NC - Camden Johnson, 7 mos, dies of head injuries, 11yo brother charged, 9 Nov 2013

The Cheese

Reaction score
CMPD responded to a home on Saturday on a report of an unresponsive baby. Seven-month-old Camden Johnson was taken to Carolinas Medical Center, where he was pronounced deceased.

Investigators say Camden had been physically assaulted.

Camden's mother, 33-year-old Wendy Johnson, was charged with involuntary manslaughter and child abuse.

On Tuesday, relatives of the deceased infant told NBC Charlotte's Tony Burbeck that Camden's 11-year-old brother killed him "out of jealousy". The family members continued that Johnson wasn't even home at the time of the incident.

Relatives also told NBC Charlotte that the older brother confessed to police on Monday, using a toy doll to illustrate how he dropped Camden three times on his head.

snipped

A press conference is scheduled for Thursday afternoon

http://www.wcnc.com/news/crime/Boy-11-also-charged-in-death-of-infant-231907271.html

Monday, police charged Wendy Latwann Johnson with involuntary manslaughter and child abuse inflicting serious bodily injury in her son's death after being questioned by police.

Johnson made her initial appearance in court on those charges Tuesday afternoon.

After that court hearing is when Johnson's mother, Debra Johnson Sanders, said her grandson confessed to police that he dropped Camden on his head three times on purpose, then put Camden back is his crib and poured water on him to try to wake him up.

Sanders says she was with police as they listened to the boy's confession. She says the boy was jealous of the attention Camden received as an infant.

Sanders says her daughter's mistake was leaving Camden alone for 45 minutes with the older son while she ran an errand, but Johnson is not a child abuser or child killer.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/crime/Family-Infant-killed-by-jealous-brother-231646891.html

so this 11 year old was left in charge of an infant he resented? Nice. SMH
Sanders says she was with police as they listened to the boy's confession. She says the boy was jealous of the attention Camden received as an infant.

Sanders says her daughter's mistake was leaving Camden alone for 45 minutes with the older son while she ran an errand, but Johnson is not a child abuser or child killer.

The family isn't saying if the 11-year-old is in juvenile custody. Neither are police.

Wendy Johnson is due back in court next week for a bond hearing.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/crime/Family-Infant-killed-by-jealous-brother-231646891.html

sits on hands HARD!

She deserves charges for even thinking the oldest was able to look after a 7 month old! So much head shaking right now.

NBC Charlotte ‏@wcnc 2m
New Details: Boy, 11, also charged in death of infant: http://bit.ly/17wbdzi

From the article:

Thursday, NBC Charlotte also learned about Camden's injuries; according to Johnson's arrest warrant, Camden had a hemorrhage to the right eye, injuries to both cheeks, and injuries to the forehead, nose, back of his head and to his lip.

Tony Burbeck WCNC ‏@TonyWCNC 45s

Police say charges are appropriate against mother and 11 year old in 7 month old baby's death

Police say mother not home when infant abused but still bears responsibility for death and that's why she is charged

11 year old charged with child abuse in death of infant charged as juvenile. In custody of his grandparents

thank goodness LE and the DA seem to have some common sense. Kid is 11. Mom is the adult and held to a much higher standard IMO. Sounds like they are same page on that.

My son is 11 and I have to say.. he's really great with babies and children, however I would never leave him to babysit such a tiny being. Not because I don't trust him, but simply because so many things could go wrong. I'm not sure of the laws where they live, but in my state you can't leave your children alone for extended periods of time until they're 14.

RIP sweet baby. I'm so sorry your last moments were so full of fear and pain. It shouldn't have happened.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back