Safest Way to Sell Large Items?

TracyLynnS

Reaction score
I don't know where else to put this question. Hope I'm in the right spot.

We moved and my parents sold their house, moved out of state, and gave me a bunch of their stuff, all within the last few months.

I have a couple sets of bedroom furniture, a couple dining room sets (one with 6 chairs, beverage cart, china cabinet, etc), curio cabinets.... Stuff that's too big to sell on craigslist in a safe meetup spot.

What's the safest way to sell large stuff like this?

I'm going to have a yard sale next spring, but would like to get all this furniture out of my house ASAP because it's taking up so much space.

If I use Craigslist, the potential buyers would actually have to come to my house to see the furniture. Not a safe scenario, although in the 80s I sold all my old baby furniture through the newspaper classifieds and didn't have anything bad happen with the strangers who came buy it, but times have changed.

I haven't used Ebay in forever, and don't know much about the Ebay local feature.

Advice? Should I just wait until spring and drag it all out into the driveway for a yard sale?

Also, I have two gigantic boxes full of beanie babies. Anyone interested? :floorlaugh:

If they are nice things, take some photos. See if any nearby antiques stores would be interested, or auction houses, some auction houses take things that are not antiques. Some second hand stores will buy larger items too, but you may have to look around for one. They could tell you any interest from some photos of each side of the items. You could even email photos to some larger places.

I know how you feel, especially if the house is not that large for storing extra furniture. I eneded up giving away most of my mother's furniture because my husband gets too irritated easily with yard sales and/or extra stuff around. Oh vey......

That said, my neighbor sold her mother's furniture all of it rather successfully in yard sales over 2 summers , but most of it went the first year. I was surprised, but some people are very lucky with them too.

I suppose it depends on whose doing the looking and what they are searching for.

Good luck.

p.s. I agree with you concerning Craig's list. You can't control who is coming over your house. Whenever anyone did, I always made sure I would go outside and write down their tag number on the car first, (not sure what I thought I would do with it though, lol) but it was usually better than not. And my husband was always home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back