MD MD - Baltimore, UncFem 13-17, UP2258, stunted growth, short limbs, blanket, sheet, blouse, Dec'79

outofthedark

Lyle Stevik's FB Hostess
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on December 6, 1979 in Baltimore, Baltimore City County, Maryland
Estimated Date of Death: Days prior
Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 13-17 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 4'7; 89 lbs (40 kg)
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown, short, straight, 2 1/2 inches long hair; blue eyes. She was short limbed due to abnormal development.
Dentals: Available.
Clothing: She was wearing a long sleeve blouse with white, blue and beige print.
Case History
The victim was recovered from Cabana Road in Fort Smallwood Park on December 6, 1979.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Baltimore Police Department
410-396-2400
Or
Maryland Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
410-333-3250
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
79-2216A / 79-75U / 098676

Source Information:
NCMEC
UDRS

http://doenetwork.org/cases/615ufmd.html

It seems surprising that she has blue eyes. The pic makes her look African American or African American/Asian. The eyes look very dark.

I wish they'd be more specific about "abnormal development". It looks from the drawing like she may have had achondroplasia. If that's the case, then others in her family may have it too. It should be really easy to ID someone with an obvious genetic condition... of course, so many of these "should be" easy.

Could be "abnormal development" as a result of thalidomide during the mother's pregnancy as well.

Could be "abnormal development" as a result of thalidomide during the mother's pregnancy as well.
There were not more than a handful of Thalidomide babies born in the US, all probably well accounted for because it was studied so much afterwards. Her earliest estimated conception year is around 1961. Canada still had Thalidomide as late as 62, but it was never approved in the US. It is possible but not the first thing that should be considered. My money says look for others in the area with the same condition. Also, many conditions like this have support groups. One of these groups could help find the identity.

I just wish LE would let loose of more information. Anyone know the COD?

I agree with Sidneyia , that she looks like she may have had Achondroplasia. Most people born with Achondroplasia are born to average size parents so looking for families with this disorder may prove useful it is not a sure bet at all. I wonder if Little People of America had conventions back then and if any old timers might recognize this person? Seems like this case should be solvable.

NamUs UP # 2258
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/2258

ME/C Case Number: 98676
Baltimore City, Maryland
13 to 17 year old Female

Ruled out:
Karen Zendrosky 1963 New Jersey

Demographics
Estimated age - Adolescent
Minimum age - 13 years
Maximum age - 17 years
Race - Unsure
Sex - Female
Weight (pounds) - 89, Estimated
Height (inches) - 55, Measured
Body Parts Inventory - All parts recovered

Body conditions - Recognizable face
Probable year of death - 1979 to 1979
Estimated postmortem interval - 1 Days

Circumstances
Subject was found at the edge of a pond in a park on the Patapsco River.

Physical
Hair color - Brown
Head hair - Brown, short, straight, 2 1/2 inches long
Facial hair - Some facial hair noted over upper lip
Eye description - Blue

Deformities - Short limbs; Forearms slightly bowed.
Other distinctive physical characteristics - Feet are small and broad.

Medical
Skeletal findings - Abnormally developed - short limbed; Forearms slightly bowed. Feet are small and broad.
Other medical information - Blood type AB (unknown if AB or AB Neg)

Clothing and Accessories
Clothing on body - long sleeve blouse with cream, light blue and beige print
Other items found with body - Yellow Blanket, Green and Tan Sheet

Fingerprints Status: Fingerprint information is available and entered
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is available and entered
DNA Status: Sample available - Not yet submitted

are there any post mortem pictures for this jane doe?

Unfortunately so far I have been unable to locate it.

Even though the location of JD found is stated as Baltimore, Maryland, Fort Smallwood Park is actually only 15 min drive from Pasadena and about one hour from Baltimore City. For some historic reason Fort Smallwood Park belongs to Baltimore and is only city park which is located outside of the actual city. I assume because of this Baltimore LE deals with this case.
http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/parks/ftsmallwood/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Smallwood_Park

Fort Smallwood Park location
https://www.google.com/maps/dir//Fo...73ff0b30fd0bf54!2m2!1d-76.4808893!2d39.163801

I have always thought there have been some unfortunate accident in recreation park as child was discovered with blanket however I came across the post with description from 1979 news article describing scene as more sinister. Unfortunately I do not see the link to the original there and I have been unable so far locating the exact same 1979 original news article.

Please mod do amend if appropriate/non appropriate.
Articles/Cabana Road Jane Doe

Baltimore Sun
December 7, 1979

DEAD WOMAN FOUND IN PARK

A city park maintenance worker discovered the almost nude body of an unidentified woman yesterday in Fort Smallwood Park in Anne Arundel county, city homicide detectives said.

The body of a woman, who appeared to be in her late teens or early 20s, was discovered shortly before noon, lying under two blankets in a puddle near a partially frozen pond in the park, in the 1000 block Fort Smallwood road.

Police said it appeared the body, which bore no obvious signs of violence, had been dragged to the area and had been there at least 24 hours.

The victim, nude, except for a blouse, weighed about 100 pound, had blue eyes, brown hair and "crooked teeth," investigators said. Anyone with information that might lead to identification of the woman was asked to telephone the city homicide squad at ........
http://www.officialcoldcaseinvestig...64-Maryland-12-6-1979-13-17-short-limbs/page2

If she did have achondroplasia, that, combined with her young age, makes me think this was the work of guardians. Maybe she could have been kept away from the outside world by parents, who were ashamed of her. JMHO.

Baltimore Jane Doe has a recon now.

CASE NUMBER - 615UFMD
615UFMD.jpg

Date of Discovery: December 6, 1979
Location of Discovery: Baltimore, Baltimore City County, Maryland
Estimated Date of Death: 1 day prior
State of Remains: Recognizable face
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 13-17years old
Race: Unsure
Height: 4'7"
Weight: 89 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown, short, straight, 2 1/2 inches
Eye Color: Blue
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Short limbs; forearms slightly bowed. Feet are small and broad and abnormally developed. Blood type AB (unknown if AB or AB Neg).

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Long sleeve blouse with cream, light blue and beige print.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Yellow Blanket. Green and Tan Sheet.

Circumstances of Discovery
Subject was found at the edge of a pond in Fort Smallwood Park on Cabana Road on the Patapsco River.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Maryland Office of Chief State Medical Examiner
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 410-333-3225
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 98676

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 2258

Information Source(s)
NamUs
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

Bumping case up. It sounds like she was particularly vulnerable, was sexually assaulted (I'm assuming based on lack of clothing), was dumped there. She deserves her name back! She deserves justice, if still possible. It's been decades too long.

Tragic case.

If I were to guess, this is not a violent crime but more of a welfare fraud/illegal disposal case, ie the person had caretakers who received government benefits and when the person died, they disposed of the body and continued receiving the benefits. Those responsible for disposing the body are probably in her family.

I’m not familiar with how disability benefits work in the US today, let alone in the late 70’s. Is it plausible?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151
Back