KY - Candace Belt, 22, & Gloria Ross, 18, murdered, Oak Grove, 20 Sept 1994

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/21/justice/kentucky-prostitute-murders-cold-case/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- For 19 years, the cold case of two slain prostitutes weighed heavily on the small military town of Oak Grove, Kentucky, especially after the brothel's madam publicly accused two allegedly corrupt police officers of the killings.

Because the madam's accusation was boldly made during a City Council meeting three years after the deaths, everyone in town has long known of the suspicions, but local police and the Christian County Sheriff's Office were unable to crack the case.

Now, a seven-year investigation by the Kentucky State Police has resulted in charges against the two police officers, both of whom have since left the force, and a third man. One of the former officers was a detective who appeared at the crime scene with other officers to investigate the killings, said one former officer who was first on the scene.

More at link.....

That's an incredible article. It says that more arrests are to come and that the police messed up the crime scene of the murder.

Makes me think of Holly Bobo and the Indiana man who was arrested for saying a policeman was involved.

Christian County, Kentucky, and Fort Campbell, Kentucky, are not all that far from where Holly Bobo disappeared from her home in Darden, Tennessee. It's an easy two-hour drive under normal conditions, less than 85 miles I'd say.

I'm glad somebody on the force wasn't afraid to go after them.

That is so upsetting. Cops like that give the good, hardworking, fair policemen a bad name.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Indeed. I am reminded of the case of Terrance Williams, who was likely murdered by a nutjob who happened to be a police officer. Terrance's case is featured on Investigation Discovery (ID) "Disappeared", Season 5, Episode 3, "Crime and Punishment".

That is so upsetting. Cops like that give the good, hardworking, fair policemen a bad name.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

You are right. Cases like this make me not take LE statements and actions as automatically correct or even honest when there is a controversy over the facts. In fact it infuriates me when juries take what LE testifies to as the gospel when there is a he said/she said.

That isn't fair to the good cops but there are just to many cops who are dishonest at the least and crooked criminals at worst. ANd the thin blue line is awfully thick in places.

You are right. Cases like this make me not take LE statements and actions as automatically correct or even honest when there is a controversy over the facts. In fact it infuriates me when juries take what LE testifies to as the gospel when there is a he said/she said.

That isn't fair to the good cops but there are just to many cops who are dishonest at the least and crooked criminals at worst. ANd the thin blue line is awfully thick in places.

The trial I sat on a jury for had a guy who I'm sure was/is(?) a crooked cop. His testimony didn't affect the verdict, but his memory of the events were different from the rest. He said he could see the kid stash the crack in the dryer, but the cops who were standing in front of him could not.

The issue of the stashing of the crack became a non issue because there were some questions about the chain of evidence being compromised. So they dropped that charge during the trial.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/21/justice/kentucky-prostitute-murders-cold-case/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- For 19 years, the cold case of two slain prostitutes weighed heavily on the small military town of Oak Grove, Kentucky, especially after the brothel's madam publicly accused two allegedly corrupt police officers of the killings.

Because the madam's accusation was boldly made during a City Council meeting three years after the deaths, everyone in town has long known of the suspicions, but local police and the Christian County Sheriff's Office were unable to crack the case.

Now, a seven-year investigation by the Kentucky State Police has resulted in charges against the two police officers, both of whom have since left the force, and a third man. One of the former officers was a detective who appeared at the crime scene with other officers to investigate the killings, said one former officer who was first on the scene.

More at link.....

Excellent article Reader, thank you for posting it.

The trial I sat on a jury for had a guy who I'm sure was/is(?) a crooked cop. His testimony didn't affect the verdict, but his memory of the events were different from the rest. He said he could see the kid stash the crack in the dryer, but the cops who were standing in front of him could not.

The issue of the stashing of the crack became a non issue because there were some questions about the chain of evidence being compromised. So they dropped that charge during the trial.

Scary isn't it. I just hope that people become more aware they can question findings and look for evidence to uphold what is said by LE. The problem really becomes big when its a sheriff or police chief.

I rarely believe eyewitness testimony unless it is someone who the witness knew before the crime and/or was in a certain short distance from the 'perpetrator.' Those photo line-ups where they show a witness 6 different photos of black-haired white men with moustaches always worry me. Are they identifying the perpetrator or the picture that looks closest to the bad guy to please the police? Are they aware they might be doing that? It is a very complex psychological process broken down in movies to one person pointing at the 'Perp' saying, "That's him! I am 100% sure."

Were these cops identified via photo lineup?

No, they were all LE who knew each other and saw the evidence tampered at the scene.

The OP article has been updated.

Jury acquits 2 of killing prostitutes in 1994 in Oak Grove
Two men, including a former police officer, have been acquitted in the slayings of two western Kentucky brothel workers 22 years ago.

The Kentucky New Era reports a jury acquitted 46-year-old Ed Carter and 42-year-old Frank Black of murder Wednesday in the cold-case deaths of 18-year-old Gloria Ross and 22-year-old Candace Belt. The women were shot and stabbed at New Life Massage Parlor in Oak Grove in September 1994.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back