"What did you find"?

wengr

Reaction score
We have all heard of this so called enhanced 911 tape.
I have read the transcripts but I have never actually heard it. Alot is made of the question -"what DID you find".
Personally I don't find that question very surprising considering the fact that Patsy is on the phone desperately trying to tell them of a ransom note that she just found. However, I would certainly like to hear it so that I can experience the tone and demeanor of the speakers.
So, in the event that it actually exists, is it available anywhere?

I hear the voices but I can't say for sure if BR is speaking. Based on inflections and pitches, what I think I hear, is PR and JR. I've read that what the operator heard after PR hung up the phone, raised her alarm enough to report the voices. If PR was wailing for Jesus, why was she alarmed? That would have been the obvious transition from the 911 call. Those voices are tricky. For instance, it's hard to distinguish certain sounds, such as the K and T from each other. Because of inflections, somebody would have to have a very weird way of speaking for those words to be, 'we're not speaking to you', or 'help me Jesus'. The Jesus would have to be pronounced something like, 'Jaysoos'-not impossible, and I can kind of hear it, but based on the way PR talked during the 911, I'm not sure she would switch to that style of speaking. Based on what I've heard, it's moo, (and this is just an opinion), I think they're saying more syllables than what the transcripts show. What I hear is a more fluid conversation without the random stresses on sounds and misplaced question mark sounds. I know this doesn't answer your question, lol and sorry to ramble, but because of the nasally quality of the softer voice, I think it's PR. I do realize that her son could have picked up her speech habits and could sound similar, so, who knows...

it's not available. there are lots of links for the "enhanced tape" but none for the "specially enhanced tape"

it was leaked, and aired one time (although some say that a few affiliates didn't get the memo and aired it one more time). but that was in the olden days and if you and I didn't hear it then we can't hear it now

http://www.acandyrose.com/12261996-911.htm

http://www.acandyrose.com/s-geraldo911tape.htm

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21416"]enhanced 911 call - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75425"]"Geraldo" Show W/Enhanced Ramsey 911 Tape... - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

it's not available. there are lots of links for the "enhanced tape" but none for the "specially enhanced tape"

it was leaked, and aired one time (although some say that a few affiliates didn't get the memo and aired it one more time). but that was in the olden days and if you and I didn't hear it then we can't hear it now

http://www.acandyrose.com/12261996-911.htm

http://www.acandyrose.com/s-geraldo911tape.htm

enhanced 911 call - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

"Geraldo" Show W/Enhanced Ramsey 911 Tape... - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I saw that show, I heard the tape. It was extremely clear, the enhancement: "What did you find?" and, "We're not speaking to you!"
And then it was gone. I never heard the end of that call again, until the internet.

Since hearing that so soon after the murder, I have thought all these years that John was mad at Burke, but recently have considered that John may have been mad that the 911 call had been placed at all. If John was preparing to go dump the body, but Patsy freaked and went rogue.
Did Patsy call all those friends too, while John was in the shower? Are Patsy's rogue calls part of the reason the Ramseys avoided each other all morning?

Patsy had been throwing up alarms about BR's behavior & JB's urinary problems. Perhaps the thought that JB was about to be dumped outdoors made Patsy crack and queer John's scheme to hide the body, make the kidnapping look real? IF Patsy didn't kill JB, maybe she came to some sense that morning while John was showering, and hoped calling the cavalry would leak the truth, instead of PR having to?

Regardless, I KNOW I heard that tape, very clearly. I used to watch all those talk shows.

(I'm always in the wrong thread with my speculation. But I had assumed all these years JR was mad at BR, because I heard that tape on Geraldo. It's only the last few days, reading others' theories here, that has me challenging my long-held beliefs about the end of the call.)

^^^ I am envious! I didn't hear it and have had to make do with transcripts. there are quite a few WSers who heard it, koldkase and River Rat quickly come to mind. we get a lot of visitors and newbies here and I think it's good to steer them in the direction of the old WS 911 threads, and the candyrose 911 timeline which provides an in-depth overview

PR called the friends over following the 911 call, after JR was finished showering and was partially dressed. I've always thought she was setting up a buffer between her/JR and LE, and also between herself and JR. and I've always wondered if her mentions of JR being in his underwear were code-speak (referring to an event that must not be mentioned, when he was in his underwear)

I listened to the enhanced 911 call tape several years ago. I do believe I followed a link somewhere in this forum on Websleuths.

