Canada - Man rescued after 3 months in Quebec woods, ate his dog to survive

belimom

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes~M.Kuhn
Reaction score
Trekker Marco Lavoie eats his beloved pet dog to survive days after it saved him from bear attack

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...adian-wilderness/story-fnizu68q-1226752109250

I didn't see a thread on this, and wasn't too interested until I read that he had killed and eaten his German Shepherd, days after the dog chased the bear away that ate his food/destroyed his gear.

While I can sit here and say 'I'd never do that', I really don't know what I would do if I were starving. It's just a very sad situation. :(

RIP, sweet pup...

112180-german-shepherd-and-generic.jpg

Trekker Marco Lavoie eats his beloved pet dog to survive days after it saved him from bear attack

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...adian-wilderness/story-fnizu68q-1226752109250

I didn't see a thread on this, and wasn't too interested until I read that he had killed and eaten his German Shepherd, days after the dog chased the bear away that ate his food/destroyed his gear.

While I can sit here and say 'I'd never do that', I really don't know what I would do if I were starving. It's just a very sad situation. :(

RIP, sweet pup...

112180-german-shepherd-and-generic.jpg

So very sad.

This has happened a few times before...
There was another one where the guy killed his dog... but then didn't have the heart to eat it.
I was MORE bothered by that because what a waste of killing the dog.

I DO know I could never do this. But I don't judge someone else who does. :twocents:

So the dog's loyalty and protection saved the man from a bear attack, and in return he used that loyalty and affection as a means of killing the companion that stayed with him and risked his life for him.

The words "beloved dog" strike me as completely inappropriate. The MAN chose to hike out into the wilderness and TOOK his dog and when the man's lack of judgement put them both in a bad situation he chose to kill his loyal canine companion (and then claim he was the victim to get sympathy).

No sympathy at ALL. Disgusting story. I wish the bear had come back afterwards and finished the job. The man should have known the risks and prepared for them YET he apparently ignored them, I can't believe people feel sympathy for this guy.

I hate to judge too. However....I would never put my dog or myself in that position. I've had many dogs over the years. I took care of them and they took care of me as well. When I get a dog it's my intention to take care of them until they die. I have had some hard decisions to make concerning that.

The dog saved him. The dog did not make the decision to make the trek. The dog could have possibly survived had the man died. I do not feel it was the man's decision to make.

It's so hard to say but I believe that I would take my chances WITH my dog/friend/companion. If I died he'd have a better chance without me. Again...it was the man's decision to make the trek.

RIP sweet dog....you were an admirable companion and did not deserve to be killed by the man you trusted. You did everything to protect him.

jmo

RIP sweet dog....you were an admirable companion and did not deserve to be killed by the man you trusted. You did everything to protect him.

Exactly. If this guy had been starving and was "forced" by starvation kill and eat his wife, kids, or human hiking companion would anyone be feeling sorry for him?????

No. No one would be feeling sorry for him. He would be considered a monster.

So the dog's loyalty and protection saved the man from a bear attack, and in return he used that loyalty and affection as a means of killing the companion that stayed with him and risked his life for him.

The words "beloved dog" strike me as completely inappropriate. The MAN chose to hike out into the wilderness and TOOK his dog and when the man's lack of judgement put them both in a bad situation he chose to kill his loyal canine companion (and then claim he was the victim to get sympathy).

No sympathy at ALL. Disgusting story. I wish the bear had come back afterwards and finished the job. The man should have known the risks and prepared for them YET he apparently ignored them, I can't believe people feel sympathy for this guy.

Exactly. No sympathy for this barbaric fool from me either. Just can't imagine killing and eating one of my pets because I was starving due to my own stupidity.

Just very sad for the poor German Shepherd. What a waste of a beautiful life.

MOO

I have long believed that there should be an IQ test for animal owners.

Wandering into the wilderness with no proper preparation or survival skills is beyond foolish, it's totally brain dead and/or suicidal.

Poor doggie I hope you get a nice warm kennel and a big juicy bone in heaven x

I would starve to death before I would hurt my beloved German shepherd or any of my dogs. I also would never take my dog on a dangerous trip or myself either.

Exactly. If this guy had been starving and was "forced" by starvation kill and eat his wife, kids, or human hiking companion would anyone be feeling sorry for him?????

No. No one would be feeling sorry for him. He would be considered a monster.

Exactly.

Oh my gosh. I did not see anything about this part of the story when the news of this man's survival first broke. How awful. :(

Oh my gosh. I did not see anything about this part of the story when the news of this man's survival first broke. How awful. :(

Neither did I. That was definitely not mentioned at first. :twocents:

I would rather die.
HOW could he do such a savage thing?

I cant imagine thinking of my doggie as food.

me and my cousins used to go in the woods and live for weeks on whatever we could find. only reason to come out was because school started or somebody died (not one of us kids, a relative or whoever) and we were expected at the funeral.

what did this guy do? set on his butt for 3 months? it doesn't say anything about injuries, seems like he could have walked and found somewhere.

this is just really sad. poor loyal doggie.

I would never judge, until I walked a day in his shoes. :(

I would never judge, until I walked a day in his shoes. :(

He obviously didn't survive for 3 months just eating the dog.
So how did he get food? And if he was able to get food, why did he have to kill his dog? From what's been reported, that dog saved his behind when bear attacked. And how did he repay his loyal companion?

I avoided even reading this thread because I was afraid people would be condoning what he did. This is just appalling to me. The dog SAVED his LIFE! And he killed him. And ate him.

This made me think of the story about the man who went hiking up a mountain with his elderly dog (stupid idea) and he didn't think his dog would be able to make it back down so he left him there to starve to death. Well, some hikers found the poor dog still clinging to life several weeks later and they organized a rescue to bring the dog down. They carried that poor baby down the mountain. And the man that left him to starve to death? Wanted him back. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. He didn't get him back, needless to say.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back