GUILTY MI - Renisha McBride, 19, shot while trying to get help, Detroit, Nov 2013

I searched just using her first name and didn't find a thread for her.

This is a tragic case. Can't they interpret these Stand Your Ground laws to only apply if the victim has actually demonstrated they're a threat to the perp's safety?

Unless this guy shot through his own door, he had to pursue her to some degree.

More information in this article

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...f-he-was-afraid-says-atty-for-victims-family/

The attorney representing the family of a Detroit teenager who was shot and killed while apparently seeking help after a car accident says the girl was injured and may have wandered a Dearborn Heights neighborhood for as long as an hour before arriving on the porch of the man who shot her.

According to attorney Gerald Thurswell, McBride hit a parked car and "sustained bruises and lacerations" late Nov. 1 or early Nov. 2. Thurswell said that he spoke with people at a home near the scene of the accident who told him they came outside to help McBride and found her bleeding from the head.

"She kept telling them, 'I want to go home, I want to go home,'" he said.

It sounds as though she sustained a head injury in the car crash and may have been wandering around the neighborhood in a daze. Poor girl. Instead of getting help, she was killed.

A sad loss. Tragically similar to the recent case in North Carolina.

People are more afraid of strangers at their door in the night. Much more often, we hear about someone busting in & doing harm.

Yes, sounds to me like she may have sustained a head injury and was confused or disoriented. She wandered away from people trying to help her. She may have even passed out for a bit. IMO If you're frightened by someone outside your home you do NOT open you locked door and shoot them and then get to claim self-defense. The LE there is really sitting on info on this case and not letting much out at all. I haven't heard them deny that they originally told the parents she was dumped though....

I meant here on the websleuths forum. Where would I create one if inclined? Where would it fit?

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant you couldn't find a thread for her on Websleuths (and neither could I) so this would be the thread focusing on her case.

The reason I added the links to news coverage was not to divert you from websleuths to another source, or to insinuate that her case was being ignored by the press, but so participants here could read the news, become familiar with her case, be encouraged to do their own sleuthing, and get the discussion going.

Her death is tragic on several levels and so easily avoidable.

All I will say on this is that I am 99% sure had I been the woman knocking on the door for help I would be alive today. People are hateful idiots and they are packing. Joy.

*mutters under breath*

This is a tragic case. Can't they interpret these Stand Your Ground laws to only apply if the victim has actually demonstrated they're a threat to the perp's safety?

Unless this guy shot through his own door, he had to pursue her to some degree.

More information in this article

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...f-he-was-afraid-says-atty-for-victims-family/

It sounds as though she sustained a head injury in the car crash and may have been wandering around the neighborhood in a daze. Poor girl. Instead of getting help, she was killed.

Looks like that awesome law just allows people to shoot em up at will. And essplain later. :rolleyes:

Yes, sounds to me like she may have sustained a head injury and was confused or disoriented. She wandered away from people trying to help her. She may have even passed out for a bit. IMO If you're frightened by someone outside your home you do NOT open you locked door and shoot them and then get to claim self-defense. The LE there is really sitting on info on this case and not letting much out at all. I haven't heard them deny that they originally told the parents she was dumped though....

Word^^^^

But the murderer will probably get off. I have lost faith in cases like these.

I'm kinda local to Dearborn Heights, not sure where in Dearborn Heights this happened, it's pretty big. I've seen 2 differing stories on this. 1) she hit a parked car. 2) she hit another car and the driver called 911 and an ambulance. So why would she leave the scene ( which is illegal)to get help?The car accident was appox 16-18 ( in Detroit )miles from where she was shot at. Personally I do not believe she could walk that many miles in 2 hrs. And why go so far to find help? No 24 hr restaurants? gas stations? How much damage to her car?

I'm kinda local to Dearborn Heights, not sure where in Dearborn Heights this happened, it's pretty big. I've seen 2 differing stories on this. 1) she hit a parked car. 2) she hit another car and the driver called 911 and an ambulance. So why would she leave the scene ( which is illegal)to get help?The car accident was appox 16-18 ( in Detroit )miles from where she was shot at. Personally I do not believe she could walk that many miles in 2 hrs. And why go so far to find help? No 24 hr restaurants? gas stations? How much damage to her car?

She was bleeding from the head, possibly disoriented and her cell phone was dead. She was looking for help. A witness said she ran back into her house to call 911 for Renisha, but when she came back out to check on her, she had wandered off.

Seeing as how her head was bleeding and she had just had a car crash, it seems very likely she was hurt, afraid and disoriented.

Instead of help, she was murdered. Awesome.

According to attorney Gerald Thurswell, McBride hit a parked car and "sustained bruises and lacerations" late Nov. 1 or early Nov. 2. Thurswell said that he spoke with people at a home near the scene of the accident who told him they came outside to help McBride and found her bleeding from the head.

Thurswell said that the neighbor went into her home to call 911, and when she came back outside and saw McBride was gone, got in her car to look for her - but couldn't track her down. Thurswell said McBride, whose cell phone was apparently dead, likely wandered the neighborhood for about an hour.

"She knocked on several doors and no one answered," said Thurswell.

The one man who did come to the door, apparently came armed with a shotgun. McBride was shot in the face and died on the man's front porch.

Apparently the homeowner answered the door with his shotgun in his hand and he claims the shotgun discharged accidentally.

What a tragic case.
:(
JMHO
frran

Renisha McBride Shooting: Homeowner who killed teen "could have called 911" if he was afraid, says atty. for victim's family

Thurswell said that the neighbor went into her home to call 911, and when she came back outside and saw McBride was gone, got in her car to look for her - but couldn't track her down. Thurswell said McBride, whose cell phone was apparently dead, likely wandered the neighborhood for about an hour.

full article at link .............. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...f-he-was-afraid-says-atty-for-victims-family/

Apparently the homeowner answered the door with his shotgun in his hand and he claims the shotgun discharged accidentally.

What a tragic case.
:(
JMHO
frran

Renisha McBride Shooting: Homeowner who killed teen "could have called 911" if he was afraid, says atty. for victim's family

full article at link .............. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...f-he-was-afraid-says-atty-for-victims-family/

I personally find that claim suspect.

He thought she was breaking in, came to the door with a loaded shotgun to stand his ground, but the weapon "accidentally" discharged?

Smells really fishy. :nono:

I don't know if I have it in me to follow another of these.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back