From "Death of Innocence"
Page 202: "just after I "thought" I hung up the telephone. According to unnamed sources, the Enquirer claimed that you could now hear Burke on the tape saying, "Please, what do I do?" and John replying, "We're not speaking to you." Obviously, if this were true, then John and I had been inaccurate when we testified that we had not awaken Burke or talked with him until later in the morning. Their scenario ran along the lines that we couldn't have possibly forgotten such an important conversation. Therefore, the enhanced tapes were represent a major flaw in our explanations. We must have done something we were trying to cover up. John and I saw the story as another one of those crazy accounts the tabloids kept running on us. We knew it was probably a police leak that in time would be viewed as misinformation. As a matter of fact, an accurate account was later published in Newsweek. The magazine reported that some of the people who had hard the tape - the police - thought they heard Burke's voice, while others said no conversation was hard, even after the tape was enhanced in the lab. Why would the police have had to enhance the tape if the wall phone was off the hook? We wondered."

Really? "Why would the police have to enhance the tape if the wall phone was off the hook? Really?
Two educated adults can't appreciate the volume level and proximity effect difference between having the handset mic less than an inch from your mouth, versus having it facing the base, while someone speaks from some distance away?
Really?

I listened to the enhanced 911 call tape several years ago. I do believe I followed a link somewhere in this forum on Websleuths.

pearl, the original version I heard on television was completely clear. I've never heard any version since, here or elsewhere, that was so perfectly audible.

More important to me later was that I also recall Geraldo giving some sort of disclaimer or apology on his next show, to the Ramseys. Some legalese about unwarranted speculation, or somesuch, and I believe the key was that any discussion of BURKE was verboten, blah blah he is a minor.....Obviously they had discussed on the first show that the tape disproves the R's assertion that Burke never woke up.

Anyone know if Geraldo ever got officially sued about that?

I'm very sure though about the quality of the tape I heard. IMO, that version was never heard or reproduced again, that I've found.**

The talk show episode with the tape (part of R story disproved by audio) & the later 'apology' by Geraldo (over-reaction by hyper-lawyered 'innocents'), is absolutely what cemented my interest in the first place. The first time I started believing RDI, and started following the case.

**ETA: Feel free, anyone, to link the best version you know of. I'd love to hear something close to what I heard before, if it exists.

(bbm)
Page 202: "just after I "thought" I hung up the telephone. According to unnamed sources, the Enquirer claimed that you could now hear Burke on the tape saying, "Please, what do I do?" and John replying, "We're not speaking to you." Obviously, if this were true, then John and I had been inaccurate when we testified that we had not awaken Burke or talked with him until later in the morning. Their scenario ran along the lines that we couldn't have possibly forgotten such an important conversation. Therefore, the enhanced tapes were represent a major flaw in our explanations. We must have done something we were trying to cover up. John and I saw the story as another one of those crazy accounts the tabloids kept running on us. We knew it was probably a police leak that in time would be viewed as misinformation. As a matter of fact, an accurate account was later published in Newsweek. The magazine reported that some of the people who had hard the tape - the police - thought they heard Burke's voice, while others said no conversation was hard, even after the tape was enhanced in the lab. Why would the police have had to enhance the tape if the wall phone was off the hook? We wondered."
The "accurate account" is simply their opinion of which version they chose to agree with.

From IRMI, ST, p. 298:
This was ironic, since his boss Pete Hofstrom would later take the 911 tape enhanced by the Aerospace Corporation down to New Mexico to let his brother-in-law, who worked in the Los Alamos scientific complex, have a crack at analyzing it. The brother-in-law apparently declared that he heard a voice say, "I scream at you." That meaningless comment managed to cast doubt on the Aerospace conclusion that Burke said, "What did you find?" and was another gift to the defense lawyers. They would now be able to point out to a jury that even the prosecutor's office and the police did not agree about what was on the tape.
Really? "Why would the police have to enhance the tape if the wall phone was off the hook? Really?
Two educated adults can't appreciate the volume level and proximity effect difference between having the handset mic less than an inch from your mouth, versus having it facing the base, while someone speaks from some distance away?
Really?
Exactly, wengr. And that's why hearing anything said within the room is more difficult than hearing the words spoken directly into the phone. Heck, we even have difficulty agreeing on exactly the words spoken by Patsy while she's speaking to the 911 operator.

Did anyone check to see if the type of phone they used could appear cradled without being hung up? If not, this is all wishful thinking.

Did anyone check to see if the type of phone they used could appear cradled without being hung up? If not, this is all wishful thinking.
Patsy Ramsey BPD Interview, April 30, 1997:
TT: Okay. Where, where were you at when you called 911 cause I know there’s . .
PR: Kitchen.
TT: . . .quite a few phones in the house. (Inaudible) kitchen phone there?
PR: Um hum.
TT: Okay. Is that a cordless phone.
PR: No.
TT: Just a, it’s a regular wall phone right?
PR: Right.

I never could figure out how a person could not hang up a phone on the wall and not realize it. If it isn't hung up properly, it falls. They are made to hold the receiver in place in a way that makes it hang up the connection. That always bothered me too until I ran across a picture of the phone they had in the basement (in the laundry room). Same kind of phone, but lying flat on a utility table instead of hung on the wall. It is my opinion that the 911 call was actually made from this phone in the basement with all three living Ramseys in the vicinity after they had finished all their preparations.

