MD MD - Tyson Barnette, 26, Cheverly, 23 Nov 2013

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/2...yland/?cmpid=edpick&google_editors_picks=true

A mail carrier with the U.S. Postal Service was shot and killed Saturday night while making deliveries in Maryland......

Prince George's County Police identified the victim as Tyson Jerome Barnette, 26. Police confirmed that he was a U.S. Postal Service employee on duty at the time of the murder, The Washington Post reported. .....

A reward of up to $25,000 is being offered for information that leads to an arrest, MyFoxDC.com reported.

Little more at link.....

Hits home - my dad carried mail for 20+ years.

Rest in peace, Tyson Jerome Barnette.

Geez.....a mailman was shot while delivering mail? Is nothing sacred anymore? I just don't get this. This world is going to hell in a hand basket.

A few of Mr Barnette's co-workers were interviewed here at this link. They deliver mail at 7:30 pm in the dark......that seems crazy to me and I have no idea why so late. One worker says the post office won't call them in earlier. Also mentioned many prior robberies of postal workers in this high crime area.

"The US Postal Inspection Service is offering a reward up to $100,000 for information in connection with the shooting death of a postal worker Saturday night."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Postal-Worker-Shot-Killed-in-Cheverly-233182551.html

why on earth are they delivering mail at night?! that does not happen where I live (in fact, they rarely work past noon hour)

it's very possible this is a case of mistaken identity

the offices are understaffed and when the mail is heavy it is cheaper to have the carriers work long hours than it is to hire more carriers.

from the initial details available right now i would say this is very likely going to end in a civil suit against the post office and probably rightfully so.

for now lets just hope they catch the person that took this poor man's life. RIP

I'm wondering if someone he had not delivered to yet had said they were expecting cash in the mail that day / evening. Maybe the perp wanted to intercept something?

I know our UPS man comes late at night, sometimes 8pm, so it is not just the post office.

I know our UPS man comes late at night, sometimes 8pm, so it is not just the post office.

Most Post Office workers only work a 1/2 day on Saturday. It's possible that this man may have been covering for another person who may have booked off. Seems as if there is a bug going around and a lot of people are sick.

This isn't far from the DC/Maryland border. This part of Prince Georges County is pretty rough, lots of murders, drugs, robberies, gangs, etc. This victim was involved in a fight with charges just a year ago, as well? RIP.

We got a new postman when our usual one retired around a year and a half ago. We got our mail at 10:30am with our old one and now it is at 6 or sometimes 6:30pm with our new one. I called the postmaster and he said that the postman gets to decide how to run the route. The new one just reversed the way the old one ran it. None of us like it! With the time change, it is always dark when the mail comes now.

I hope LE finds out who did this to Tyson Barnette. He was so young. This was such a needless, senseless murder.

GB his family and friends. I hope they get justice for their loved one.

Hits home - my dad carried mail for 20+ years.

Rest in peace, Tyson Jerome Barnette.

GB Tyson Barnette, his friends, and most of all his family.

We haven't really gotten to know our new postman like we did our old one. We always gave our postman Christmas cookies and a small gift certificate to a local coffee shop. When he brought my medical and other packages in the summer, I would make him take a bottle of cold water with him because you could see how hot he was. We loved him.

Our new postman will be getting Christmas cookies and a small gift certificate for coffee..............hopefully we will get to know him too.

I hope the killer is found. I wonder if we will ever know WHY he was shot.

Fatal shooting of postal worker is reminder of risks and latest in attacks on federal workers

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...5fb88a-5612-11e3-835d-e7173847c7cc_story.html

.......The Prince George’s police say there is no information about who did it or why “that can be released.”

Barnette’s death is the latest in a recent string of homicides of federal workers and contractors. Aaron Alexis, a Defense Department contractor, shot up the Washington Navy Yard in September, killing 12 before he was gunned down by police......

At this point, officials are not saying whether the shooting was linked to his work or not. They won’t say whether he was robbed. The sparse police document says officers found Barnette in the 1600 block of Reed Street in Landover: “He was pronounced dead on the scene.”

Rewards totaling $125,000 have been offered for the arrest and indictment of those responsible. Maybe that will draw out the information needed to catch the killer or killers.

Somebody knows something.

Barnette’s cousin, Marlos Barnette, said the letter carrier was a top-notch football player and wrestler at Northwestern High School in Rock Hill, S.C.

“He loved his family,” Marlos said.

A man visiting his mother, who lives close to the crime scene, said he heard what sounded like two guns. One made a “big boom.” The other sounded like a rapid-fire pistol. The man said he didn’t see anything. He spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was concerned about retribution.

More at link.....

Are there no surveillance cameras down the street in which this diligent postal worker was delivering mail?

Hope they find the heartless murdering coward. Senseless tragedies like this should not happen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back