CANADA Canada - Lance Kunderman, 23, Vancouver, 26 Dec 1982

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.wrps.on.ca/missing-persons/lance-emerson-kunderman

`` Born: April 14, 1960

In 1982 Lance was travelling through North America with Eric Clapton’s band. On December 26, 1982, Lance was in Vancouver BC and was heading to Los Angeles.
``
Anyone with information please contact the Waterloo Regional Police at (519) 650 8500 x 8655

http://www.nampn.org/cases/kunderman_lance.html

Missing Since: December 26, 1983 from Vancouver, British Columbia
Classification: Missing
Date Of Birth: April 14, 1960
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 125 lbs.
Hair Color: Red
Eye Color: Blue
Race: White
Case Number: RM84018371

Details of Disappearance
In 1982, Lance was travelling through North America with Eric Clapton’s band. Lance called his family December 26 from Vancouver BC to inform them that he would be travelling to Los Angeles California. This is the last contact he had with his family``

http://www.411gina.org/missingflyers/LanceKundermanMissingFlyer.pdf

Identifying Characteristics:
Kunderman
had a beard when he disappeared.
Circumstances
:
Unknown. Lance Kunderman left his home in Waterloo Ontario, and
traveled to Banff Alberta.
Lance was in Vancouver British Columbia in October 1982 and
was to travel abroad; Kunderman was traveling while working wi
th Eric Clapton’s road
crew.
On December 26, 1983, Lance spoke with his family saying he was still with the
band and would be traveling to Los Angeles, California.
He has not been heard from since,
and his case remains unsolved``

An article that talks about Lance's case and others from the Waterloo region.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story...ermined-to-pursue-missing-persons-cold-cases/

Detective asking for the public's help.

Not sure if I can link it here, but the detective and Lance's brother also did a blog radio interview with the mother of Jessie Foster, a Canadian woman missing from Las Vegas. Happy to see this detective being really proactive about Lance's case and others.

There is not much new info I gleaned from that podcast. I have seen various dates for the last contact with Lance, from December 26-December 30. Lance's brother did state in the interview that they didn't realize right away that Lance was missing - not for maybe six or seven months - due to his being on the road. The radio show also stated that he was "possibly" working with Clapton's crew, so it seems that is not known for a 100% fact.

Otherwise, Lance's brother describes him as a really nice guy, very trusting person, and someone who loved kids. I hope this is the year they can bring Lance home.

Also, mods, I notice the thread says "LA" in the front, which makes me think Louisiana. Wondering if instead it could reflect Canada or BC or Vancouver, his last known location. Thanks!

An article that talks about Lance's case and others from the Waterloo region.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story...ermined-to-pursue-missing-persons-cold-cases/

Detective asking for the public's help.

Not sure if I can link it here, but the detective and Lance's brother also did a blog radio interview with the mother of Jessie Foster, a Canadian woman missing from Las Vegas. Happy to see this detective being really proactive about Lance's case and others.

There is not much new info I gleaned from that podcast. I have seen various dates for the last contact with Lance, from December 26-December 30. Lance's brother did state in the interview that they didn't realize right away that Lance was missing - not for maybe six or seven months - due to his being on the road. The radio show also stated that he was "possibly" working with Clapton's crew, so it seems that is not known for a 100% fact.

Otherwise, Lance's brother describes him as a really nice guy, very trusting person, and someone who loved kids. I hope this is the year they can bring Lance home.

Thanks so much for that extra info. Irish Eyes, I hoped someone, somewhere might pop on this thread!
Sorry about the thread heading, :facepalm: afraid I'm still not very good at it.

From the link to detailed article above..

" In late 2008, the detective began reinvestigating a handful of suspicious cases, which led him to bring all 20 active missing person files under the authority of the homicide branch.

He chased countless leads and false hopes, and wishes he can someday bring some answers to the families left behind.

"I've met a lot of these families. We're on a first-name basis … I'd like nothing more than to bring closure to all of them," Dorling said. "All of these cases deserve attention. They're all unique."

Dorling and his fellow investigators have a few advantages that police didn't have in the 1980s, including DNA testing and the power to spread photos and stories via social media.

But he needs the public's help. He hopes people take few moments to read each missing person case at wrps.on.ca/missingpersons/all and offer their tips.

"Pass the information on. If you see a poster, a picture or an article, post on it Facebook, send it out on Twitter. I'm hoping somewhere out there, someone will remember something," Dorling said. "It's a whole lot harder to hide now."

In some cases, the tips he needs go back to the 1970s."

Bumping for Lance Kunderman.

Just wanted to note that some reports say Lance went missing in 1983 and others say 1982.. This is possibly due to his last phone call home, which came at the end of December, close to the new year.imo.