Kitchen wall phone, then the basement table phone:

Attachments

• kitchenphone.JPG
    kitchenphone.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 175
  • phoneinbasementRS.jpg
    phoneinbasementRS.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 179
I'm perusing old threads and thought this one was worthy of a bump and possibly more discussion, especially in view of the enhanced audio being recently aired on TV. My first thought on hearing "What did you find?" was that BR didn't know about the note. And /or he possibly didn't know if his parents were aware JB was dead or if they had found JB. I think he might have come up on them during the call and this was a spontaneous utterance. (This presumes BDI and then went to bed. One plausible scenario, imo.)

I'm perusing old threads and thought this one was worthy of a bump and possibly more discussion, especially in view of the enhanced audio being recently aired on TV. My first thought on hearing "What did you find?" was that BR didn't know about the note.

I am reasonably certain I hear a child's voice at the end, which would have to be BR. I think I hear "What did you..." but can't hear the last word as "find", or even if there is a last word?

And /or he possibly didn't know if his parents were aware JB was dead or if they had found JB. I think he might have come up on them during the call and this was a spontaneous utterance. (This presumes BDI and then went to bed. One plausible scenario, imo.)

I am open to BDI but I can't believe he was responsible for everything to do with the murder (i.e. the note and everything else) Of course, if that is really him saying "what did you find" that would then argue more for RDI or intruder, but I wouldn't stake a lot on that phone enhancement being certain. It reminds me of the "ghost voices" they claim to pick up with that equipment on the ghost hunter TV shows?

I am reasonably certain I hear a child's voice at the end, which would have to be BR. I think I hear "What did you..." but can't hear the last word as "find", or even if there is a last word?

I am open to BDI but I can't believe he was responsible for everything to do with the murder (i.e. the note and everything else) Of course, if that is really him saying "what did you find" that would then argue more for RDI or intruder, but I wouldn't stake a lot on that phone enhancement being certain. It reminds me of the "ghost voices" they claim to pick up with that equipment on the ghost hunter TV shows?

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I think BR wrote the note. Sorry. I believe BDI - that he caused the head injury and strangled JB. I think PR wrote the RN and that BR had already gone to bed by then.

I suppose I haven't been quite critical enough of the findings of the team of technicians at the Aerospace Corp, who enhanced and analyzed the 911 tape. I'm guilty of taking their word for it. It would be great if that enhanced version would be made available online.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I think BR wrote the note. Sorry. I believe BDI - that he caused the head injury and strangled JB. I think PR wrote the RN and that BR had already gone to bed by then.

I suppose I haven't been quite critical enough of the findings of the team of technicians at the Aerospace Corp, who enhanced and analyzed the 911 tape. I'm guilty of taking their word for it. It would be great if that enhanced version would be made available online.

This is the only one I heard...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...16AC6A8883E303C71A5016AC6A8883E303C&FORM=VIRE

Really?

Typical Ramsey "Jacques ate my homework" mode. hmmm. now was that Jacques1 or Jacques2???

If You believe Burke did it and he really did say "what did you find?" What do you think that means? Find what? Another user has said he thinks it was a reference to the ransom note.

I can believe Burke hit JBR and I can even believe he strangled her. But not write the note. I lean toward the theory that John did most of the staging. Patsy only found out last minute. She's the only one I have seen real emotion from. JMO

I'm re-viewing the recent HLN production - "Who Killed JBR?". Something JR said in the Larry King interview jumped out at me.

KING: Police also say digital enhancement indicates that Burke was awake and asking questions when you called 911.
J. RAMSEY: Well, some police claim they think they hear that. We would challenge the police to release that tape.
P. RAMSEY: Make it all public.
J. RAMSEY: Let's make it public. We'd like to hear that tape. We've never heard it. That is not our recollection of what happened that morning.

"That is not our recollection"?! Wait. What? That's bogus through and through. He remembers. He remembers to this day whether or not BR was there at the time. He told people he had to go into BR's room and tell him that JB was missing. That would not have happened if BR was nearby at the end of the 911 call.

If You believe Burke did it and he really did say "what did you find?" What do you think that means? Find what? Another user has said he thinks it was a reference to the ransom note.

I can believe Burke hit JBR and I can even believe he strangled her. But not write the note. I lean toward the theory that John did most of the staging. Patsy only found out last minute. She's the only one I have seen real emotion from. JMO
I think BDI - hit, molested, and strangled her. I think PR wrote the note and that is probably why he is asking "What did you find?" But I also think it's possible that after BDI, he went to bed before PR discovered the body. Possibly. And that she never confronted him, although she must have known. In that case, he might be wondering if they had found JB.

Also, I think PR is probably responsible for all of the staging and undoing and that it's possible JR didn't know anything until he started piecing it together after seeing the RN.. Which is why I think he was distancing himself from PR so much that day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back