The "set up' questions

Blue Bottle 01

Former Member
Reaction score
The "set up" as Patsy called it was the bowl of pineapple with a spoon next to a glass with a tea bag in it on a table in the home.

1. Was the "set up" put together (as found) before JonBenet died?

2. Was the "set up' (as found) the source of the pineapple found in JonBenet's proximal intestine at autopsy?

The "set up" as Patsy called it was the bowl of pineapple with a spoon next to a glass with a tea bag in it on a table in the home.

2. Was the "set up' (as found) the source of the pineapple found in JonBenet's proximal intestine at autopsy?

There is no way to prove when the "set up" was placed, but the pineapple in the bowl and fridge was matched to the pineapple found in her digestive tract. Both the bowl and spoon were from the home (there is a photo of an identical bowl on a table in a photo of the Rs party on the 23rd). The Rs attempted to say that they didn't recognize the bowl but obviously that dog don't hunt. My take on it is that both kids may have had a bedtime snack when they got home that night. The set-up itself had nothing to do with the crime. Nor did the snack itself. Only the LIES about the set up and snack are part of the crime because they attempt to cover up the fact that JB was awake that night and not asleep as the parents claimed.

BR's fingerprints and the pineapple found in JB's digestion. maybe not a 'midnight snack' at midnight on he dot, but JB hadn't digested all of the pineapple before she died. moo

The fingerprints on the bowl is evidence of him touching the bowl not eating pineapple. IMO

The fingerprints on the bowl is evidence of him touching the bowl not eating pineapple. IMO

You are suggesting BR fed JB the pineapple but did not eat it himself? Why would that be significant? I am looking more and more at the pineapple as somehow being a key to understanding this whole thing. It reveals the lies both parents told to LE about JB being asleep after they came home. Why would that be so important to lie about? BR and JB were both up, together. How long, after JB eating the pineapple is it estimated she died?

You are suggesting BR fed JB the pineapple but did not eat it himself? Why would that be significant? I am looking more and more at the pineapple as somehow being a key to understanding this whole thing. It reveals the lies both parents told to LE about JB being asleep after they came home. Why would that be so important to lie about? BR and JB were both up, together. How long, after JB eating the pineapple is it estimated she died?

I'm not suggesting Burke ate any pineapple. His fingerprints on the bowl indicate he may have been part of putting the set up together and may still be able to tell investigators about that if he didn't years ago.

The whole case hinges on the pineapple and the "set up". IMO.

It could have taken as little as 30 minutes for the pineapple to leave the stomach and make it's way to the proximal intestine, The small amount of pineapple was described as having edges as if not chewed and there was no other food material mentioned in the digestive tract.

That is odd for a holiday with all the goodies around.

That suggests to me she was distracted by something for much of the day and gulped the fruit being not much interested in actually eating it. Had she been hungry there would likely have been more of it in the digestive tract.

IMO.

(bbm)
I'm not suggesting Burke ate any pineapple. His fingerprints on the bowl indicate he may have been part of putting the set up together and may still be able to tell investigators about that if he didn't years ago.

The whole case hinges on the pineapple and the "set up". IMO.

It could have taken as little as 30 minutes for the pineapple to leave the stomach and make it's way to the proximal intestine, The small amount of pineapple was described as having edges as if not chewed and there was no other food material mentioned in the digestive tract.

That is odd for a holiday with all the goodies around.

That suggests to me she was distracted by something for much of the day and gulped the fruit being not much interested in actually eating it. Had she been hungry there would likely have been more of it in the digestive tract.

IMO.
From the AR:
The stomach contains a small amount (8-11cc) of viscous to green to tan colored thick mucous material without particulate matter identified. The gastric mucosa is autolyzed but contains no areas of hemorrhage or ulceration. The yellow to light green-tan apparent vegetable or fruit material which may represent fragments of pineapple.
Not sure where you read that the pineapple "was described as having edges as if not chewed," Blue, but that's not what the AR sounds like it's describing.