Bumping for Lance ..

http://www.missing-u.ca/MPDetail.aspx?PersonID=2104

"In 1982 Lance KUNDERMAN, age 23, left his home in Waterloo Region and headed to Banff, Alberta. Lance was reportedly in British Columbia in October 1982 and was to travel abroad. Kunderman was working with singer Eric Clapton's road crew. On December 26, 1982 Kunderman spoke with his family saying he was still with the band. Information was that Lance worked between Los Angeles and Vancouver.
Case # 20120031OPP
Name Lance Emerson KUNDERMAN
Alias
Date Last Seen 26 Dec 1982
Age At Last Seen 23
Date of Birth 14 Apr 1960
Sex Male
Race Caucasian
Height (cm) 173 -
Height (Imp.) 5 ft 8 - ft
Weight (kgs.) 57 -
Weight (lbs.) 125 -
Build slender
Dentition good
Hair red; wavy
Beard
Moustache
Sideburns
Facial Hair (Desc.)
Eye Colour blue
Eyewear
Eyewear Description
Features may have a surgical scar from a twisted testicle operation
Clothing n/a
Personal Property
Location ; Last known to have worked in British Columbia in October 1982.
Agency Waterloo Regional Police Service
CONTACT US

1-877-9FIND ME (1-877-934-6363) Toll Free in Canada or
email us at Tips or at opp.isb.resolve@ontario.ca
(705) 330-4144 for local or outside of Canada
A reward may be offered for information leading to the successful resolution of this case"

Waterloo cold-cases, bumping for Lance. Link thanks to poster Irish_Eyes.

" Lance Kunderman was 21 when he left his family's farmhouse in Conestogo in 1982 to pursue a career as musician in Banff. In a phone call to his mother, he said he was travelling through North America as a roadie in Eric Clapton's band — a claim police say doesn't appear true.

His brother, Craig Kunderman of Fergus, said he's not expecting the case to be solved after all these years. But the hole left in his family, especially for his elderly parents, still stings.

"What bothers me is my kids never got to meet him," Craig Kunderman said. "They know about him, but he doesn't know I got married, I had a family. It's sad they don't get that time with him. That kind of hurts."

People go missing for a variety of reasons: there was foul play and the body is never recovered, there's a suicide where remains are unidentifiable or a person simply chooses to disappear."

rbbm.

There's a typo in the above MSM article .. the town should read Conestoga (not Conestogo).

So, if Lance was untruthful about working for Clapton's road crew, maybe his stories about going to Banff and travelling abroad were also fabricated. If these things were untrue, what was he working at that provided him money to live on?

Wow, 32 years gone by and Lance would now be 55. Was he looking for a new life, pulling a disappearing act, or did he meet with foul play? Would be nice if his brother could find his way WS and provide some input on Lance's background and last known activities/contacts that could be verified.

ETA: OR, was Lance being truthful and his disappearance wasn't good publicity?

Wonder what instrument Lance played and if he had made any headway in the music world while in Vancouver, if indeed he went there.
It seemed unlikely that he would be on the EC road crew as Lance was not experienced, and because they would not want to pay for hotels ect. for anyone other than the major tech crew.
Plus, Lance would need working papers prepared well in advance of any tour in the States, imo.
He may have followed the band there as many do, perhaps he met someone on the crew who took a shine to him and had him tag along (unlikely) or fooled by someone pretending to be with the band, ( not unusual) imo.
If Lance mislead his family, was it because his situation was actually very bad and he wanted to paint a rosy picture at Xmas time?
Was he planning a suicide, or did he actually believe he was going to work for the band?
No shortage of sleazebags offering pseudo plum jobs to bright-eyed, naive young people, usually females- but...

Did it sound like Lance's voice on the phone?
At one time i had even wondered if he was" Grateful Doe."

The EC band seemed to be going through a very turbulent period circa 82-83, people coming and going, unlikely, but perhaps personnel records were not terribly accurate.
Wonder if EC was Lance's musical idol?

imo, speculation, ect.

There's a typo in the above MSM article .. the town should read Conestoga (not Conestogo).

So, if Lance was untruthful about working for Clapton's road crew, maybe his stories about going to Banff and travelling abroad were also fabricated. If these things were untrue, what was he working at that provided him money to live on?

Wow, 32 years gone by and Lance would now be 55. Was he looking for a new life, pulling a disappearing act, or did he meet with foul play? Would be nice if his brother could find his way WS and provide some input on Lance's background and last known activities/contacts that could be verified.

ETA: OR, was Lance being truthful and his disappearance wasn't good publicity?

Eric Clapton wasn't on tour in the fall of 1982. According to http://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-tour/archive/1982 he took a break from June through December and was in Great Britain at the end of December (22nd) for a one-off show, it appears. FWIW.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly
"There's a typo in the above MSM article .. the town should read Conestoga (not Conestogo). ...."

Ha, that is no typo - the town (well hamlet really) is Conestogo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conestogo,_Ontario
It *is* confusing as the nearby mall and expressway are named Conestoga...

My mom know's Lance's mom very well. I was only marginally aware of his disappearance as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly
"There's a typo in the above MSM article .. the town should read Conestoga (not Conestogo). ...."

Ha, that is no typo - the town (well hamlet really) is Conestogo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conestogo,_Ontario
It *is* confusing as the nearby mall and expressway are named Conestoga...

My mom know's Lance's mom very well. I was only marginally aware of his disappearance as a kid.

Welcome to Ws The Wood, it is really good to have you here!
Would love to know more about Lance, it is time to find out what happened to him, he needs to get back home to Conestogo!
:welcome:

Indeed. There isn't a lot of info about this one, is there? I will ask my mom what she remembers when I see her over Christmas. All I remember as a kid was my mom saying Lance's mom would get goosebumps if her phone ever rang on mother's day, hoping it was him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back