualize' any costume.
They didn't tell students not to wear sombreros on Cinco de Mayo or green derbys on St.Patty's Day.

:floorlaugh:

OMG!! I'm tempted to go over there right now with my sombrero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He wouldn't be mimicing another race. He's himself as if he were a negative. I think you're confusing race and the photographic process.

I find it all ridiculous.. The whole point of Halloween is to go as someone DIFFERENT from you. The whole thing is utterly nuts.

The thing about teens, young adults .. you tell 'em to do one thing, they turn around and do the complete opposite just to get under your skin .. should be an interesting night up there.

The thing about teens, young adults .. you tell 'em to do one thing, they turn around and do the complete opposite just to get under your skin .. should be an interesting night up there.

That's one of the things I love the most about young minds, the desire to express themselves in ways the rest of us are conditioned not to!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back