(bbm)
From the AR:
The stomach contains a small amount (8-11cc) of viscous to green to tan colored thick mucous material without particulate matter identified. The gastric mucosa is autolyzed but contains no areas of hemorrhage or ulceration. The yellow to light green-tan apparent vegetable or fruit material which may represent fragments of pineapple.
Not sure where you read that the pineapple "was described as having edges as if not chewed," Blue, but that's not what the AR sounds like it's describing.

It's in one of the depositions at Acandyrose. I was surprised when I read it. Maybe I'll track it down.

I have ALOT of thoughts on the pineapple "set up". I think we find PR's fingerprints on the bowl because it was used as a small serving bowl (perhaps along with the pancake breakfast). I think Burke removed it from the fridge that night and made the glass of iced tea. We know that JB had pineapple in her digestive tract, so how did she eat it? I'm guessing she used her fingers to snag some pineapple out of Burke's bowl (it's interesting to note here that the child psychologist who later interviewed Burke, made a comment about how Burke bristled when she accidentally took a drink from his soda can.)

Having said all that, my opinion is that the pineapple set up was put together BEFORE JonBenet died, and that it IS the source of the pineapple found in her digestive tract. So, why didn't the Ramsey's get rid of this evidence? Because they didn't KNOW that it figured into the crime, imo.

The fact that the pineapple in her system doesn't appear chewed doesn't surprise me. Small children are well known to cram food in their mouths and swallow without chewing. I think the set up is from a bedtime snack that was set out either by PR or BR and little JB used her fingers to snack on it. The huge spoon leads me to believe it was BR setting out a snack for his sister.

Thanks for your thoughtful replies but I may have dreams about small observative rodents tonight.

I would like to think the recent attempts to contact Burke by Boulder LE was about the "set up". It is crucial.

A couple of thoughts on the “set up”...

The bowl and spoon aren’t nearly as large as they appear in the photo. The bowl can be seen in other pictures from the earlier party here and here. With a small bowl (as this was, which Patsy identified it as Lennox China), the spoon would look larger than it actually is. Most likely it was a tablespoon -- not a teaspoon, not a serving spoon.

The other thing I think people are loosing sight of is that most likely the teabag was not used in the glass it was found in. No one brews hot tea in a drinking glass. It was probably used in something else (Is it a single-serve or family-size teabag?), and then the used teabag placed in an empty glass rather than into the trash while it’s wet and too hot to squeeze out.

June, 1998 Interview:
3 TOM HANEY: You can tell me about the glass
4 and the tea bag, how those got to be there?
5 PATSY RAMSEY: I don't know. I don't. I
6 mean, I make iced tea. I usually boil it in a pan, put
7 the tea bag in and let them steep, and then transfer it
8 to a pitcher and add the sugar. (Inaudible).
9 TOM HANEY: How about that particular glass?
10 PATSY RAMSEY: That is a water glass.

A couple of thoughts on the “set up”...

The bowl and spoon aren’t nearly as large as they appear in the photo. The bowl can be seen in other pictures from the earlier party here and here. With a small bowl (as this was, which Patsy identified it as Lennox China), the spoon would look larger than it actually is. Most likely it was a tablespoon -- not a teaspoon, not a serving spoon.

The other thing I think people are loosing sight of is that most likely the teabag was not used in the glass it was found in. No one brews hot tea in a drinking glass. It was probably used in something else (Is it a single-serve or family-size teabag?), and then the used teabag placed in an empty glass rather than into the trash while it’s wet and too hot to squeeze out.

June, 1998 Interview:
3 TOM HANEY: You can tell me about the glass
4 and the tea bag, how those got to be there?
5 PATSY RAMSEY: I don't know. I don't. I
6 mean, I make iced tea. I usually boil it in a pan, put
7 the tea bag in and let them steep, and then transfer it
8 to a pitcher and add the sugar. (Inaudible).
9 TOM HANEY: How about that particular glass?
10 PATSY RAMSEY: That is a water glass.

And your point is? TIA.

I know that BR was described as the tea drinker, but did he prepare his own hot tea?
Was the microwave within his reach?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back