MO - Megan Wright charged with child abuse

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
ST. JOSEPH, Mo. — A St. Joseph woman is behind bars after police say she neglected an infant. Megan Wright has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child under the age of 10 months old.

According to the probable cause statement, St. Joseph police say an infant living in a home off Ridgeway and West Cliff Street was found extremely malnourished. Police said Wright did not seek medical treatment for the baby, which had to be hospitalized.

http://fox4kc.com/2013/11/15/st-joseph-woman-charged-with-endangering-the-welfare-of-child/

A ST. JOSEPH WOMAN WAS CHARGED YESTERDAY WITH FIRST-DEGREE ENDANGERING THE WELFARE OF A CHILD.

COURT DOCUMENTS SHOW THAT 22 YEAR OLD MEGAN WRIGHT IS ACCUSED OF ALLEGEDLY ALLOWING AN INFANT UNDER 10 MONTHS OLD TO BECOME “SEVERELY MALNOURISHED DUE TO NUTRITIONAL NEGLECT, WHICH CAUSED SUBSTANTIAL HEALTH RISK TO THE VICTIM” BETWEEN MAY AND OCTOBER OF THIS YEAR.

WRIGHT IS FURTHER ACCUSED OF NOT SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT FOR THE CHILD, CAUSING THE CHILD TO BE HOSPITALIZED, AS WELL AS FAILING TO PROVIDE EMOTIONAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL CARE FOR THE VICTIM, WHICH RESULTED IN THE VICTIM TO HAVE A GLOBAL DEVELOPMENTAL DELAY.
A WARRANT WITH A $25,000 SURETY BOND HAS BEEN ISSUED IN THE CASE.

www.northwestmoinfo.com/ST-JOE-WOMAN-CHARGED-1st-DEGREE-CHILD-ENDANGERING-/17772428

I hope they take this child away from her permanently. Some witness she made in the Lisa case, huh. Now we truly know who she is!

Is Megan the pink-hair girl with the cell-phone call apparently from the Irwin phone? TIA

Anyone know if this child is Megan's, or how she came to be responsible for her "care"?

Anyone know if this child is Megan's, or how she came to be responsible for her "care"?

She gave birth to the child but it has been removed from her 'care' and is in the hospital.

Look at casenet and it has the name of the dad since she has a case for child support against him.

You have to put in her name and its easier if you add the year

WRIGHT , MEGAN LYNN , Petitioner
6504 RIDGEWAY STREET
ST. JOSEPH, MO 64504

Year of Birth: 1991

STORM , RYAN N. , Respondent
AMERICAN INN
3550 E. EVERGREEN, APT C22
SPRINGFIELD, MO 65803

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases/parties.do

I was told by a verified local she had a child that age, but I'm not sure MSM will release that info as obviously the cild is a minor. They may make it clear (w/o a name) as news progresses on her arrest.

The reason she w a s arrested was not very clear. FTT is an umbrella statement. Was the child not gaining weight ? That in itself can mean there may be other problems. My oldest child was very tiny, under 20 lbs at age one. I would hate to think I could have been arrested because of that. I am sure there is more to it than that when the decision was made to arrested her. I am just wondering what happened.

MOO

She is young and not very nurturing. I don't think the baby was her first (or second) priority.

MOO

The reason she w a s arrested was not very clear. FTT is an umbrella statement. Was the child not gaining weight ? That in itself can mean there may be other problems. My oldest child was very tiny, under 20 lbs at age one. I would hate to think I could have been arrested because of that. I am sure there is more to it than that when the decision was made to arrested her. I am just wondering what happened.

While we don't have any details in the case yet, it's clear what Megan is charged with and why. She is charged with 1st degree child endangerment.

The reasons given are that she allowed her child to be “SEVERELY MALNOURISHED DUE TO NUTRITIONAL NEGLECT," "NOT SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT FOR THE CHILD," and "FAILING TO PROVIDE EMOTIONAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL CARE FOR THE VICTIM."

It's a bit more than a failure to thrive issue in my opinion.

http://www.northwestmoinfo.com/ST-JOE-WOMAN-CHARGED-1st-DEGREE-CHILD-ENDANGERING-/17772428

Failure to thrive is not an umbrella statement. The birth weight and other measurements, such as skull circumference are determined at birth. When ever there is a regression in weight, skull circumference or other benchmarks that are age appropriate for that baby and where it started, then it is determined if an illness is present. IF there is no illness, then the causes of not meeting the benchmarks are environmental/neglect. It doesn't matter if a baby is small or tiny; those measurements/weight are taken into consideration and absence of gain is neglect.

How is failure to thrive diagnosed?

Failure to thrive is usually discovered and diagnosed by the infant's physician. Infants are always weighed and measured when seen by their physicians for well-baby check-ups. The physician initiates a more complete evaluation when the infant's development and functioning are found to be delayed.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/pediatrics/failure_to_thrive_90,P02297/

While we don't have any details in the case yet, it's clear what Megan is charged with and why. She is charged with 1st degree child endangerment.

The reasons given are that she allowed her child to be “SEVERELY MALNOURISHED DUE TO NUTRITIONAL NEGLECT," "NOT SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT FOR THE CHILD," and "FAILING TO PROVIDE EMOTIONAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL CARE FOR THE VICTIM."

It's a bit more than a failure to thrive issue in my opinion.

http://www.northwestmoinfo.com/ST-JOE-WOMAN-CHARGED-1st-DEGREE-CHILD-ENDANGERING-/17772428

All of the things you mentioned are criteria of diagnosing Failure to Thrive. There were several times when I worked in the DV shelter that we had to call CPS for this very reason and babies were removed from the parent.

Failure to thrive is usually discovered and diagnosed by the infant's physician. Infants are always weighed and measured when seen by their physicians for well-baby check-ups. The physician initiates a more complete evaluation when the infant's development and functioning are found to be delayed.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healt...ive_90,P02297/

All of the things you mentioned are criteria of diagnosing Failure to Thrive. There were several times when I worked in the DV shelter that we had to call CPS for this very reason and babies were removed from the parent.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healt...ive_90,P02297/

Does a diagnoses of failure to thrive automatically mean that a criminal act of child neglect has taken place? In other words, do all cases of failure to thrive derive from criminal child neglect?

I don't think so. Your link has this.
Organic failure to thrive occurs when there is an underlying medical cause.

That's why I said that it's a bit more than a failure to thrive issue in this case. Not seeking medical care for the child is a criminal act and not a medical issue in my opinion.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/pediatrics/failure_to_thrive_90,P02297/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back